Burnout Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bob Kraemer, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

What is the proper way to do burnouts?
    Most do a rolling a burnout or bring the car to a stop after the water box then start there burnout.
    Which way is better?
    Which way is eaiser on the clutch?
    Just curious as to everyones opion on this.

Thanks and Take Care
    Bob

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

We just roll through the water and whack the throttle, do a short burnout, backup, and wait for the John Forcce wannabees to get back. :D :D

3. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Bob,

I thought you would have had 50 replies or opinions by now. Since you don't I will give you my 2-cents.

I roll thru the water, and about another 10 feet or so, then hit it while still rolling. I feel this allows me to place the car in the lane where I want to be. A few years ago I tried stopping after the water box, then hitting it. This seemed to upset the chassis, and made the car move around during the burnout.

Our car is a Lencodrive car, no clutch involved. So I don't have any info on that part of your question.

Most of our events are Nostalgia or booked in shows. So we do real long burnouts. Not only is it fun, but it is part of the deal. I always make sure to discuss with whoever we are racing, so they know we do a long burnout. Then they can adjust their start-up accordingly.

Rapid

4. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

I'm the one standing behind Rapid trying to see through the smoke to guide the car back - seems like forever waiting to see the car as the smoke clears. He usually stops the burnout at about the 1/8 mile mark...

5. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Maybe I'm a little weird but in my openion there is only one reason to do a long burnout and that is to put on a show. If you think about it all it does is possibly overrev the engine, burn more fuel and heat up the clutch and tires. There are other ways to build some heat in the engine if that is what you want. I have seen great runs from cars that didn't even spin the tires and barley got the water off them. If a cool track is better what is the purpose of heating up the tires. Of course when I was driving I loved the burnouts. Now we pull into the water and stop. We do fairly short burnouts but I think this method gets the tires up quickly and lets the clutch hook up quickly as well.

6. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

OK Nitrohawk - you are probably right. I got way off the original subject and should let the drivers respond with the technicle stuff. I'm a car owner and Rapid is the driver - we do put on a show. As Rapid stated, we do match races and booked events. The fans wanna' see huge burnouts, flames, smell, etc. wherever we go. Now I'll turn it over to the forum again...

7. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Hey Madness, Nothing wrong with putting on a show. Its just that some of us don't get paid for the show. I like those long JF burnouts and the fans do to!

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

I noticed that nobody mentioned what gear they start spinning the tires in and also do you shift the trans while spinning the tires ?. The instructions that lenco gave me say to start in 2nd and shift into 3rd while spinning the tires which is what my partner does (lencodrive).

9. was R4K

was R4K Member

WE USE A LENCO- START IN 3RD GEAR(sorry caps! doh!) never exceed 6000 rpm and keep it short-
    Bernie Fedderly recommended that track temp above 85 degrees not to burn out in the groove you wish to run in. Don't run in extra or hot rubber unless track is cold. Nitrohawk has the right idea- save those valve springs and clutch heat to a minimum. our typical routine from fire up to stage light on is always between 90 to 95 seconds, keeping in mind thatwe run at cooler atmospheric temps than our southern state racers. hope this helps-

10. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

I always do the burnout in 3rd gear. I start the car towards the water at an idle, and hit the air-shift buttons kicking it into 3rd as the car is slowly rolling forward.

This keeps the rpms down, and makes a real controllable {is that a word??} burnout.

We plan our engine temps around what we are doing. If it is a booked in deal, I go up there with the engine a little cool, and let it come to temp as I come back from the burnout.

When we are running in competition, we do a more normal burnout, so as to not interrupt the program, or hold the other guy up.

Rapid

11. Big Russ

Big Russ Member

One thing I think is REALLY important with the burnout is to get through the water before you whack that throttle. If you dont - The water gets thrown up under the guards and will be dripping down on the tyres when you are on the startline.

Try using a steady walking pace through the water, click 3rd gear and squeeze it on out - Dont stop till you've got a real big smile.

Cheers

Big Russ