crower clutch fingers

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BBFA_Pilot, May 10, 2009.

1. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

Hi guys.

Found a thrust bearing had seized on my last run last weekend and it's worn the clutch fingers down to a stub... yea I know, a few extra seconds on the throttle and it could have ALL gone very very messy.

Anyway, I have been offered clutch fingers for a crowerglide, but I am running a standard pedal clutch. Looking at the crower clutches catalog pdf file (http://www.crower.com/pdf/189-196.pdf) both clutch assemblies look to have identical clutch fingers.

Would I be right in thinking that clutch fingers are quite generic in manufacture or are fingers tailor made for different applications. Either way I need to know whether or not these offered fingers would be suitable, or if I need to go looking for specific fingers for the clutch. Also the sooner I know the better, we got a busy racing schedule ahead.

Many thanks!
    Joe

2. eli

eli Banned

No way Joe, glide fingers are differant than pedal fingers.

3. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

Thanks Eli, thats all I needed to know.

Gotta start routing around for a set of fingers and a thrust bearing (Or is it more formally known as a throwout bearing?)

Many thanks!
    Joe

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I bet you are going to have to go to Crower for those. I doubt that anyone would just have fingers laying around and if they are they are probably worn ones that have been taken off. There wear eggshaped in the pivot holes.

5. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

Hi Mike;

Yea I'm beginning to come to that conclusion too. It was lucky we checked it actually, after a successful weekend racing (we took the NFAA win at the Springspeed Nationals), and the routine engine servicing and clutch maintenance, found we couldn't depress the clutch pedal.

Saw all six of the tips of the fingers had worn flat, and the thrust bearing, when you spun it, sounded like something hard going through a blender! Hopefully we can make it out for 2 weeks time, been invited to race at the FIA 'Main Event' which is one of the biggest races in europe as part of a invitational with 5 other fuel altereds, really looking forward to it.

6. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Joe......
    when Bob Molinari worked for crower a few years ago, he told me at that time that they made 2 different fingers for a pedal clutch. one set is a little more aggressive than the other....just something else to look at when you buy new ones.

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

As others have said, you will probably have to go through Crower, although Boninfante claims to have repair parts for almost any clutch. Molinari worked for Crower pretty much since the beginning of the Crowerglide, and he has probably forgotten more about clutches than most of us could ever hope to know. lol.

Be sure to weigh one of your old levers to make sure you're getting the same pedal clutch lever since they'll determine the part by clutch model and weight of the lever.

8. Rodney O. Trower

Rodney O. Trower New Member

I have a set of new 180 thick if you need em.

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

fingers

If you want to get a new set of fingers, you can arrange to have them shipped to me by Wednesday, I can have them for you at the track in Santa Pod on Thursday when I arrive.

Email me at will.hanna@insidetopalcohol.com

10. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

Don't fancy smuggling any other bits do you Will ha ha :D

11. nitrorelapse

nitrorelapse Member

crower levers

I recently purchased a set from Crower they are just over $200.00 US. You need to know the width of your levers. Their is a .187 wide and a .221 wide. Between them their is a 9.5 gram difference in weight. This would play HAVOC with your clutch tune up.

12. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Is this thrust bearing a "throwout bearing" by any chance? Dave Germain

13. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

Hi guys.

We were able to get a replacement set from a TAD racer over here, but I will obviously need to get another set as replacement, so any part numbers etc if people have them would be great (The crower site doesn't seem so keen on giving you part numbers)

Will; Thank you very much for the kind offer, luckily we were able to get something at short notice, the clutch is now actually back assembled ready for the Main Event. If i'm around the alcohol pits i'll have to come by Dannys pit and say hello.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Regards
    Joe

14. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

I was told that the wide 1/4 fingers are funnycar and the narrow ones are for dragsters.......

15. danny

danny compet elimin

Will how many orders can you handle when you come over to Europe?:D danny

16. Eric David Bru

you need to call Roger @ Crower.

EDB

17. nitrorelapse

nitrorelapse Member

Crower PN# 78410PS1-6 Centrifugal Arms .187 thick. The thinner / lighter .187 arms are sometimes referred to as Funny Car arms. The thicker / heavier ie: more aggressive arms are referred to as Dragster arms