Blower shop XR1 14/71 performance

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Neil Morley, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Neil Morley

Neil Morley Member

Yes thank you , I know top fuel is different than alchohol but that still says something of the potential, I would like to hear from someone that has had the same success on alchohol.

2. promodracer

promodracer Member

Ditto, mike

3. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I have recently purchased a new 14-71 TBS XR1 HH. Have not got it running yet. I am not trying to rotate the earth with my deal like a Promod. I am trying to make as much power as I can at a lower boost and OD. After I get this thing running and hit a race or two, I'll report back on my findings. My previous blower was a TBS 14-71 HH retro. No other changes will be made to my combination, so it should be a good comparison.

BTW it looks like the rotors on the XR1 are set back about an inch, inch and a half more than on an M4.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

As I have said before, there is no winning promod out there with that blower on it. I can tell you for sure if there was we would all be using it.

5. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

That may be true, Mike. Like the OP, I just wonder if anyone has tried one. I'm guessing that a top of the line DPME, Fowler, etc that also costs considerably more might outperform the TBS, but until someone actually tries one we just don't know.

Not being in the Promod "circles" I gathered all the info I could before purchasing this blower, I talked to DPME, PSI, Fowler and Littlefield. I also spoke to Eddie Knox who runs this blower on his record holding T/F hydro, he did see a small performance and durability improvement over his previous blower, which was one of those mentioned above. While I'm sure I couldn't go wrong with any of the above mentioned blowers, I decided for several reasons I can't go into here to go with the TBS. Is it the absolute best tool for the job? Maybe not. But for my intended use it's pretty much overkill anyways. That being said, I won't be a big help to any of the Promod guys with me "testing" the XR1 because I'll be running a much lower boost and engine RPM range than they do and I have not run any of the other blowers mentioned. But I will report back on how this all works out.

6. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

No offense Mike, I respect your knowledge, and don't want to sound like a smart ass, and are also as guilty as the next guy, but maybe if someone would try something different and not be so much monkey see monkey do person, we might find out there is something better. I'm convinced thats why guys come from Sweden and Australia kick our asses because they are doing things different to their parts and cars as well as running them in ways a little away from ordinary.
    Maybe no top runners are using these blowers because because they are convinced that they have the best there is already.

Dale

BEDNAR1320 likes this.
  7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Eddie is a top fuel hydro and uses a standard helix blower. Totally different ballgame and can't be really compared to a high helix alcohol promod.

8. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I'll agree with that, apples to oranges.

But it does show that they build a good piece, don't you think?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  9. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I spoke to Eddie, they are allowed to and do run a High Helix blower FWIW.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That's interesting. Still a top fuel boat which is hard to compare to a blown alcohol promod

Danny Spiden likes this.
  11. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I was surprised they can run a HH blower. I'll agree, running nitro and being a boat would be quite different from alcohol and asphalt

12. promodracer

promodracer Member

NOPE

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I sure have been looking harder for that blower at a track but no luck yet

14. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Maybe someday..........................

I did hear from The Blower Shop that there are some pullers running them, don't know who though.

15. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Here's the latest, this blower is now on my 540 12° BBC. At 9% OD it's making 24.5#@8000 RPM. I have very little stagger in the port nozzles, egt's and plugs very even front to rear. The blower is not setback, just bolted to the Indy intake. Don't have an intake air temperature sensor, so don't know about that. Just went 3.80 lifting .5 before the stripe, car weighs 1960#.

16. DQUES

DQUES Member

You must be in Bradenton .

17. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

I was, home now......

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So is it a high helix type blower or a standard helix because it is a top fuel boat and doesn't need the high boost numbers

19. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Mine is a HH.

20. BEDNAR1320

BEDNAR1320 Member

Eddie Knox told me they are running 50+ boost. They can and do run a HH.