Causes Of/How To Prevent Crank Hub Microwelding?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BEDNAR1320, Jan 26, 2019.

1. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

2. TOL

TOL Active Member

With the splined stuff, are people still using anti-seize, and if so any particular recommendations as to type?

3. Neil Morley

Neil Morley Member

I had the same problem right after I installed an outboard crank support and it’s the only thing I changed and I’ve always run an ATI hub and balancer for a blower pulley and I installed it with antiseize and thought it was strange that I never had a problem without the crank support ???

4. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

Titanium hub-kind of expensive but no galling

5. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

They still will transfer metal if not tight enough- had no luck with them move around too much

6. shawn

shawn New Member

Maybe it's just me, and I could be wrong, but doesn't putting something on the end of the crank that makes it easier for it to move seem like the wrong thing to do? Follow me and see if my logic holds up. If the hub is galling while being pressed on I could see an antisieze lube working to fix it. I don't think that is the issue. If the hub is really going on with an interference fit, that lube is only going into the crevices of the hone marks. The hub is sitting on the high spots still. When the harmonics and torsional forces hit, that lube rises up and allows the hub to move even more. That minimal amount creates more of a problem than it fixes. In saying this, I used antisieze for years because "everyone does". Until I had a problem and looked at what may be contributing. No more antisieze on the hubs for me. I also agree with having the correct interference and plenty of torque to hold it in place.
    shawn

7. sammy christian

I concur.
    Same as why you don't use anti-seize on a pressed bearing, but Loctite is.

shawn likes this.
  8. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Update, after running the 2019 season, I am taking the engine apart to freshen, pulled the crank hub off, no micro welding at all. Still running the crank support same as last year. The only difference is more press fit and a grade 9 crank bolt torqued to 300#. And when Shaftech repaired the snout last year, I had them finish it .001 larger that it was from Bryant...……...

shawn and Will Hanna like this.
  9. Kramer Metal Fab Inc.

Bednar, what is your interference fit on the crank and hub now that it has worked?

10. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

call bob auto and get a crank bolt or use a cat 10 we put ours at 450ft#

11. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

.0015 It's pretty tight....