clevite bearings needed and NGK plugs

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by H BROWN, Feb 25, 2008.

1. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

Any one know where I can get clevite hemi main bearings and rod bearings 10 over. I was told they were not available in the main bearings by several people, but one phone call to clevite\mahl and they have CB1512 V rod bearings in std and 10 all in stock. The mains are available in MS 1795V IN STD and 10 over. The 20 over are in stock but in the Ms and are being discontinued. The problem is they will not sell to me, say to order through car quest which are $191.00 for mains only which is un heard of.:eek: any suggestions? I have called all the name brand parts stores and tryed RWR motorsports and wizards with no luck. Wizards has a federal mogal brand but I have never used. thanks for any and all help Howard.
    PS what about using the NGK 6061-9 instead of a 6061-10 in a blown hemi. The 9s are $3.00 cheaper per plug:D.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

3. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

PS what about using the NGK 6061-9 instead of a 6061-10 in a blown hemi. The 9s are $3.00 cheaper per plug:D.[/QUOTE]

I've found the 9's are too hot for me to read, but I'm just a puller....

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's confusing because the heat range of a plug is the ability to disapate heat from the porcelein to the metal jacket of the plug only. Since you never read porcelein for a fuel ring on an alcohol motor like you do in a gasoline motor it shouldn't make any difference to tuning. The only danger of running a too hot of a heat range in an alcohol motor is that you could possible ignite the fuel mixture early if the porcelein was to get too hot because you ran the motor too lean. In the days before the 6061 became real popular the NGK B9ES was used by most blower cars without problems. In my opinion I don't think using a 6061-9 will make any difference to the running of the motor or cause detonation.

5. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

plugs

yeah i'm using the B9ES's with good results.why are the 6061's popular now?availability or a performance gain?should i have removed the gasket rings from my plugs before install as i recently heard.i ran 6 passes with them still on and it all seemed ok...526 kb hemi...thanks......

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

vwsamba, why did you remove the gasket ring from your plugs?

7. vetteafc

vetteafc New Member

Plugs

How about the R5671a-10? They are supposed to be the same thing as the 6061-10 except for the 5/8 hex. They are about three bucks cheaper.

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's what I use. The only drawback is the ground strap is a little longer than the 6061. It just depends how much you are pushing the car or how good is your tuneup.

One useful purpose of a slightly longer ground strap is if there is a problem in the tuneup then you will tip the ground starp and get a warning. If the problem is big enough to nip the strap on a 6061 then you already have damage.

9. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

When the porcelain is hotter also is the steel shell around it and therefore it colors more, but once it colors 360° around it thens begins to travel down into the threads.
    Would you agree? or?
    So if your coloring threads on a 9 wouldn't switching to 10's simply put the coloring back into the top of the plug vs the threads???:eek:

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No, the outer metal jacket of the plug immediately transfers the heat to the head and that relationship doesn't change with the heat range of the plug. The mass of the head pretty well keeps the metal of the plug the same. The heat range only changes the temperature of the porcelein around the center electrode and the temperature of the center electrode.

11. gregl

gregl Member

I have a dart big m with brodix solid heads and a 1471hh.I am running the r5671a-9 ngk plug.I have good luck is this the correct plug for my application?

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If you are having good luck and running great and have a tuneup then my recommendations is not to change anything.

13. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

It sure seems to me that the 9's burn the color off of the shell before the 10's do, and I have seen it in some other motors besides mine.. the coloring of the shell is what I've been reading. Doesn't the 10 have more steel mass around poecelein? it looks like the poecelein is shorter in the 10. Maybe there's something else here I don't understand. I'll keep rereading!!

14. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Yep, Lucky, the porcelains are different thats what makes the different heat ranges.
    I've never had a reason to mess with heat ranges until after this last season, but I thought changing heat ranges would change the reading on the plug.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Changing the heat range will change the reading of a fuel ring on the porcelein of a plug IF you use a fuel that leaves a deposit when it burns. Pure alcohol does not leave a deposit when it burns. Check the difference of the tops of pistons in an alcohol motor and a gasoline motor. Stop and think for a moment that the point of attachment of the porcelein to the metal jacket of the plug can change the temperature of the metal jacket when the metal jacket is screwed so tightly into the mass of the head that the heat conductivity of the head and the metal jacket of the plug become one.

16. mr.bigwrench

mr.bigwrench New Member

6061 versus r-5671-a

the colder the plug the shorter the porcelein surounding the center electrode allowing the heat to disipate from the tip of the center electrode to the outer body. My understanding is that the 6061 was made with the larger 13/16" outer body so as to allow the heat to transfer at a great enough rate to make the -10 over the -9 a rellevent change. Also the ground electrode is only equal to approximately a -8 before it lights from slow disipation of heat as well. They made the ground electrode shorter and wider on the 6061 plug to increase the disipation rate also. But I have not used either for a while and understand they went back to the narrower groundstrap. As for if the -9 is a safe alternative or not, I believe there are to many factors for someone on this tech forum to be able to safely comment on weather or not you will get away with them or not. In my opinion, use caution and at your own risk!

Mr.bigwrench

17. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The 6061 plug only takes a 13/16 socket as does the B9ES, the R5671 uses a 5/8 socket but we are only talking sparkplug sockets here. The threaded section of the plug that mates with the head is still the same size so the heat transfer is the same.