Blown Alcohol Ring Package - Piston Coatings

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by ProMod83, Sep 20, 2014.

1. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

Recently tore down my blown alky fat head and we have found we had 3 cylinders that pinched the 2nd ring. It got me thinking about piston coatings and ring packages.

I know we probably pinched the rings do to the engine being a little too lean however some say it was too fat. In any case the engine was fresh with (5) 1/8 mile runs on it total. The skirts are kind of scuffed past my liking. I also noticed we have some lines straight up and down in numerous cylinders in various spots 360 degrees around the cylinder. I would almost assume the rings were butting but we had a .036" gap top and secondon a 4.4675 bore. Tool steel dyke top ring and gapless second.

I am going to order new pistons/rings and was considering a different ring package and skirt coating. I know this isn't going to solve our fuel issue as we have run this combo with fairly good results prior but we have never pushed the engine as hard as we have now boost wise.

I was thinking maybe a gapless top and gas porting with a standard second ring.

What is every ones experience and opinion. We are trying to run 60-65 psi

Thanks,
    Billy Thompson

2. Blown5402

Blown5402 Member

Engine usage?

Billy, is the motor being used in a door car, dragster, boat or pulling? That could make some differences? Thanks, Jim

QUOTE=ProMod83;202261]Recently tore down my blown alky fat head and we have found we had 3 cylinders

that pinched the 2nd ring. It got me thinking about piston coatings and ring packages.

I know we probably pinched the rings do to the engine being a little too lean however some say it was too fat. In any case the engine was fresh with (5) 1/8 mile runs on it total. The skirts are kind of scuffed past my liking. I also noticed we have some lines straight up and down in numerous cylinders in various spots 360 degrees around the cylinder. I would almost assume the rings were butting but we had a .036" gap top and secondon a 4.4675 bore. Tool steel dyke top ring and gapless second.

I am going to order new pistons/rings and was considering a different ring package and skirt coating. I know this isn't going to solve our fuel issue as we have run this combo with fairly good results prior but we have never pushed the engine as hard as we have now boost wise.

I was thinking maybe a gapless top and gas porting with a standard second ring.

What is every ones experience and opinion. We are trying to run 60-65 psi

Thanks,
    Billy Thompson[/QUOTE]

3. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Where the pistons hard anodized?

Blessings..........Ron C

4. ProMod83

ProMod83 Member

This is in a door car. Pro Mod

The pistons are not hard anodized or coated just standard pistons at the moment.

5. Blown5402

Blown5402 Member

Too lean?

I am waiting on responses too as I just detonated pistons and pinched the second rings and collapsed piston skirts bad! I think we went lean with 48#s of boost on the 2-step and not enough fuel and got EGTs way to high for launch, any ideas to help both of us! Thanks in advance, Jim
    Outlaw ProMod BAE 5 fathead door car-

6. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

Tool steel rings are hard on cylinders i have worked on fuel and alky cars moly tops and plain iron 2nd are used alot