Chassis

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Medicone, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Rusty Kramer

Rusty Kramer New Member

www.Brownells.com

Search for oxphoblue. (this is a cold do it yourself gun blue). Use the cream formula for rubbing the chassis. liquid for dipping small parts. scuffs off with scotchbrite for repairs. Just oil it with what ever works best for you.

2. clint thompson

he oughta know, his name is rusty!!!!! jk, lmao:D

3. F/C Girl

F/C Girl New Member

that's funny Clint :D :D

I thought I would add my two cents in if anyone is interested.

We buy a kit from MSC (performance catalog) that has a Black Protective Finish for Ferrous Metals called "Tool Black" that also includes a spray called "Penatrate" (much like WD-40).

We scotch brite the chassis down to bare metal, apply sparingly the tool black, then spray the aerosol onto a rag and wipe it down. For maintenence in between races, since I put so many kids in the drivers seat, we use WD 40 regularly to keep the rust to a minimum between races and humid days.

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

5. nitro4100

nitro4100 New Member

Pledge

I was working on a funny car in Norwalk I was walking threw the pits and seen a guy on Brandon Bernsteins crew spraying Pledge furniture polish on the Chassis never seen anyone use it before but they must know something
    sure smelled good. On most of the cars I have worked on they used WD-40. Anyone ever seen anyone elese use Pledge?

6. Tim Stevens

I have had better luck with Marvel Mystery Oil than WD40?

7. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

Chassis Paint

We painted the Nitro Madness AA/FA chassis with a single stage brownish - silver paint that was real close to the color of chromoly tubing. I've added a few tabs and brackets over the season, and you really have to look close to notice the welds...best of everything for us....does not rust...cleans up easy with wax & grease remover...and you can weld on a tab or do repairs....just my thoughts, but I would recommend if you want to paint your chassis, get a paint color that matches the bare tubes...

8. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Wonder what Ken Perry uses? Their car is spotless. Even the bellhousing. Looks lke they buffed the entire chassis.

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

When we built our last chassis we scotchbrited all the tubing in the Lathe. i use Mothers alum polish on it and in works great because it has carnuba in it. bead's the sweat.
    Mark

10. pmbuick

pmbuick Member

I just had this conversation the other day with a noted Harley rider who just had a new frame made. The chassis builder recommended a mixture of olive oil and wd40, he says no rust all season just touch it up now and then with the mixture. And I must say it looks like new.

Peter Maple

Terenzio Racing

11. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I've had good luck with Remoil,-made by Remington fire arms to spray on your guns to protect them from rust.
    I think the Pledge deal sounds good too, probubly cheaper.

12. weld_everything

Funny that someone brought up Perry's car

Ken once told me how many hours he had in polishing by hand and machine his first chassis, it was unbelievable. I think that once he realized how much work went on with these cars that he didn't see the value of doing it with his next car(s). He must spend his time grinding clutch parts like the rest of us now;)