Cost per run - Parts Attrition ?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Les Mellows, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

If any of you have the direct knowledge of your cost per run I'd like to compare the Information to our operation which we would calculate in Canadian Francs . What I am looking for is maybe easier in a formula like total dollars from starting the car the first time of the year to the last run divide by the total runs made . My thought is if we generate enough fact based information from reliable sources we would get a good idea what we need to charge for match races, to sanctioning bodies and marketing partners . We all know we need 'MO MONEY' but how much is enough ?? Please no " if this was " or " if we did this " just what ever you can justify as a real cost to making each lap . This could be very interesting if done correctly !

2. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

Damn Les, I thought you guys had enough money with that big money operation you guys have! HaHa! Just Kidding

Merry Christmas

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

we figure on about $1500 a run give or take a few hundred on jason's car. thats just attrition/depreciation. thats not damage.

that figure came from about 5hr session with myself and bruce meyer with all of jay meyer's statements, etc in front of us to work with. interestingly enough, when we took out the blown expenses that afuelers wouldnt have, and added the expenses that a/fuelers have that blown cars dont have, it came out to about 350 a race less, less than 100 a run.

4. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Roughly $800 dollars per lap for your average a-fuel car.

Will, $1500? Are you sure about that?

5. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Will,
    Please explain what you mean by "it came out to 350 or less than 100"?
    Did your figures come out to 350 less for afuel car, or less than 100.
    It should be obvious to anyone that the cost is greater than you could possibly win. The only way to make ends meet is with sponsor.
    Did your cost per run include crew pay?

6. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

CREW PAY?!!!!
    You mean we're suppose to get paid!!!! LOL

7. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

$350 per race
    < $100 per run

8. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bob i was just saying that the per race total was less than $350, which is less than $100 per pass when you divide that up. included in that estimate was paying tom conway to tune and stacy mclemore.

ch3no2 - where do you get your facts?

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Just like to have one crew guy, to help dad Larry and I,LOL.

10. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Mind you we are a way low buck team. We run fat and happy. In the last two years of running we have only killed one piston. The bigest thing we found to keep cost down is replacing the the wear parts before the leave the motor without taking off the pan. 16 runs to rods, checking brg. every run, valve springs when they loose %15, lube the pushrods every run, check the pistons around the wrist pin after each week out and after if we shake the tires. But at track cost is only part of the story. I luckly or maybe not, have a CPA for a wife, she has worked it out to about $678.32 in parts a run over a year with all the mainantce. Now if you figure all the cost running a team it is 2X's to 3X's that. Not counting our new toter we spent $1395.02 a run

Thanks
    Bob

11. Will Hanna

Staff Member

bob,

switch to grp rods, you should be able to get 20+ runs out of them.

**when counting runs on rods, if it did a burnout, its a run

12. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Will, if we get are sponsor package finshed soon, we will be upgrading. When we were out at PRI we talk with both Brooks and GRP. We have run the B2's with a fuel pin (Heavy). With a sponsor we will have to lean on it more. They want us to be compitive in IHRA (Small blower 526-540CID less rpms)I would like to get 24-32 runs, so we would replace then after 2 wins in a row LOL
    Thanks
    Bob

13. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

we rev our motor to 9500 and pitch the rods at 8runs(veney BNR roots motor))we have used them all after 10 in our deal the fuse is lit!!buy the cheapest hard rod and pitch em often. words of wisdom from a true low buck racer thats been around the block with rod propaganda!!

14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

When I was Indy, I talked to a few FC teams that ran the GRP rods. Most were pushing 18-20 runs depending on RPM.

15. alkyfan

alkyfan New Member

When I asked many of the fast guys if they could get 20 runs out of the grp rods they told me they didn't want to find out. One even told me "thats like playing with fire, sooner or later your gonna get burnt". So my question is why do some people say they can get 20 runs, and a lot of the guys that run their stuff hard say they can only get 15 max?

16. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

I have ran GRP rods for 4 year now. WE have ran then up to 25 runs. Never kick a rod out with grp. AT e-town we made 3 run on the rev limiter and then went columbus and made five more runs on then.

17. NITROITCH

NITROITCH New Member

Seriously, KJ, how fast (not e.t.) did you run, and what was your rev limit set on?? Never threw rods out before, but I think it happens mostly at the top end of track when clutch should be locked, I think???? thanks for info,,warren d

18. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

I got my facts from Bill Reichert
    Think about it, 14 quarts of oil, 16 spark plugs, new clutch pack, roughly 8 gallons of nitro, probably a couple of rod bearings, the cost of tires divided by the number of runs you get on them. Plus normal where and tear. It adds up quick.

[ December 19, 2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: ch3no2 ]

19. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

We run our GRP rods as many as 25 runs. Of course if we abuse them we might take them out sooner. The earliest we pulled a set of rods this year was 18 runs, after freewheeling the engine. Knock on wood, we had zero lower engine problems this year. I buy mine like everyone else, so this is just deserved appreciation.

BTW Will, Didn't you doubt me on this same point earlier this year. LOL

Merry Christmas,

20. Lawren Jones

Lawren Jones Comp Eliminator

What is the price for a set of GRP's.

Thanks