Better read this one - NEW NITRO REGULATIONS

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Another government over reaction- effing amazing. But then again coming from the ATF it shouldn't be a surprise. They have a name for them in England- wankers. If I was going to build a bomb there are lots of easier and certainly more explosive ways to do it. When do they place armed guards on the trucks that deliver propane to your neighborhood? Ever see the drivers leave them running while they go behind the houses to fill the tanks? Restricting nitro methane is like spitting into the wind- makes a mess all over your shirt but that is about all it accomplishes. Dave Germain

2. alloutracing

alloutracing Top Alcohol

Nitro

Hey guys I have an CDL with an Hazmat endorsement on it. I would think as long as you display the placards on all sides of your rig and have a hazmat endorsement your just fine. The DOT are doing FBI background checks now that will run you about $100.00 and the test is a real pain to pass, You need to real do you homework and know the hazmat book before going to DOT office to take it or you won't pass. Can somebody send me an link to where and what all these new reg's are that have come out? Or are they just now pulling there heads out and found out what we are really transporting in these trailers?
    Andrew

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Whiteley is within 6 of Lucas at Pomona, so it is looking good for the BADs. This price increase might make the AFD guys actually spend some BAD-type money.:rolleyes:

4. bud7291

bud7291 New Member

Just to show you how stupid some agencies are... I don't know how many people on this board have been to Tallahassee, but if you have you should know Tennessee street is the biggest street in the city... One of its busiest intersections is with Ocala... A private plane crashed in the intersection last night (no fatalities), and the FAA requires that NOTHING be touched until it conducts a complete investigation... So two of the busiest streets are being closed for god knows how long until they determine what caused it to crash...

CJ Curtsinger

5. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

As an intent fan, I would think the precautions racers go to to protect their trailers, cars, parts and tools from "regular" idiots would be sufficient to protect those things from all but the most intent terrorists.
    IMHO being a registered member of a racing group, NHRA, IHRA, Goodguys, or independent (Nostalgia Boys, etc.), should be sufficient to possess 1 or 2 barrels at a time of the magic fluid.
    The problem as I see it is not racers having the barrels to be stolen, but, the dealers selling to the wrong people ( and no TAD guys that doesn't mean A/Foolers)
    Lee
    Nitroclovers

6. eli

eli Banned

I'm not sure of the year, but Slammin Sammy Miller, had to stop running his rocket funny car over sea's because of a ban on hydrogen peroxide, for the same reasons as this deal, it's all bull $hit, but maybe it could be a good thing, maybe NHRA will ban nitro all together. then you guys will be ahead of the fuel guys in data and you will be the show. Just Dreaming. But hey it happend before. :)

7. alloutracing

alloutracing Top Alcohol

Nitro

If I remember right I think anything below 1001 lb. of anything is consider mix freight by the DOT. Thats why you can carry your torch rig, welding bottles, Nitrous bottles, and etc. with you and only have to fill it out on your paper work on what and how much you are caring with you. You should not have to display placards unless one item is over 1001 lbs. Around 8 lbs per gallon should let you carry at least two drums with no problems without a hazmat endorsement on your cdl with the DOT.
    Don't take my word for it. If you are going to transport a large amount of nitro give the DOT of your local state a quick phone call and they will help you out on the reg's.
    Now what I would like to know was it NHRA or VP telling everyone they could not possess nitro after the race and would have to return it before leaving the track?
    Also who made the threat of the $25,000 fine NHRA or VP?
    Andrew

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  8. nitroclovers

nitroclovers New Member

Does Torco sell nitro? What are their procedures? Strange haven't heard anything.

Lee
    Nitroclovers

9. tad2155

tad2155 Member

Nitro-Shine

sometimes it's good to be in the truckin bezness;) just sometimes

In Bama

10. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Nitro regulations

I do not think that these nitro regulations are coming from ATF. The regs come down from the Department of Homeland Security.The way that I understand it is that racers that do not have "special credentials" from DHS will be able to purchase nitro in 40 gallon quantities. For those that want to purchase and transport larger quantities can do so after providing DHS with documentation proving ability Protect against theft while storing and transporting nitromethane. The regs for transporting come from DOT. The regs that are imposed by NHRA are only enforceable on private property and are imposed to comply with DHS regulations for those who do not have special credentials for larger quantities. That way they keep the teams equal and NHRA doesn't have to get into a pissing contest over credentials. And they have a captive consumer! Once you leave NHRA controlled property the regs now are DHS and DOT, and based on the credentials that you have. The price increase on nitro is based on the fact that they CAN, because they have eliminated competition from other nitro suppliers. This is great for them, but it SUCKS to be us. I am not an authority on this topic, I am just trying to shed some light on the matter as I understand it. Goldy

11. eli

eli Banned

12. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Thanks for the link

Gene; Thank you for the link to the anti trust laws. Very very interesting,it sure seems to fit the situation. Goldy

13. nitrogal1

nitrogal1 Wrench Wench

We raced in Bradenton last weekend, and hadnt yet been informed of any of the changes until we were standing at the VP trailer trying to get the barrel we had ordered to be delivered to us at the track. The guys there were nice enough about letting us know as much as they knew...which also didnt seem to be much. Does anyone know if Homeland Security will do some kind of "safe handler" program where they can perform these background checks, and clear those of us with a valid need for the product to have it in our possession, and then be held responsible if we are not protecting it correctly and it is stolen? Just curious, really...this seems like kind of a sudden change for all this...?

14. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

If NHRA is serious about this Sportsman racer's committee, they'll listen to the Blown Dragsters about making the "C" Blower legal!:rolleyes:

15. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Here are the websites & info I have been given.
    You have to register to access SCAT
    DHS will send a user name and password, and then you can access the online top screen survey and fill it out. You can do this online so you don’t have to print it out and mail the forms.

Website: http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/programs/gc_1169501486179.shtm

Manual: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/chemsec_csattopscreenusersmanual.pdf

Form: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/chemsec_csattopscreenquestions.pdf