Burst Panel Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blwnaway, Apr 20, 2009.

1. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

Yep!

As subtle as Goodwin at a buffet!

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I never pass on a good buffet. Burst panels would make a great butter tray.

3. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

I agree a pop off is about 35 years old. If you have ever "popped" one for what ever reason, any or all of the above it is hard to believe they can wrap themselves around the hold down ring like it was done with a body hammer. Why did funny cars start running dual blow tubes .... cause one couldn't handle it. Windshields, aluminum firewalls, ruined bodies and paint are heartbreaking and expensive.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. rattler

rattler AA/Fuel Altered

I think I can answer this question best. I am responsible for the burst panel rule. In 1987 at Englishtown ,in a AA/FC I had an explosion in the manifold ( 16 bolt Cragar with pop off blocked off ) it blew the floor of the manifold into the valley of the motor ,the blower was still making boost as it was winding down, the burn down tubes could not relieve that much volumn of air and so it blew a hole in the right valve cover which dumped oil and fuel onto the header which set the car on fire, burned the right rear tire off and put me into the left guard rail from the right lane. totaled the car, ruined my firesuit and helmet, I didn't get hurt. The crash can be seen in Dean Papadeas' " Nitetime fuel and fire, Yellow Mercury Capri. There is a reason for every rule that NHRA puts in the book. We have seen people hurt and lose lives in this sport, including spectators and that is why all the safety " gimicks ".
    Don't even question why, Ask Darrell Gwen, John Medelin, John Force, Don Garlits, Gas Ronda, Mike Dunn, Jim Dunn,Dale Creasey, Rick Hough and the list goes on and on and on! If you are strapped in the seat or an innocent spectator,buy the best safety equiptment money can buy. This is my 48th season of racing because I brought the best and never questioned the safety rules.
    Ricky Ruiz
    " Nevada Rattler " AA/ Fuel Altered

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

Thank you Ricky for sharing the history of this safety feature. Many racers have paid the price for what we take for granted today.
    Dale

6. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

Burst panels

And remember Robert Has Panels,, nice ones,, yes this is also another shameless plug for Robert :D

7. TOL

TOL Active Member

I was thinking about burst panels awhile back (have a dual on the PSI and a single on the manifold in our case) and had a couple of weird ideas. Maybe they're not so weird though?........

If a burst panel was to rupture, then obviously the race is over at that point and a variety of things could follow, from minor to major, depending upon the class & fuel.

If a thin film conductor could be overlaid atop the burst panel, which would break electrically when the burst panel physically "ruptures", or if a roller tipped limit switch was against the burst panel surface, then a rupture could serve as a good signal in order to trigger certain actions to assist the driver?

Kill the mag(s)? Kill the fuel? Fire restraint belt pre-tensioners for the driver? Turn on driver oxygen? The list could go on & on depending upon fuel & class.

Weird idea or not?......

8. crashly

crashly Member

yeep already a system out , and fuel guys are using it...
    will try find the link

9. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Anyone know where I can buy 10 Panels under $121.00? :D

10. thjts

thjts New Member

Yes, but I forget his name :D

11. blown375

blown375 New Member

I think they should be manditory on nitrous cars as well !
    I have seen more nitrous backfires blow manifolds apart than blower cars!

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

They are mandatory on nitrous cars. We had two on ours. One regular burst panel and one spring loaded panel. We still blew the top off the manifold but no shrapnel. The other thing nitrous cars do is use aluminum or plastic bolts to hold the top of the manifold on just like the blower studs we use.