Clutch help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by OUTLAW, Oct 17, 2006.

1. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

Alright guys, I've found help here for all of my engine questions so lets see who can give me some clutch help!

I finally ran my car for the first time this weekend. Outlaw Pro Mod, 518 KB/BAE hemi 14-71 Littlefield Hi Helix retro. 4.30 gear, 1.80 low (B&J) 34.5 tires and a ram 10" 3 disc with black springs.

First pass, 2 turns of base 30 grams of counter, at .500 in to the run I was already at 7900 rpm eng and 1400 ds.

I added more clutch and got up to 3 turns of base and the driveshaft speed only got to 1700 rpm @ .500 (also tried a shorter 4 link setup)
    My question is what numbers should I be looking at for DS speed early in the run? The best 60' was a 1.07 and I'm thinking I may have too much bite in the car and not enough low end wheel speed.
    No 2 step on the car just swapping feet @ 5500

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

At .5 seconds into the run the DS should be up around 2400-2600 rpm.

I question the 1.80 1st gear with a 4.30 rear. it would seem like you need to be around 1.98 to 2.10. More around the 2.10

What is happening to the engine rpm at launch. Is it going up or dropping down in rpm first. What is happening to your driveshaft RPm on launch. Is it a steady climb or does it dip first?

3. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

the driveshaft has a little "fish hook" when the clutch is released and then climbs pretty steady. With only 2 1/2 turns of base the engine accelerated right through the clutch until I lifted.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is that a RAM 6 finger of 9 finger clutch

5. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

6 finger, 6 stand

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I am not sure of the settings for the 6 stand. i know on our 9 stand we use right up at 4 turns on base and around 80-85 grams total on all the none fingers. With the "fish hook on the driveshaft rpm indiactes that you do not have enough turns on base and I would also say not enough weight on the fingers. this clutch is very different from a Crower. The other problem is that you are going to have to really work the clutch with a lot of base to get past that 1.80 1st gear.

If you call Mike Norcia at RAM at 803 788-6034 and give him all the data on the clutch he will give you a real good start off point with the clutch that will be real close.

7. BIG POWER

BIG POWER New Member

A 4.56 rear gear would help alot. With a 4.30 gear I would try a 2.18 low to help you get some wheel speed. I run a 1.98 low first with a 4.56 rear gear
    and I have found it the most forgiving.

8. ITS IN MY BLOOD

HELP.......

[​IMG]

9. OKC-Oilie

OKC-Oilie Funny Car

OUCH! What happened? Looks like a major clutch failure:eek: Time for the "liquid wrench"

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Is it the phot or does the clutch disk look like it is in backwards. Maybe it is just the type of disk being used. What do you guys think?

11. ITS IN MY BLOOD

id say the disc was on back a$% wards, do think the center of
    the disc was bottoming out on the flywheel bolts,
    and isnt the floater on backwards too, looking from the back of mtr
    mtr would turn counter clockwise cutters or going with the rotation
    of motor as opposed to pointing away from mtr direction.

12. Eric David Bru

I am pretty sure that photo is the clutch out of a fuel altered from a race in Tulsa early 2006.

13. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

disk

The clutch disk is in right hub side to the hat.

14. 182 TAD

182 TAD New Member

Maybe the disc is backward , depends on the type but for sure the floater is backward ( no doubt) and it does not matter what type it is !!!!!!

Serge TAD-15

15. PM 3570

PM 3570 New Member

TAD 182 ; wich way turns your engine then ? :confused:

You started right; motor looking from the back goes counter clockwise.

so the stands wil push against the floater lips. ;)

It look to me that there was a BIG clutch lockup follow by a trans or rear gear failure ? just guessing on this one. :rolleyes:

16. tjb

tjb New Member

I believe the the stand/stud missing tore out of the hat and wadded up between the can and the rest of the clutch laying it over. It is kinda of hard to tell since there wasn't a piece left bigger than 2'. Tad 182, I dont think I want to ride it with the floaters in your way.
    Peace

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

According to what Nick Bonifante Sr has told me the floater is installed correctly as far as the single style tabs being on the left side of the top stand when looking forward behind the clutch. That is the way I always do it. As far as the cutting or dust removing grooves they can be either way. One way puts the dust in the center of the clutch and the other way slings the dust to the outside of the clutch.