Brakes! Carbon Fiber Or ? Tad

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITRO743, Dec 17, 2005.

1. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Hope you guys will give me the straight scoop on this subject...Running TAD, have strange full floater rear end and I am wondering if anyone running TAD is still using steel brakes and rotors or has pretty much everyone gone to carbon fiber? any and all pros and cons will be considered...Of course I want to stop but let me know what you think and any or all brands you have used or do use and your suggestions....Thanks again Will. Love ITA

2. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Come On Guys I Could Use Your Help Here...

3. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Brakes

this will be a toss up for you to answer..

1) how much over wieght are you to the minimum ??? this could determin..

by going with carbon fiber rotors, you will shed some wieght but you will pay alot more, and you will have to learn to pre warm them. like dragging your brakes while doing your burn out,. carbon fiber tends to take a little more longer to warm up and occasionally they will grab abruptly, but nothing wrong with carbon rotors, lots of racers use them w/no probs

2) steel rotors, well what can you say there steel. they weigh more they cost less and they work fine...

steel calipers)..loose um, go with the current calipers available from strange.......hope this settles your mind...

4. NervesofSteel

Hello Nitro 743,
    Check out the thread right below yours on brakes started by Mark Tigges

5. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

I Saw That After I Entered My Question Steel But I Know Ta/fc Use 4 Wheel Brakes And Of Course My Dragster Has 2 So I Think My Question Is Still Relevent...i Also Caught That Error Blood...steel Rotors, Aluminum Calipers!!! Are You Guys In Tad Using Carbon Or Steel??? Help Me Out Here Guys And Gals...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  6. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

I have ran steel from day 1 . hope this helps

7. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Also I Have 150lbs. Of Weight Bolted In Front Of Rear End So Weight Really Should'nt Be An Issue. Thanks.keep Um Coming!!!

8. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

What Brand Lee? My Best To You And Yours Next Year.

9. Lee Callaway

Lee Callaway The Gov

Strange. work fine

10. jim wiens

jim wiens New Member

I have strange steel brakes on a outlaw pro-mod how thin can you grind them and how much warping ( cup shape) can they have

11. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Jim- Call Strange...they Are More Than Helpful And A Great Company That Will Give You The Straight Scoop On Your Question...

12. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Keep'm Coming!!

I Would Like To Hear From A Few More Of You Guys And Gals Out There...

13. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

steel rotors and aluminum calipers that is all i have ever used and they work great..I also use strange.if it is a weight factor!!!!! like my crew cheif said ''DAVE'' LOOSE A FEW POUNDS...''GO ON A DIET'' it's free

14. clint thompson

re carbon vs. steel brakes

having had both steel and carbon brakes (both by strange) there is more to it than just the weight. the calipers for either are the same. the carbon brakes STOP BETTER than the steel brakes, they don't warp, they last and last (mine are four seasons old and still excellent) and they are lighter. they do work BETTER when they are hot, but i have not found it ness to "heat them up" by dragging brakes in burnout or anything. if you have a chute failure they just keep getting better as you are stopping instead of fading out like the steel ones do when they get hot. they hold excellent on the starting line after a normal stop from a burnout. if you can swing the extra $$, my opinion is go with the carbon brakes.

15. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Clint:

Without carbon brakes you'd be dead meat at Pomona.

RG

16. johnny ahten

johnny ahten Member

I have run both steel and carbon. When I ran steel brakes I really didn't think it was any big deal. I did feel my steel brakes fade alot but the car always did stop. I would lightly sand my brake pads after most races because they would "glaze." When we switched to carbon it was because we switched chassis, put a new toploader in and we felt at that point it wasn't that much more for carbon (plus we saw too many alcohol cars in the sand at Pomona.) It wasn't because we had to have the newest gizmo.

Holy smokes! what a difference. It was like switching to power brakes. I have stopped at Fontana from 250+ and Pomona no problem. I have never had to "drag" or put heat in the brakes. At these mph's and alot of marginal Division tracks I don't think I would ever go back to steel.

Just my 2 cents from our experience.
    Johnny "rotten" Ahten

17. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

stay home 'till you can afford them!

I'm one of those that has to hear the sob stories and fix peoples junk !
    There are plenty of happy steel brake users, they're the ones who so far have been lucky!
    Now ask someone like Chris Russell who had the uncanny luck of 3 out of 3 years with chute failure at the same track! Two times it was new nose and Canards, it could of been worse. The third time was with carbon, the car ran 6 mph faster than the other adventures, and they had to go around the end of the guardrail and 400 feet back up the track to hook up !
    I just explain to my people that I'm old, and now completey understand the old bull story of "lets WALK down the hill".
    Just stay home until you can afford the $1500.00 difference. One bad day can cost a hell of a lot more than that.
    Uncle Bob

18. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Come on, Bob. Your making too much sense. If you aren't carefull, someone will actually take your advice and prove you're right.

Keep up the good work!

RG

19. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

Need to stop

Bob you are a guru. Everything on a racecar is very important but the most overlooked is the brakes Carbon is the only way to go. Ran the first sets they made will never go to anything else if you dont like S**t in your firesuit.Had them all and thats is the only way to go. Cheap investment! My 2 cents. Mike

20. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

carbon brakes

thank's uncle bob, i knew you would'nt lead me astray...check your pm. thanks to everyone for all your replies, as usual ask a question and get 10 different answers. sorry guys carbon it is...you should switch to. safety is always #1 never forget it. or you will regret it!!!

the DARKSIDE TAD-