cn's small block chevy block

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blownmudrail, Jan 2, 2009.

1. William Payne

William Payne New Member

I thought that long stroke thing sounded funny , I was in a conversation on another forum about bore and stroke ratio's in the current nitro categories and Frank Oglesby told me

"No Race engine builder on this planet would start out to build anything other than a farm tractor with a Bore of 4.187 and a stroke of 4.5---There would be NO advantage of any kind ever for any reason.
    It is the nhra rules which has BOTH a Max (500) and a MINIMUM (490)
    Rules written by people who have no clue as to what they are doing ALWAYS have unexpected consequences.
    In this case at some time(Before Forged Blocks) the 4.250 bore sleeves used for so long would not stay round with the increased cyl PSI.
    As nhra had a bore center rule(4.80) to make the sleeve thicker you HAD to make it smaller----In this case 4.187 and as there was a minimum size you were FORCED to run the 4.5 stroke.
    The whole thing sucks so if you are running a Nitro car other than the so called big show--Forget all that big stroke/little bore stuff because it's silly."

I know what he said is about nitro but I will allways remember that.

2. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

I think the classes that will really benefit from that are the ones like drag radial at MIR where the big block is only allowed a 10.2 deck height this limits the stroke on a big block to about 4,75 due to ring pack placement. This results in a 632 the same 4.75 stroke and 4.280 bore on the small block will net you 546 cubes. Then the weight break, 3300 vs 2700 in a class that has severe traction limits, I think this is the kind of application where this overgrown small block will really shine.

On the other hand with a 4.5 stroke you would still have 518 cubes and with the 10.2 deck you would have a decent skirt and ring placement for a blown deal, I would love to see one with CFE little chiefs and a D series on top :rolleyes: