Burn Out Question??

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Aug 16, 2006.

1. funnycarguy 230

Just Wanted To Get Other Opinions On This You See Some Guys Roll Thru The Water, With The Tires Still Turning They Will Do The Burnout. Then You See Other Guys Roll Thru And Stop Then Start The Burn Out. Ok What I'm Asking Is Has Anyone Thought About The Rotating Mass That Your Tring To Start Spinning In Hi Gear It Seems That It Would Not Be As Hard On A Clutch Or Trans or just parts in gereral If You Started The Burnout With The Car Rolling everthing is preloaded etc. Does Everyone Do There Burnouts In Hi Gear. If You Stop Looks Like It Would Be A Little Easier On Parts If You Started In 2nd Gear then go to Hi gear once the tires are spinning -just a thought----

Opinions Please

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Great Googly Moogly

Great Googly Moogly Super Comp

Everyone has their own ideas, you'll never get a GOOD answer....

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Either way it takes very little effort to get the car up on the tires in a TA/FC. Rolling through the water and squeezing the throttle to do a burnout is about as effortless as puting the family car in nuetral and reving up the engine.

4. funnycarguy 230

I Know Yor Right About Getting Up On The Tire Takes Very Little Effort. Was Just Curious About Why The Different Styles Of Burnouts. You See It Mostly In A Funnycar But Not The Dragsters And I Have Never Seen It Done With A Nitro Car But I Guess Its Like Everthing Else If It Works For You Whos To Say Its Wrong. Just A Thought

5. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

And it's alot easier on the sprags if your in high gear!;)

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Always in high gear. Just make sure the tires don't get too dry.

Let's see if anyone knows the answer to this question. Who was the guy that started the "rolling" burnouts you see today? Winner gets a free one year membership to Will Hanna's fan club.

Used to be everyone parked it in the bleach box and dropped the hammer.

RG

7. cnitrofumes

cnitrofumes Member

"the guy"

Shirley....started the rollers...

8. aj481x

aj481x Member

Do you remember when bleach was actually used? This didn't last long, as Clorox blown all over cars, and people, was pretty nasty.:p

9. eli

eli Banned

Jungle Jim Leberman ;)

10. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

What was the purpose of using bleach? How was it replaced?

11. aj481x

aj481x Member

Bleach was thought to soften the rubber. This was also the time of the fire burnouts, where gas was poured down, and ignited before the wheel spin. Done properly, this was pretty spectacular, with the tires throwing burning gas in the air. Of course this idea didn't last long either.

12. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Did they realize that bleach did not help or was there progress made in tire compound?

13. Ed Vickroy

Ed Vickroy New Member

burn outs

Randy i rember who it was Floyd Lippincott jr.:D

14. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Everyone had their own bottle of bleach for their own car, and there was no water or hoses in the burnout area. In fact, there wasn't even a designated area to pour the bleach like the "water boxes" we have now. The bleach box ended up where it was for the day depending on where the first guy poured it that morning.

Sometimes we'd all have a bottle of VHT, and man what a mess. The car would drive into the soup that was created by everyone pouring it. You could count on at least 4-5 people each day slipping and falling in it, and whenever a car drove through it strings of goop would fill the air until they stuck to something or someone. When you got in your car it would stick to the seats, and when you got home you had to soak everything in gasoline to get it out. Inside the wheel wells and quarter panels would get caked with it. I sure don't miss all that. If you wanted a good *high* you could put some in a lunch bag and breath it, but that was only for the stoners. LOL.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  15. kylewurtzel

kylewurtzel TA/FC

rolling burnout

I would guess the chi-town hustler. not sure on drive?

16. eli

eli Banned

Believe it or not, there was just water in the bleach bottles, The funny car guys used back in the day,Like Randy said there was no hose to wet the tires so somebody used a bleach bottle and racers being what they were, played follow the leader, and inside of a month every one was using bleach, F%#$ ing up there clothes, and everyone around them, and the fact was that it didn't do any thing to the tire, except dry it out, and I admit i was one of the monkeys too,(monkey see monkey do) Till we figuredd it out, As for the vht, now that stuff made the tire stick, matter of fact Mike Kosky still coats his tires with some kind of traction compound rolls it on with a paint roller, he says it gets him maybe 10 more runs on a set of tires, now the question is WHAT IS CHAVELL?? ;) :D

17. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Back when I raced my altered in the late 1970's I towed it to the races on an open trailer behind my 1971 "CHAVELL" El Camino. LOL.

18. eli

eli Banned

Mybe i should have directed the question to the italians, on this site.:D

19. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

italians with chavells only means your digging a hole to bury someone! :D :eek: right?

20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

burnout methods

roll n' punch or east coast style (stop n roll) is really six one way, half a dozen the other. the main thing is making sure you keep the clutch locked up and don't bog and slip the clutch.

personally i base my burnout length off track temp. if the track is 130+, why would you want to put more heat in the tire? at one point you actually break over center on burnout length. if you do a long jay payne style burnout, the tire has so much time to cool while you're backing up, i think it has a similar effect in relation to tire temp as a short burnout. however it will put more heat in the clutch and engine.

then you have the old debate of backing up directly in the burnout tracks or backing up to the preferred groove.

if the driver does it properly, it really doesn't matter which style...