Best Looking TAFC and TAD?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Kingnitro, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Was the car you are talking about the "got milk?" car we last ran in 2000? It was sponsored by the Dairy Farmers of Oregon and ran in Division 6, though we strayed down to Division 7 on occasion.
    My dad and I owned the car and I drove it. Garrett Bateman, runner-up at Sonoma in TAD designed the paint job and I painted it. He also designed the scheme for Gregg Lawrence's dragster which he drove, and he and I painted that, too.
    I've never added pictures to one of my posts, hopefully I did it right.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

So Russ, why did you get out of TAFC?

3. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

Not by choice. We finished #7 in the country in 2000. Unfortunately success does not always mean a renewal with a sponsor. It wasn't that the Dairy Farmers of Oregon were unhappy with us - there were some changes with the organization that led to them suspending all advertising while they re-evaluated their marketing. While they were a great sponsor, along with Centennial Batteries and some other local businesses, our own automotive shop also contributed heavily to our program. Without the dairy gang, I could not keep Centennial Batteries (and they were not ready to step up to what the dairy people had done). Rather than bleed our business (and ultimately my parents retirement) it was time to stop. It also looked (at the time) like something might open up in the fuel world, which never did happen. I'd love to get back into an alcohol funny car - just have to find a way to fund it.

4. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

That's too bad Russ, I remember at Pomona one year. You showed me the rendering for the "Got Milk" car. I think TAFC might be the only blown alky cars left in a year or two. I know of one TAD racer who's buying a TAFC and a couple more who are selling out! NHRA really killed that class!

5. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

NOBODYIKNOW,
    The car your thinking of was the “Say no to drugs car” driven by Dennis Taylor and owned by Ken Head. Correct me if I'm wrong. The car is still around, but not the body. I think Ed Cook painted it, but am not sure??

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i was just thinking of some of the good looking cars i've seen over the years, and one that hasn't already been mentioned was darrell russell's alky diggers in the mid to late 90's. the bright red/yellow/ and white schemes were kick ass. billy bybee's second wind cars were always cool too.

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Sportsman:

You are exactly right. It was Ken Head and Jerry Crawford's car. The same car Jack Beckman is driving now, only with a newer body. It was built by the late great Kenny Mooers.

Russ:

I like milk, too. I'll never forget your dad coming into our pit area with those ice cream bars right out of the freezer. Any chance they may come back?

8. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I always have and always will be a big consumer of dairy products whether they get back into racing or not. We had a tremendous run with them (10 years) and still keep in contact with many of them. While the focus was always on milk I always tried to expand on that. That's why I had the "say cheese" on the top of the windshield where it would normally say Pontiac or Dodge or whatever. Maybe a new angle would get them back in, any ideas?