Clutch work between rounds-Pro Mod vs TAFC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Barry Ferriolo, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Barry Ferriolo

If the top running teams in Pro Mod go 12 rounds before they change the clutch discs and floaters, why is it necessary to change them every round on a TAFC?

2. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

#1 - the Sheik's Pro Mod gets the clutch pulled every round :cool:

#2 - Some aren't as anal about overall flatness in the pack, but the less flat it is, the more chance you chunk a disc.

#3 - Bronze Floaters

#4 - Roots PM's with steel are usually only slipping for .5 to .75 seconds, compared to the screw car where dust is flying for quite a ways. (Just covering Roots too).

In all honesty, if you want an apples to apples comparison on changes, pulling the clutch, changing/grinding steel floaters and surfacing the discs helps maintain consistency in the can. Those Pro Mod guys pull the clutch and the disc has a mirror finish on it.. Some guys have done it long enough they know how much more clutch to put on it for a 3rd, 4th or 5th run disc/floater pack. Probably the biggest reasons those guys don't pull it every round is ease of access, manpower and time constraints. It's fairly simple to pull the driveshaft and tranny out on a TAFC or TAD, not so easy when you take the same tranny, longer driveshaft and put it all in a small cage and give 30-40 minutes for turnaround.

3. DQUES

DQUES Member

Frankie Taylor switched to a Lencodrive set up this year in his ADRL PM and the main reason he gave was lack of time and hands between rounds to work on the clutch . He has since set the ADRL record at 3.60 in the 1/8th .

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

outlaw pm

Let's not forget most of the outlaw pm's with clutches have lockup clutches, so they don't see near the slippage.

5. Barry Ferriolo

i'm talking about nhra legal pro mods going 12 rounds. would you be just as consistent if you ran a tafc in the 70's or 80's? a person once told me that there is a "red dot theory". If frank manzo has a red dot on his car, you need to get one!

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

NHRA Promods do not launch at the high RPMs that a NHRA TAFC with a screw blower does. That high RPM launch is real hard on a clutch. I know that a TAFC can go for more than one round on a clutch pack but it is so easy to pull the clutch when the body is off.

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Using the word consistent and NHRA legal Pro Mod in the same statement is kind of funny.. Its about consistency in the can. If you're running 70's and 80's and are satisfied with that, well then try whatever you like. Discs get hard and glazed, which usually means adding more clutch. If you aren't trying to squeeze every last bit out of it, it works fine. Keep an eye on your floaters though. They will warp and can cause chunking on discs just from heat sink from the crank.

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

changing the clutch

Barry,

I have no way of commenting on legal pro mods, but here's my thoughts on why we resurface the clutch. You can make multiple passes on a screw blower car on the clutch and get away with it, it's the consistency element.

In my opinion, when you start making multiple runs on the pack, it's very hard to stay on top of how the pack is going to react. You are already chasing a number of variables on these cars that you can't control such as weather and track conditions. I think it's the third or fourth run on the pack that really starts getting into the unknown territory on the pack. Do I add two grams, do I add three...?? As picky as funny cars can be that can be the difference in shake or a good run - those two or three grams. Also a number of factors like Justin mentioned, is the pack too glazed? Is a disc chunked? When you are really chasing points and the like, you just can't afford to leave those kinds of things to chance. The only way to know is to take them out and look at them.

Another thing is that this significantly reduces the life of your floaters if you are running steel. Kerry at the Boninfante truck used to tell me about how much more he had to cut off so and so's floaters because he made multiple runs on them.

If you look at most of the top running cars, they resurface the same discs from the last run and only replace discs as they are needed (when one gets too thin). You control what you are starting with every run; every time you go to the line, you have a fresh cut pack.

The othe side of this equation is if you don't pay very very close attention to your resurfacing program, cutting discs/floaters between rounds can do as much harm as it does good. A taper cut pack may get better after a run or so because the clutch as 'seated.' You have to constantly check everything to make sure something such as a bearing or plate in your clutch machine isnt causing it to cut tapered. I always advise my customers to have no more than .0005 taper.

9. TOL

TOL Active Member

Do bronze floaters help much in terms of being able to go multiple runs, versus plain steel?.....

10. Barry Ferriolo

good question.

11. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

It has been my experience that as long as the tune-up is close, bronze bonded floaters stay flatter longer. They also have less of a tendancy to weld themselves to the discs because they don't smear like the bare steel does, leaving all those rough spots. Not saying they're bulletproof by any means, but outside of making them out of a different steel that would lose aggression, they are the best suited floaters for repeated abuse without service. The only downside is you could buy 4-5 steels @ $70/each for the price of 1 Bronze.

A really good racer told me once that you can make anything work for you with enough testing and learning. Same holds true here I think with leaving the clutch in.

12. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

Pulling the clutch on any car is a pain. I guess I'm just lazy. Like I said in another post-my clutch has about 20 runs on it, and the last 3 were within 5 hundredths of each other. It takes right at 10 thousands off each pass so if the discs were "glazing up" it shouldn't wear that evenly. I guess if you want to go to the trouble of taking it out every pass, go ahead but untill I lose consistency I will leave it in. I will relace it soon as the discs are getting thin.Like I said, I'm just lazy. :)

Dale Hill

13. Barry Ferriolo

i'm just thinking that maybe for the cars that run... say in the 5.70 area, that it may not be an absolute necessity - like it seems to be - to change the clutch after each pass, provided it's cooled before going out, again like the pro mods.

14. Jason Bunker

Jason Bunker Member

We can put 3-4 runs on the clutch in our car and get away with it. We wear about 2-3 thou off every run, except the 1st run.(obviously) We run the clutch very "heavy" on the base and counter and it works well for us. There is minimal separation on the 1-2 and none on the 2-3. We just cool it, check the air gap, and reset the 2 step switch and it works like a charm.

This is on a Pro Mod car, roots setup. Clutch is a Triple-Crower 10" and Friction Unlimited disks.

15. Lycan Racing

Lycan Racing New Member

Bronze Floaters

Does anyone know what material the bronze floaters are made from? I keep seeing the word "bonded" when refering to bronze floaters. Are they not machined from some billet material such as Ampco Alloy Bronze?

16. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

No, they are not machined from a special alloy. Its made similar to a clutch disc. It has a steel core that is copper plated and then bonded/sintered to a material in the same family as cerametallic buttons on street clutches. The difference in the sintering.. normally that material is bonded with just heat when making buttons, but when you apply multiple tons of pressure while heating, it does some neat stuff.

P.S. Jason, thanks! I knew you guys ran them tight, but DAMN. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  17. Leon Phelps

Leon Phelps New Member

No that comment is misleading Bonifante told me they are sintered and the sintering bonds everything together same as a disc. It's a blend of powders and a steel center.
    I was also told the chunking has nothing to do with heat sink from a crank or anywhere else but it comes from a bad bond in the mix particle to particle or particle to the steel plate period! I went and got the 10cent tour of thier factory it is something to see they have meatalergy lab, multiple dynos, unit and disc, cnc machines eveywhere, and alot of other very impressive stuff if you can go see and if you have any questions and want to know for sure call there and try to talk to them they will give you the straight story. I never have a problem they always answer thier phone