Coan XST Powerglide

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, May 22, 2008.

1. Mac

Mac Member

I agree I don't want to rush it. But I'm running out of time due to our short season. It sounds like Jason and Dave Coan are going to make it right on their part to keep me happy.

2. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Lowcountry,
    How would you compare the glide to the Bruno setup? Do you use one for slick tracks or is performance about the same with either. Seems like the difference in # of gears and ratios would make it hard to compare.

3. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

since i can use the same converter with either tranny i have been able to make a comparison between the two. both have a 1.80 1st gear ratio - the bruno/lenco has a 1.44 2nd gear ratio that the XLT doesn't have. the 60' numbers are almost the same as well as the 330' times. the XLT is almost 100 pounds lighter than the bruno/lenco and i believe that is where the 1/8 mile times come out to almost the same. the tuneabliity of both trannys is the same regardless of the conditions of the racetrack - vary the start line rpm and the shift point rpms. in some cases on a slick track not having the 2nd gear shift helps eliminate additional tire spin. as long as the XLT has the strength to survive i think it appears to have more advantages in this car than the bruno/lenco - it also is easier to drive with less going on. my other car the bruno/lenco set up will stay due to the motor needing the 2nd gear to make it run. i can start it in 1st or 2nd gear - it helps this car when the track goes away with high track temperatures - over 115'.

4. BUTCH

BUTCH Member

Mikes glides do hold up !!!!!!

Mike at Mikes Trans in Ca. 661 723 0081 has one of the best units out there, I have been running one in a blown alky dragster with a 206D screw for the pass 5 years and no failures at all !!!! we run the car at 6.30 to 6.00 flat and at 2100 lbs. this is not a new thing for Mike, it is proven to hold up, He also runs what he makes and has gone 5.97 at 232 MPH, he will put a complete package together for you or just sell you what you need. you can't go wrong by giving him a call. besides he is one of the nices guy to deal with.
    good luck

5. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

Hey guys let's not forget one of the most important parts of getting down the track w/ impressive #'s....the converter! You all really need to check out NCRC's prototype all billet aluminum converter. DeCerbo's .937 60' w/ this prototype is pretty impressive.

Why not go w/ one of the most successful bolt together companies around? Call Marty and just see what he can do for ya!...doesn't hurt to call. :rolleyes: 316-542-9869

www.racingconverters.com

6. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i also have a 2 piece chance converter. i won't tell which one i use - i'll save that for another time - but i painted the one i use (not black or teal green) to keep others from knowing which one i use. i'm on the east coast - hence the shipping costs have become a factor on who i've used for my tranny solutions. i have heard many good things about mike's trannys but i do not know first hand anyone around here who uses them. there are very few tranny manufacturers who make a 1.25" input on their converters so the field is limited as who can work with you.

7. Flyboy68

Flyboy68 Member

NCRC makes a converter for the ATI! :D :eek: But who wants to lease their stuff???

8. Mac

Mac Member

I was going to go with Mike's trans setup and talked to him a couple times(great guy). But Coan's 1.25" input and the bolt together converter sold me due to the fact I can service my own converter because shipping from up here breaks the bank account.

9. lowcountry71

lowcountry71 New Member

i believe the ati rental tranny has only a 1 3/16" input. also you are required to give it back to them every year for refreshing at $500.00 (plus shipping) a pop for 5 years b4 you own it. i have used ati stuff in the past but never had one to take on the type of motors i have now. not to say they don't have one that will work - i am saying the 1.25" input has yet to cause me a problem.

10. Mac

Mac Member

I checked into the ATI Superglide III before I ordered the Coan XST. Its $7500 for the trans/converter up front and $650/year for 5 years($3250)to freshen plus shipping.Shipping for me would be $450 round trip so another $2250 for the 5. Oh ya after the 5 years you buy it for $1. Thats a cool $13 000 at the end of it

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008