Calling all Blown Alcohol Dragsters- Will you run a C blower if allowed in 07?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Izzy

Izzy New Member

Hey if Bob's getting one, I'll take two!

2. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I think we are gonna get more blower :D

3. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Will your not Kiddin about the Alky Dragboats! Since IHBA allowed them in '01-'02? They went from the low 50's to mid 30's in one year! Granted that's with a 557 CI at 125% but they only turn about 9,200 over there!

4. dmwells

dmwells New Member

Ok here goes I have been talking to some of the NHRA powers to be for quite a while without most of you knowing it. The NHRA does not want this class to speed up, they have made it pretty clear over & over, we have asked for several years now for the c-case blower or gizmo and the answer has always
    been the same no. They NHRA wants the class to not speed up. The best thing the blown cars can do is call your div. directors and complain as they most of them are saying they aren't hearing any or minimal complaints from the blown cars. I can and do understand both sides. My suggestion was and
    still is the best answer is to seperate the two cars, as apples and oranges do not match. But NHRA has never liked the idea nor have I ever been able to get a large group of racers to agree either. So if you can't separate the two
    you should all work together and find a solution, & it probably means find a percentage that works for both sides. There has only been about 6 blown cars that have ever run in the 20's and to my knowledge the quickest was a 5.26 by Duane S my 5.27 was second. There has been more 20's run by the A-fuel cars this year than have ever been run in total by a blown car. More power to the O-Bannons but I doubt if even they can run them at will.

Thanks For listening

Dave Wells
    Plain Vanilla Racing

5. Bob Perkins

Bob Perkins New Member

respect

hey dave we miss ya out here ,but
    i respect your position on this
    we have never run near the
    top like you so a low budget
    guy like me dosent get as frusterated
    i suppose.take care and tell the wife
    hello.BOB:)

6. LaDon

LaDon New Member

Dave is right on this issue and I really hope that the nhra does get this right. It is a shame to see his car sitting and I can understand why it is. I just hope that they get something done and he can get that car back out blasting down the quarter again.

7. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I agree with Dave, if you go with the C blower and it gives the advantage to the blower guys,then the a-fuel guys will have to adjust, or blowers will have to adjust overdrive,so on and so on. It could go on for another year or more. Why not just keep creeping up on the percentage of nitro. I'd bet you could have parity in a couple months, adjusting at these races coming up at lower altitudes.I think the NHRA believes that the class is to close to the ET's of Top Fuel anyway,and pushing the engines harder sure don't help reliability and chances of oil downs. I say just slow the a-fuel guys down,Its just a tenth and a half and I think everyone would be Happy!

Dale H.

8. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Dave you make a good point, but what can Complaining to a Div. Director do? Doesn't the lower car counts tell NHRA something? I still Maintain NHRA could care less if Blown cars quit racing otherwise we would have already seen another % adjustment by now.

9. dmwells

dmwells New Member

back to Darrens question the lower car counts should tell them something I agree but that isn't how it works if they don't hear any complaints they assume everything is ok. Talking on here is good but NHRA will only listen to direct suggestions. I've been around quite a while so trust me a little, you need to group up so your voices can be heard,the blown guys and the A-fuel guys need to be talking and come to some agreement and present it to NHRA.
    We've done this before and tried to get the c-case blower in and NHRA would not allow it apoximatley 3 years ago. The other part of the story is, as most of you now NHRA keeps trying to slow down or at least hinder any more increases in top fuel and funny car mainly for saftey reasons. So the basic reasons apply here also, plus we can't or be allowed to out run our big brothers.

Dave

10. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Dave,

If the rules were to change and parity was gained in the class, would we see you back out at the track or are there other reasons why we arent seeing you these days?

11. dmwells

dmwells New Member

Frankie

There are several reasons why I'm not out there, but at this time I'm willing to help in any way I can .

Thanks Dave

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  12. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

Amen Mr.wells

DAVE YA HIT THAT ONE RIGHT ON , ALSO THINK there should be some appointed people , to represent the racer to lobby with nhra , on this subject , & you i beleive would give both sides a fair shake , from a racers standpoint also great job on waynes car , thats is pretty neat watching that converter car , leaving the line that hard & so smooth , sure would like to see more of those cars out there ,

13. Gil Anderson

Gil Anderson New Member

What happened with TARA? Wouldn't this be something that would have been worked on collectively within the group?

14. dmwells

dmwells New Member

I'm not sure what happened to the TARA group but I would be willing to be part of the solution, if that is what everyone would like, but I can't do it all by myself. So lets hear some comments, & lets have some more volunteers.

Thanks Dave

15. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

I will help in any way I can. This class means alot to me, and it needs upkeep just like anything else. Let me know if there's some roll I can play.

TARA dissolved because the biggest problem facing the alky classes this decade is the lack of parity in the TA/D class. Trying to get both sides of the dragster combo to agree on suggestions to NHRA was impossible. I worked with Shelly, Dwayne, and Tate on several issues, but the parity issue was the one that kept TARA from being a unified entity. Without unity, there was little strength.
    What was good was that we had a group that would meet with Graham Light, Len Imbrogno, and one or two others from NHRA 2 to 3 times a year. We listened to their concerns, and then they would listen to ours. Not saying it did a ton of good, but at least we knew what they were thinking, and visa-versa. We need that group to represent the alky classes. We may not agree all the time on the correct solution, but if the racers bow out and let NHRA make these decisions without our input, I fear we're doomed.

As I stated earlier, I will help how needed.

Marty

16. Artie Allen

Artie Allen New Member

Dave and Marty I'll help in any way we can down in D-2.

Thank you, Artie

17. dmwells

dmwells New Member

well thats a good start Ted Lake from Randy Meyers team said he would also help. How about a few more A-Fuel Guys or Gals
    Dave

18. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

solution

Mr. Wells, I'm not a racer and not qualified to be on any committees, but let me throw one thought out.

You indicated a few posts back that NHRA will not give the blown cars more blower because "they don't want to speed up the class".

Actually, even if they give the alcohol cars more blower, they aren't speeding up the class.

If the alky guys start running 5.22 or in the teens then yes, it would be sped up.
    However, letting the alcohol guys catch up to where the afuelers are doesn't seem to me to be speeding up anything, it's leveling the playing field.

I don't think having a dozen cars running 5.18 is what NHRA wants, but giving the blown guys more blower isn't going to do that. If we can get to an event that in good air there are a dozen cars between 5.25-5.30, and a relatively equal # of them are blown, then the class would not be sped up (maybe average field et, but not the quickest cars).

Just a different way to look at it.

Wolfgang

19. dmwells

dmwells New Member

wolfgang:
    In the true sence of what I said your correct, but the overall fact is NHRA pretty much has the blown cars where they want them, so that is why they still want to go after the A-Fuel cars and slow them down.As has been said quite a few times all the potential of the A-Fuel combination has not been discovered or released so that is the one they are going to try and control.
    Another point is the saftey factor on some of the divisional tracks is still a major facter even as fast as they are going today.
    thanks for your ccomment though
    Dave

20. flash

flash top alcohol

C blower boost

didn't will hana say a couple months ago it was not fair to compare a C blower with todays D blowers of today as the new D blowers of today have better rotors,with closer tolerences,coatings,extra bolts-which means the difference in boost between these two blowers is much closer today than it was in the past,meaning just that upgrade might not make up as much et as everybody thinks it will!! just asking a question?