Brain Twister

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ttutubono, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Gene I had thought about your dual drive concept while reading this thread but didnt post because like Maynard I realized that the whipping of the crankshaft would negate any advantage possibly even shearing the camshaft because of harmonics. Probably what would be ideal would be to drive the camshaft from the center but for that you would have to increase the center bore spacings to accomodate such a drive and that wouldnt be legal. Another Idea would be to use the twin drive concept both front and rear but to section or halve the camshaft at the center to isolate it from harmonics. Maynard you also bring up the option of slide valves but you would need to support the chamber and provide a wide slot to operate that kind of valve. Wouldn't a ball valve be a better option? You would still have to move the weight of a slide out of the way of a port which would mean springs again but a ball valve simply has to rotate on an axis.

[ February 20, 2005, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Woodchip ]

2. Maynard

Maynard none

I dunno. We see rifle drilling in axles to lighten em up but they are made and heat treated to flex, twist, change form and come back to original.

I just dont know. It is an interesting concept.

3. ttutubono

ttutubono Guest

The more we get in to the cam and trying to make more power, i`m starting to think we are getting away from the problem,So lets think about what goes on from the starting line to the 1/8 mile mark, the car leaves the line, front wheels are in the air possibly to 400 feet, air is going UNDER the car, now when the front tires touch down, the back tires already started to grow, so now the body is at more of an angel of attack, the more the tire grows the worst the angel,now i know from experience that the tire has to grow or the car won`t make it to the finnish line, unless you got 3.50 gears, then it won`t e/t with them gears, so the obvious thing to do is to have a body that will loose it`s angel of attack as it goes down the track ( just enough to make it work for you instead of against you) now i don`t know if this is legal, like every thing else with nhra, if they didn`t think of it its no good. Gene Terenzio Sr.

4. Maynard

Maynard none

Yes Woodchip, a ball could work out better. My slide valve wouldn't utilize springs, rather, it would have powered opening and closing on hydralics or electro magnetic actuators. I believe once you got rid of the shafts, rockers, springs, stands and push rods and were using smaller ports as a result of more efficent ports, you'd have alot of area to put these things.

5. Maynard

Maynard none

Yeah Gene, I think to make more power from the cam alone, you'd have to have the grinder reindex the profile according to some known amount brought about by testing. In other words, If 1 and 2 were close to the intended valve event and 3 and 4 were a little retarded. you could assume that cylinders 5 and 6 would be impacted a little more then 3 and 4 and 7 and 8 would be worse then 5 and 6. So, to test for this, you'd simply have to figure out the amount of compounded deflection from 9000 to 10,000 rpm and have the grinder adjust each lobe profile accordingly. I wonder if thats what Greg Anderson is on to. lol

6. qr449

qr449 New Member

THINK ABOUT THIS, YOU SPEND 3.5 SEOCNDS REACHING THE 1/8 MILE AND 1.5 SECONDS IN THE LAST 1/8. THATS WHY THE 60' TIME IS IMPORTANT.......... :rolleyes:

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The reason not much MPH is made in the last half of the run is that the power for MPH is a function of velocity squared which is very non-linear…. Faster speeds really require huge increases in horsepower. Due to high drag rise occurring as a function of Velocity Squared, horsepower must increase at a tremendous rate just for a small MPH increase. In addition, engine rpm begins to match drive shaft speeds as vehicle speeds increases so any gearing advantage is lost.

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Can you say "Speed is indicator of HP".

9. ttutubono

ttutubono Guest

I know that h/p = mph, but nhra says we cant make any more h/p, no boost no head work ( were 90 % of the h/p comes from), so the only other thing we can do, ( and i`m not sure if its even legal) is to fix the body so its more aero, When a funny car backs up you see the tail lights flip up, that's from the tires blowing them opened so when the car is going down the track the tires are blowing agents the tin and back half of the car trying to lift the body up, so you got two forces fighting each other, one trying to lift the body the other trying to push it down, how do we make them work together? maybe a fender or tub so the tire wind is pushing the car foward or some type of reliefe in the back of the car above the tire to relivee the pressure. Gene Terenzio Sr.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, speed is a directly related to horsepower. Pure physics in moving a set mass down a track against drag. I have charts that if I know the finishline speed it computes what the incrementals should be IF and I say IF the car is set up correctly (clutch, traction etc). The chart is very good in figuring out where a problem is because it is all so predictable and it already takes in account the weight and drag because it uses actual MPH. And no the chart is not going to be given out.

It is interesting to watch the turbo ProMods MPH because they really are about 20 MPH above the roots blowers because of the horsepower they can generate. So far we are all lucky that they cannot get it down on the track during the first half. Maybe one day.

11. ttutubono

ttutubono Guest

MIKE TKACH, I sent you my # and e-mail address ,did you get it? Gene Terenzio Sr. :confused: ====== MIKE CANTER, you get one of them turbo pro mods to put a crowerglide in there car and send me the (clutch)hat, and let me wave my magic wand over it then watch out Gene Terenzio Sr. :D

[ February 22, 2005, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: ttutubono ]

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Ya know Gene I agree with you. The problem is that they need to keep the rpm up on launch for the boost and you have to have the clutch set to take the 3000HP later down track so the clutch is tight and comes on strong and pull the rpm down so they lose power off the line and bog some then they seem to get it together and make a good charge but the ET was already lost. A Crowerglide or a AFT Lockup clutch maybe the answer. Maybe we shouldn't discuss it on the boards because if they take an idea and make them work we will all regret it. Someday.

13. ttutubono

ttutubono Guest

Ya, Mike we wont talk about it ,but I can tell you this, A Crowerglide out of the box won`t work. Gene Terenzio Sr. :D

[ February 22, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: ttutubono ]