Building a 572 blown BBC

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Solow, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Solow

Solow New Member

This is my first alky motor for my double frame rail big tire 70 Nova. I started with a Merlin mark 4 block, Molnar 8 cw crank, grip 6.660 rods and diamond 12 to 1 pistons. I have a Race Flow Development solid head with titanium intakes and their T&D shaft rocker. Being my first time out I bought a plain Jane Littlefield 14-71. I have a roller with 286-294 @ .050 with .760 lift on a 112 lc. What do I do about an intake and a flowed hat and fuel pump? I’ve been told this stuff has to match to stay out of trouble. I also have a Enderle gear drive to spin the pump. I recently moved to NC and need to know if I Dyno this engine or shake it down at the track. Give me some feedback on these parts gentlemen and let me know if I can make 1500 to1800 hp with this stuff? It’s a new block and no one I talk to wants to put billet caps on it. Tell me if I’m wasting my time and need a 14,000 dollar billet block (quoted from CN). I melted my blow thru F2 555 bbc down 3 times before I called CSU and got a carb, I learned my lesson.

2. Battleborn

Battleborn Member

Bird catcher hat w/K valve, Enderle 990 fuel pump, you should run port injection as well for tuning, at a minimum you need your fuel pump flowed, with an older blower non hi helix i would guess around 13gpm to start but all depends on air of course. Your best course of action is to buy a tuneup from FIE or Good Vibes, most of the time they wont even charge you if you buy some parts from them. I run dart blocks with billet caps so cant speak on the merlin, best bet would be to call them and see what they figure its good for, shouldn't be a big deal switching to billet caps if you buy the parts direct from them, just have to match them up as close as possible and then do a line hone.

3. Solow

Solow New Member

Thanks for the tip Battleborn. I’ll call them both on a price for the whole system. They seem reasonable. Can I use a cosmetic MLS head gasket or should I go for the o ring? Since the head is solid my machinist said run the block dry also. Cosmetic says their standard gasket is good for 29psi. I’m wondering if this blower can do more than 30 pounds.

4. Battleborn

Battleborn Member

I've always ran copper gaskets, Oring on the head and receiver on the block, buy once cry once kind of thing, your cylinder pressures are going to fairly high with 12-1 static CR, my blocks are filled hardblok right to the deck, you might hit 30lb in the right air with a good blower

5. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Standard helix or high helix? That’s about a 300 hp difference. That exhaust lobe is smaller than I would have chosen for that combo but it will be fine. I’ve run 6.40s at 2000 lbs with cometic mls but the heads definitely moved around a little. Never actually hurt a gasket though. I’ve made a few hundred passes on Merlin 4s at 1500-1800. Started out with cast caps and they looked a little rough. I eventually had billet caps installed and they still chattered a little but not as much. I’ve never done anything when I see material transfer other than pretend I didn’t see it and put it back together.