chevy head selection

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by quickie70, Jan 21, 2008.

1. fasttimesracing

i havent ever seen any dyno sheets on it myself. i have always heard it made a difference. but if venny said it didnt i would have to beleave him. he has built some bad engines in his life.

2. BLOWN INCOME

Thunder Racing Products Sells New Alum.chev Bolt Pattern Heads,no Special Intake Or Headers , Solid ,flow Over 425 Cfm . Complete Or Bare ,very Reasonable...call Them At 330 792-2451(ohio)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  3. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Well, I guess that you've disproved the smaller Bug/Bird length (12.25") on a smaller blower opening (9.5-10.5").

But, a Buzzard has a 15" opening. Another 2-3/4" of shelf space is a significant amount.

Maybe I should call SSI and ask them directly if they've found anything relating to this when toying on their blower dyno. Certainly no point in going to the time/expense to make the 'sizing' plate if it's going to do absolutely no good.

Maybe the Enderle B&U and other carbon injectors are more for the 300 MPH crowd than us slow guys?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I talked with Rich at SSI on friday and anytime I talk to them I ask about their recommendations on hats. Of course they like Veney's stuff and I do too but other than that little comment they don't have much to say about it. Remember they use their dyno to compare changes in their blowers, not to tests hats. They use a "dyno hat". I wouldn't do it that way but until I have a blower dyno who am I to say.
    Now Veney uses SSI's dyno to not only to make his blowers better but also to enhance his hats. He showed us some of his very first alum hats back in 2002 and they did not have dividers in them. Now they do and have for a few years. He told me the increase, by adding the divider,, if memorys right 1/2-1 psi???
    He'll tell you also, by going from a Bird to his, when on a 14, expect 4 lbs more. He says the 2 guys that didn't beleive him were changing pistons after the first incomplete run.
    I think the big gain is the angle of the incoming air and also the fact that its approaching the blower in a straight shot. Imagine the Bird butterflies are removed, now stick your arms thru the now open holes. Put your right arm thru the right hole and your left arm through the left hole. Then bend your wrists to get down into the blower and do this without colliding your arms/hands. Are you a pretzel yet? It seems that the air is so confused/turbulent/sharp bends.
    4 yrs ago when messing with this opening change, I was working with Littlefield. After the dyno stuff they said "hmmm, must be because your not going 250mph", I don't agree, I think I did it wrong.
    Hindsight I think I was working on the wrong side of the "radius". Think of the hat as an intake port in your head. Short side radius is the big topic. But what I did in the hat was work on the other side. So what I tried next was I built an adaptor plate and slide the Bird forward until the back of the blower opening and the hat opening matched each other. I have no good data to prove or disprove anything here, but for very little money you could try this approach.
    Here's a question, has anyone compared leaving the "ice tray" in the Enderle hat or removing it?
    TOOO long of post, sorry.

5. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Not too long of a post at all. Good information.

6. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

Curt, I would like to see you get you arms through the ice tray !!!
    Moving the hat forward is easy to do with just a 1/2" alum plate, I also add an angle piece in the back of the hat,,,I never could keep the divider from breaking loose from the hat or the adaptor plate.

7. poolman

poolman Member

have you seen the max spacer that rbs sells, its a nice piece. It moves the injector 4" up and 4" forward.

8. BLOWN INCOME

sorry i put the wrong phone # for the thunder racing products new B.B.chev heads...330 792-2451...give him a call...

9. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Hi Marty, you got it close, this is Craig not Curt. We haven't run ice trays for 15 years, but I was curious if anyone had comparison data on using them vs not.
    Did you seen a gain when you added the divider? my fear is having it break out and trying to go thru the blower

I haven't seen the Max up close and then only pictures. Does anyone have pics and or more info on them.

10. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

I thought you were in iowa and your dad in sd...oh well.. I really don't know if the divider helped but with it trying to break out of there I figured there was some air bounceing around and not going right down the sides of the case..

11. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I can drive 3 miles and be in either Minnesota or South Dakota, but I live in Iowa.
    My cell phone is a SD area code.

Hows the saying go, "You can take the boy out of South Dakota, but you can't take the South Dakota out of the boy."

I would prefer the tractor be associated with South Dakota.

How thick was your divider?