Block Mount Starters

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by AFC357, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Could you narrow that down a little? Brands, part numbers?
    I have been using no relay for a long time. Just lucky I guess so I will try a relay to avoid disaster.

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

3. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

After re-reading I see why some of you are using relays. It's due to the 24 volts going to the starter solenoid, yes?
    For many years on my own junk I have just been using 12v to the solenoid with no issues. I went this route at the time because 24v would instantly fry the little neutral safety switch. Automatic trans at the time. No issue with the 12v to the solenoid. 12v is all it needs to engage so I am not sure I grasp why 24v to the noid is necessary or an advantage.

FWIW I have a mag and no other electrical items to juice so I kept it simple. Mech tach and oil psi gauge. The logger has it's own mini battery. IF I had a bunch of 12v items to run and protect I would step up the program to utilize the 12v/24v switching scenario.

BTW, that $700 CSR starter box thing. What makes it "smart"?
    What the heck is in it that dictates it's pricing?
    Seems like a 100-200 dollar switching relay accomplishes the same thing.

4. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

These mini gear driven starters are actually from the small import cars. They are adapted to fit the various blocks with an after market billet piece that will bolt them to the block.

There are two models, one is longer than the other. The longer ones are from the diesel imports. I would suggest stop paying big bucks to these various venders (there pretty much all the same inside) and find a local Import Starter/Alternator rebuild shop.

I have an original Tilton and CSR mini starter. I took them into my local shop and they told me exactly who the orginal manufacturer was. And they rebuild't and upgraded them to the diesel units. The rebuild and upgrade was about $100 each.

Now they work super with a 16v battery and we use them on our two dragsters. one is a BBC 8-71 alchol injected ProMag 12 and the other is a BBC ProCharger MSD 10 Plus deal.

That's my story anyway..................Blessings..........Ron

5. Shakedown

Shakedown Jr. Dragster

Gpe

I run GPE starters on both are cars. Both blown, roots and screw we put 36 volts to the starter with no probs YET. But we had to mill on both starters also. I mount starter and apply 12v at a low amp to kick the starter dog out to check shimming. Just the way I do it don't beat me up!!!!!!

6. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

24v or greater starters

Hi all, if it makes it easier, you could always use a 24v truck solenoid rather than the 12v one supplied with the starter itself and this could be mounted remotely. You should never put more that 12v (16v is probably OK) to the solenoid if you want it to last.

7. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Well, we threw 24V through 10ga wire to the solenoid last night and SHAZAM!! Works like a champ!! Was the Braile battery too small? 14ga wire to the solenoid too small?? Just thought I would share with ya...thing sounds bad-ass:cool: But developed a bad oil leak in the Hain Drive:( Try to get parts for that thing today...I have their e-mail/phone/fax but lost Leonards cell #...does anyone have that??!! Seems to be the BEST way to get ahold of them?!

8. G Martin

G Martin Member

I sent you a PM with Leonard's cell number.

Greg

9. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Thanks!! Lost my phone (and ALL the numbver in it out on the lake):eek:

10. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

You are using a remote mount ford solenoid...right? Just jump the wire across the starter solenoid to the batt. wire post. Been using a 12 volt mezzerie forever with 16 volts untill I freshened the blower, then it would not spin the mag fast enough so I bought a 24 volt mezzerie and after over 35 starts no problems yet. I run the big mezziere starter and had to mill a little off the pan rail on my MBR motor to get it to mount to the mid-plate. I have a small 12 volt braille batt in the nose of my dragster to run the electronics and hit the ford soelnoid with 12 volts, a 24 volt batt pack plugs in and run through the ford soelnoid to the 24 volt starter.

11. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Just want to say "Thanks" for all the input....threw the MSD starter in the scrap bin:rolleyes: put the GPE on and couldn't be happier with it! Started it a bunch now w/no issues!! Yes, I am not bashful to tell ya what I think about something...good or bad....constructive critisism benefits us all;)