Crank hub galling

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Tim Stevens, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Mark,

At PRI, the RCD guys had a splined crank and a new splined hub. I was hoping someone would have responded to your question.

Rapid

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. ITS IN MY BLOOD

David baca runs a splined hub

3. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

A question:
    The titanium hub seemed to cure the hub galling issue. What would titanium pushrod cups do?

4. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

good call T Howell..... this guy is thinking:) Dave Lowe

5. BOBBY MARTINDALE

Hubs

Lots Of Never Seize On Hubs And Crank= No Problem.stp On Push Rod Cups And Prime Eng. W/out Spark Plugs ,oil 100psi=no Problm

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

we have ordered splined crank from Bryant, but it is not yet delivered or tested by us- but we have high hopes:)

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

spline crank

talked to lance at flanakin crankshaft specialties about them. said they work good...about half the fuel teams are running them. it's an expensive changeover, especially if you have a lot of gear.

in the alky ranks the above mentioned remedies appear to be working...mainly get the titanium hub. i have yet to hear someone that has done the above methods and still have a bunch of galling problems....at least on alky.

8. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

splined?

why would you want less contact area between crnk & hub, ? are the hubs shearing the the keyways ? & am sure a splined crnk cost more $$ & you probably need some new frt cover parts from rcd also ? , sounds like a pretty expensive fix , to me

9. lugnut

lugnut Member

If the hub is goin on tight , could the gauling be occuring during installation? We take a sand paper style flapper wheel and polish the inside of the hub,we also use neverseize and have never had any gualing problems.Also check the crank hub bolt every few runs.

10. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Most of the gauling problems are the result of punishment the engine is taking. Detonation is the main culprit. All of the above remidies will work if the engine is happy.

11. OzAlky

OzAlky Member

I agree 100%.
    If you ever have a problem on a run that causes det. Loss of fuel pressure, loss of a cylinder, etc. the galling will be really bad.

12. Greg Sereda

Greg Sereda New Member

One area that no one has mentioned to do when installing your crank hub to the crank is to pre install the key ways on the crank and check the dimensions of the crank and key ways and then check the dimensions of the hub at the key way to make sure you have the proper fit. I fill fit my keys to the proper dimensions to eliminate any problems with to tight or too lose keys which could contribute to the problem of gauling. It’s surprising the difference of the fit of the hub if you take the time to do this little extra step.

13. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

The Big Fix

THIS IS A PIC , OF THE BOLT & WASHER COMBO THAT WILL FIX THE
    GAULING ISSUE , & CAN BE SOLD @
    SNYDER MOTORSPORTS 219-987-2921
    R.B.S SUPERCHARGERS 530-292-3368
    AUTOMAN - ETC . -530-885-8815
    CLICK ON LINK TO SEE BIGGER PIC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  14. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

instead of 6 foot bars and pipes on the end of torque wrenches how come ive never seen anybody use a torque multiplier? Also if you have the pan off you can just about fit a hardened deep socket between a counterweight and above the pan rail on a billet BAE block to hold the crank.
    A-FuelFreak that bolt & washer worked like a charm. thanks again(Atlanta)

15. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

You can use a torque multiplier. Its just that most people don't have one and they are pretty expensive.