Brooks rods,read this before you buy

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by PROMOD63, Jun 24, 2009.

1. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

Let me share with you the experiance i am having with brooks rods,we have a 540 hemi and needed to freshen it so we called to get new rods they told us we would have to send a sample so we did they called and told us there had been a dip cut in the rod for cam clearance and they would have to duplicate it, we told them to go ahead and do it when the rods came in they had been put on a mill and a huge flat spot milled down the side of the rod in the neighborhood of .250 from where it needed to be it was much larger then it needed to be and was not a dip like it needed to be i called and spoke with them and they agreeed that the dip was not duplicated but told me that the cut that flat spot all the time and it workes for everyone else and i would just have to grind on them till they fit when i told them that the milling was in the wrong spot and didnt match the old rods they stuck to the theory that they done right and i would just have to make it work so i asked to exchange them for a set that had not been cut at all and i would cut them myself and was told since they were cut they didnt want them back at all so now i am stuck with a set of rods that have way too much material taken off in the wrong spot and i will have to take even moore off to make them work i know i have read on here about other people with concerns about brooks rods so heres my two cense be careful who you deal with

2. RUGSTER

RUGSTER New Member

That's downright RUDE!!
    Shame on you Brooks Rods:mad:
    Surely, if it were there cock up they should at least have the balls to admit it and sling you another fresh deck to modify:rolleyes:

3. craig moss

craig moss Member

Bad customer service !!!!!

That is a load of Sh$t!! I would e-mail them this thread and tell them the internet is a powerful tool, and how many people see this on just one site. If it was me I would spend every waking moment bashing them !!!:eek: Good luck and keep us posted Craig

4. JM

JM Member

I've always had good dealings with Brooks. I did my own cam clearance in my last set of rods under the direction of the people at Brooks. Seems like a lot of racers agree that Brooks is one of the better rod manufacturers (either 65 series or B-2 rod). I would be P.Oed if I was in your shoes with a now junk set of new rods whittled away to nothing once you machine them in the correct spot. So with no reasonable resolve (and I sure would think Brooks would stand behind their *@#%& UP), where else do we go?
    MGP doesn't list any chrysler applications on their web site. Seen GRP's sticking of more than one pan. BME is a rich man's rod......
    So other than Brooks - who else makes a reliable (no such thing as indistructable) rod for our Chryslers? Anyone?

5. pete9857

pete9857 Member

rods

Try Fowler in Columbus

6. Moparious Maximus

I use R&R rods from Illinois, www. RRRacingproducts.com They are not the cheapest rods, but I've never had a problem dealing with them. Ph# (815) 465-6741

7. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Promod,
    I would talk with a different person at Brooks.

8. badbird

badbird New Member

I have MGP rods in a hemi I think its a real normal deal nothing special
    and we get 20 passes of over 10,000 rpm

9. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

all I have to say about brooks is all good...service..and craftmanship:):) my front page of my website is brooks,, and no there are not a sponce for me..i wish:)Dave Lowe
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

10. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

it sucks that you are out the $$....we used to run Brooks, always had great service. if you are going to buy a set of rods, do yourself a favor and call MGP. talk with Noah....great people to deal with. http://www.mgpconnectingrods.com/ there is no comparison to the workmanship in a set of their rods and a set of Brooks
    Darren

11. TAD240

TAD240 New Member

Bad Rods

How did you pay for the rods? If you paid by credit card, call your credit card company and inform them the product you bought is not manufactured correctly and that you are refusing to pay for them. The credit card company will help negotiate on your behalf. I don't know if you paid the CC bill yet or not, but try the CC company anyway and see what they will do. Then next time buy someone elses product, don't reward a bad business! Good Luck!

12. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Grp

Brian at GRP should be able to handle whatever you throw at him, great product, great service. The majority of the fast alcohol cars run their rod.

13. thjts

thjts New Member

Don't you believe it. Credit card companies don't care about you getting ripped off. As long as they are earning money from your use of their card they are happy. If you don't pay they will come after you, not the company that ripped you off. They are just part of the big scam that is the banking system.

14. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

PROMOD63, If you are that hard done by please post a picture of the suspect rods so we can see what was actually done to them, make sure you take side and front shots.This is very important because we would like to see them as proof, cause it doesn't sound like Brooks' work.

It is only your word now as Jerry (@ Brooks) has not had a public right of reply as yet, please show us whatcha got

Doug

15. smokinboyz

smokinboyz Member

brooks made my rods with the scallop in them and they were spot on,,,,,,no sample rod , just told them what i was doing and they were right first time,,,,,,,dont know what went wrong with yours,,,,,,,,all good here

16. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

i am well versed in the ways of credit card disputes, in the used auto parts business we deal with it on a daily basis and this will be addressed when the card bill comes in i have many pictures of the rods i even painted the cut aera black and took some pics so it would be easy to see the differance in the cut i can post them here if i can figure out how........ to brooks defense they called yesterday after hereing about this post and asked how to correct the situation but yesterday was two days two late because we had to just grind these rods and get the engine together they did offer to fix the problem but it took a public bashing to get the call and it came too late so as for now these rods have been cut twice and the engine is together ill just cross my fingers and hope it lasts till i can replace the rods as for what action i think brooks should take send me a new set of uncut rods or give me a refund one of which i can assure you will happen

17. 3-D

3-D Member

i understand your frustration, but I would take them out of the motor and take them up on their "offer to make it right". If your rod fails now, it will all be out of your pocket. They will probably send you a set immediatly so you can do a remove and reinstall the same week. I would fell alot better about the new set being in my motor with all of the other high dollar items at risk (that they definatly will not "make right").

18. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Rods

I do know how you feel, but don't complain when they are hanging out of the block, broke cam heads etc. There is no race that important to risk that. Don

19. GregM784

GregM784 Member

With their offer on the table, the rods would be out and on the way back to them. Sitting out a race for the right part is better than sitting out 5 races waiting for the right parts

20. big blue oval

big blue oval Member

Does no one like BME?