BLOWN BBC setup

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by OVERBLOWN OUTLAW, Dec 2, 2006.

1. OVERBLOWN OUTLAW

OVERBLOWN OUTLAW New Member

I am building a Blown 454 BBC, standard bore so ci will stay at 454ci. it's a Chevy Block not an after market block. the block is a four bolt main, ARP studed mains and heads.
    1471 Littlefield Hi helix, Alcohol burning, Carbon fiber injector hat. Brodix 365cc heads.
    I was thinking on 13 to 1 or 12.5 compression. how much HP can be made using a Chevy block? before the big bang. any help will be greatly apriaciated. does this block need to get filled being that it is a virgin never bored? what timing is a good starting point? I am using injector nozzles and ports, Enderle 1200 fuel pump.
    thanx for your time and any help
    Jimmy

2. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Bbc

On Your Combo Myself I Think The Comp. Is A Little High For The Blower You Have. It Will Work But I Think Back It Down To 11 And Help Save The Lower End Of The Block. The Block Should Be Filled As This Probaly Is The Motors Weak Point Is The Main Web Area. Timing Probaly Depends On Ignition System If You Have A Msd 44 Or A Mallory Super Mag That Will Make A Little Differnece Also Depends On Your Elevation With The Timing And Compression Ratio. If You Race At A Sea Level Track Or If You Are At Bandimere Co. That Will Make A Difference On Timing And Compression As Well. I Think Your Fuel Pump Is Way To Big And It Should Be Backed Down To A 110 Or 990. How Much Power Are You Looking To Make?

3. OVERBLOWN OUTLAW

I'm looking to make as much HP as the motor can take. If I can make 1800-2000 that would be awesome. whatever HP it would take to run 6.90's in a 3,000 lb car that would be my Ultimate goal. I race at English Town NJ Raceway park and Atco NJ. I run a MSD 10 Plus, I'll go to a MSD PRO Mag 44 mid season.

4. overkill69

overkill69 Member

You have some serious parts except for the block. It will be a nonstop headache. We pushed a stock 454 to 1700hp with splayed main caps and filled to the top. You could make 2000 reliable horsepower with a good aftermarket iron block. Use 11-11.5 to 1 and 30 degrees timing to start. I agree with JR the pump is too big. A 990 would be about perfect. The MSD 10 will work. Oddy's can hook you up with a good cam and good advice on how to make a Chevy scream.

5. blown375

blown375 New Member

Good luck with the stock 454 ,4-bolt block! I use to work on supermodified circle track cars. Those guys were about 650 to 700HP around 14to1 injected alcohol and they would break the rear main out of stock 4-bolt blocks! The guys that ran stock blocks would use 2-bolt blocks and convert the 3 three center caps to 4-bolt or convert them all to splayed caps.
    I wish you best of luck with that block.

6. SMOKIN JOE

SMOKIN JOE Member

Block-hp.

To Run Those Numbers You Will Have To Really Squeeze That 454 W/conv. Heads. The Other Problem Is Blowing Head Gaskets W/o.e.m Block. I Run A Conv./head Oddy 540 @ 3180 It Runs 7.20s. I Have To Take Alot Of Timing Out On The Hit To Stop From Blowing The Tires Off. I Have A Friend That Runs 7.00 W/a 509 @ 3100# But He Has Big Pro Mod Type Tires And Hits It W/no Timing Out On The Start. If You Have Any Questions I'd Be Happy To Help. Good Luck.

7. OVERBLOWN OUTLAW

thank you all for your input and help I will be back for more help

8. DQUES

DQUES Member

My stock block was fine at 12-1300 hp with a 10-71 and it had the ODDY cam and fuel system also . The main caps walked around a little bit but it was pretty happy otherwise with the stock caps . Well it was fine for 2 seasons until we had to go faster and decided to switch to a 14-71 HH mert . Oddy said to put the splayed caps on along with the extra head lugs in the valley which we did and he also said the stock block would not live long . 3 dyno pulls and we were up to 1550 hp . First run down the track at about 660' the rear main bulkhead ripped out of the block up to the cam journal and that was the end of our iron block days . If you have to run an iron block you might want to take a good look at a dart big M or maybe even a merlin . A kb olds or century bolck is even a better choice seeing as they can we repaired .

9. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Follow the thread, good advice from the front-line. Ditch the block if you can aford it and get a Dart. Can't build anything on a weak foundation. Good luck.

10. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

This seems ALOT like the Jimmy Paine thread.....IMO.

Keith

11. Nitrofish4700

Nitrofish4700 New Member

We use a IV block unfilled 468 cid 10-71 20 over with about 12.0-1 compression
    we've been 6.74 @ 201 in a front motored car

TroubleMaker Motorsports

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  12. Div6 safety

Div6 safety New Member

like above, we used AFR 345's but had a 1790lb FED. We hit a 6.82. The more mag the more fuel. We ran 34.5 in the lead. 16 nozzels are a bit much. 8 do the trick as well.

Russ;)

13. Div6 safety

Div6 safety New Member

sorry, had a tired 671

14. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Yea but this guy is almost wanting to run with you guys and at 3000 pounds.
    I think upgrading the block is a good idea.

Blessings.........Ron Clevenger.

15. S-10promod

S-10promod New Member

Sounds like you have some good pieces,it will be a shame to blow them up when the stock block let's go!! :( Sell the virgin block and get a good aftermarket!!!

16. Stephen McClain

Stephen McClain New Member

Hi,
    Is your Chevy block short or tall ? If you decide to switch to a aftermarket block we may be interested in your chevy if it a short deck. We have ran our best using the chevy block in our front motor top fuel car. ( 6.22 at 224.88 ) on 95 % nitro. We have a dart block and its nice but the chevy always runs better. We are in the east.
    Let us know.
    Thanks
    Stephen McClain
    Tri-State-Racing AA/FD

17. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Damn Steve! Welcome Aboard!

Your fueler is wicked! Would love to pick your brain on how to make a steel BBC live in the nitro world!

Something I've been wanting to do for years. Everyone says it can't be done.....for long.

You guys prove 'em wrong.

Keith

18. flatbladed

flatbladed New Member

Run It !!!!!!!!!!!

there are a few chev guys out there running stock steel cap blocks. fill em to the deck with concrete. run a crank support. stay away from the timing. run alot of fuel and cold plugs. be sure engine is hot enough to burn it run port nozzels to tune it.keep the compression low or a cam with lots of overlap.

19. Stephen McClain

Stephen McClain New Member

Hi,

I raced with Jim Bucher in 1976. The combination that we run is the same as he did. We are using the iron block, closed chamber iron heads and the GM stock 3.76 stroke crank. Jim ran 6.09 with his iron block and in the 5's with the ZL1. We just got a new ZL1 and plan on running it in the near future. Its almost a shame to race this block its that nice. If you notice we have a chevy problem. This is a nice site with a lot of neet stuff.
    Thanks
    Stephen McClain

gf20295 likes this.
  20. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Stephen,

No problem havin' a Chevy Problem :D
    So do I! I'm just using the wrong fuel...for now.
    We need to stick together. We're out numbered by these Hemi guys.

Keith