Burn Out Question??

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Aug 16, 2006.

1. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

Your crewguy should always leave himself an out, when choosing where the car is going to do the burnout. You never know sometimes when the pair in front of you might pull the rubber of the track or you might pull it off on your own burnout.

When I'm watching some of the runs in front of us, I look to see if the track is pulling the cars to the left or right. Sometimes you can compensate for that when you line the car up for the run.

I've seen some teams make some really poor decisions by putting a car in the burnout tracks, "because that's where the burnout was done." I nine times out of ten don't back our car up into it's burnout tracks. I usually got the car where the cars in front of me have left the starting line.

Go to your local store(preferably Dollar Tree) and buy some chalk. It works great on marking the track for backing up purposes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Dennis Taylor and I did a match race in Palmdale back in the early 1990's. The track wasn't well prepared and we had trouble getting out of low gear in our TA/FC's . Because Bernie Longjohn was paying us I used the "gotta put on a good show" mentality on our second run when it was obvious we were not going to be able to get down the track. So, DT and I talked and decided to do long smokey burnouts side by side.

Dennis and I paced ourselves after our cars were started so we would start our burnouts together. At about 150 feet out while doing the burnout I see out of the corner of my eye Dennis drop back because he got off the throttle. I thought we were supposed to do a long burnout so I stayed on the throttle quite a ways past 1/2 track. I got on the brakes hard and came to a stop just past the finish line. I backed up pretty fast and looked over into the first section of grandstands and noticed we were getting a standing ovation. And, like I predicted, there wasn't enough track to hold our cars on the run so we ended up coasting on through.

When Bernie came to my pit area later that night to pay me I apologized for not being able to make a full blast. He told me all anyone in the stands will remember was the win light coming on in my lane because I passed the finish line doing a burnout.

I remember thinking how little effort it took to do that long of a burnout, and how I promised myself to put a set of rods and valve springs in the engine before I ever raced again. That was one of the highlights of my driving days, besides making a blast in my TA/FC in the rain at Fuji International Raceway in Japan. That was nuts.

When I see Jay Payne blow past everyone doing his burnout, I think just like he says, "I do it 'cause it's fun!"

Near Mount Fuji, Japan, 1993:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  3. eli

eli Banned

Oh my God Bruce thats such a 70`s answer, but no. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  4. eli

eli Banned

When I see Jay Payne blow past everyone doing his burnout, I think just like he says, "I do it 'cause it's fun!"
    QUOTE]

Now theres a good way for NHRA to slow every one down, and everyone will have fun, no more slider clutch`s only lock up clutches` like in the early 60`s smoke them to the finnesh line. :eek:

5. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

sorry, i guess i have been watching too much sopranos.:rolleyes:

6. funnycarguy 230

I Think This Is Cool Just Reading Peoples Ideas About This, And The Stories That Are On This Site It Just Really Cool!!!!!!!!

7. eli

eli Banned

Hey Bruce, Ya know how all the dunken donuts are owned by the indians and the gas stations are being taken over by the arabs, well the italians own most all the garbage co. so we don`t need no stinken shovels!!! any way the answer is CHAVELL is italian dialect for BLEACH.. :D :D :D

8. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

tshirts

hey,randy i have one of your tshirts from that ranch olds,but its pretty trashed now,do you have anymore?i consider that car one of the top 10 best looking fc of all time!

9. eli

eli Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bruce mullins
    italians with chavells only means your digging a hole to bury someone! right?
    Or their Mixing concrete to throw in the hole ;)[/QUOTE]

I couldn`t resist,

The Three Little Pigs - Italian Style

Once upon a time there were three little pigs. The straw pig, the stick pig and the brick pig.

One day this nasty old wolf came up to the straw pig's house and said, "I'm gonna huff and puff and blow your house down." And he did !!!

So the straw pig went running over to the stick pig's house and said, "Please let me in, the wolf just blew down my house." So the stick Pig let the straw pig in.

Just then the wolf showed up and said, "I'm gonna huff and puff and blow your house down." And he did !!!

So the straw pig and the stick pig went running over to the brick pig's house and said, "Let us in, let us in, the big bad wolf just blew our houses down!"

So the brick pig let them in just as the wolf showed up. The wolf said, "I'm gonna huff and puff and blow your house down." The straw pig and the stick pig were so scared! But the brick pig picked up the phone and made a call.

A few minutes passed and a big, black Caddy pulls up.

Out step two massive pigs in pin striped suits and fedora hats. These pigs come over to the wolf, grab him by the neck and beat the living crap out of him, then one of them pulled out a gun, stuck it in his mouth and fired, killing the wolf, then they got back into their Caddy and drove off.

The straw pig and stick pig were amazed!!! "Who the hell were those guys?" they asked.

"Those were my cousins... the Guinea Pigs :eek: :eek: :D

10. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

priceless eli, :D :D :D

11. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

I currently run an 8.90 dragster and only do very short burnouts as I am prohibited from crossing the start line under power at Nat events. I used to do a long one and back up but the car always hooked much sooner than other cars. So then, why wont my car do a long burnout? Its on 15X15 Hoosiers at 4.5 lbs.

By the way, when in brackets they always let the digger burnout first. Using my style Ive got the top bulb on before the door car even starts spinning. I hope this will take him off his game on the light. It works sometimes.