Clutch Wander

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TOL, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Here is something I was thinking about. With these blown engines under full power they twist the crank at some great amount. I have heard that it is 8-10* but no evidence to exactly how much. Then when you cross the finishline and push the clutch in that crank suddenly un-twists real fast. I bet that crank is just flopping around for a moment in time and since the flywheel and clutch is acting like a gyroscope in one plane and the crank is trying to flop around it is all felt in the rear main bearing. Maybe by forcing more oil into the rear main you can protect the bearing but I bet it doesn't stop it. Those pads between the flywheel and rear motor plate will help also.

2. Bob69

Bob69 Member

Im probably going to get cursed for this, but some of the pro guys are not telling you everything.(what the heck)

To reduce the wooble and flex there is a simple no cost fix, (anyone interested?).
    The floaters do go out of balance because of the clearance with the stands, so the pair of floaters end up getting centrifugally spin out and usally to one side creating a imbalance.

So pair up a pair of floaters, clamp them together with them lined up as if they were set up in the stands (without the disks), and drill a hole on the trailing edge (.250 or slightly bigger if there is enough metal on one of the stands semi circles protrusions).
    This creates a imbalance in each floater.
    Then when you assemble the clutch make sure you fit the floaters on opposite stands to create a cancelling effect of the imbalance.
    I may have rushed this responce and not explained very well, but willing to answer any questions.
    Fixed our problem and many pro Alcohol teams.

3. EXPLOSIVE

EXPLOSIVE New Member

clutch wobble

i run a top fuel sand dragster and i run a 4 disc clutch on a late model fuel motor with a whipple on 85%. I made some burellium Copper pucks that i put on the back of the flywheel they had a .025 gap between the motorplate and we have made a few runs with the pucks and i cand see a difference on the rear main the rear main is dooing ok considering a normal run on sand is like smoking the tires for 300 ft but the motor is loaded. and with a fuel clutch you never push the clutch in right as you get to the stripe or you will break the lockup fingers off. thinking about the alcohol cars out there every one that has posted on this thred regarding clutch wobble runs a BAE or 426 Hemi based motor. i have also ran a fontana on the sand and the rear main bering is twice as wide as the rear main on a BAE or TFX. i never once had a problem with clutch wobble when we had a fontana in the top alcohol sand dragster and we were running it just as hard as you guys hope this helps