Beadlock VS Liner Tire

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Dragin'Don, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Dragin'Don

Dragin'Don New Member

Anybody Know the Pros and Cons of running either style of Rim ?

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

liners vs beadlocks

while i can't speak for suspended vehicles, with dragsters and funny cars, the liner tire combo tends to have a wider tuning window than the beadlock. some people can make the beadlock work.

the liner and tube in some instances work as a dampner to control the tire. it doesn't allow the tire to squat as much at the launch and doesn't allow the sidewall to wrinkle as much.

a beadlock hooks harder than the liner tire. it puts a wider footprint down at the launch. however, if you miss the tuneup by much at all, it's shake city. if you don't hit it hard enough at the launch, it will wrinkle to the point the rim will almost hit the track. we have a picture of callaway's dragster at one race with the rim literally about three inches off the track. consequently if this happens, reaction times will suffer. it is also much easier to 'fall off' the tire in that since it bites harder, it will be prone to grab if the tuneup is not aggressive enough. if you don't hit it hard enough early and have the car balanced properly, you'll see a cyclical wave in driveshaft rpm. the tire grabs, hooks, grabs hooks to the point it will finally 'take the tire off' and go into tireshake from spin, but the culprit was not enough wheelspeed early.

the liner tire also has obvious safety benefits in the event of a blowout.

hope this helps.

3. BLOWN INCOME

I Hope You Read Will's Reply ! I Fought At Least A Half Season Trying To Figure My Altered With A 481x And Lencodrive Out, Litterly From Blowing The Tires Off To Shaking The Tin Work Out...borrowed A Set Of Tires(liner) From Snyder At A Points Meet And Went Right Down The Track,went Back To Beadloc's The Next Pass And Can't Get Down The Track...beadloc's Need Wheel Speed And Don't Let The Tire Pressure Throw You Off..take It From 50 Years Of Racing Experience,and Still Learning....

4. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

liners

I am curious as to why they made it mandatory for the prostock cars to use beadlocks. Why could they not benfit from a liner. The blown cars make 2 times the amont of power. Does tire move with a liner(spin on the rim) ? or stay put? Just never run them so dunno.

Sean

5. Dragin'Don

Dragin'Don New Member

Is there a considrable wieght difference ? Which is heaver? thx for the replys

6. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We weighed our car with beadlocks, and with the tube/liner wheels at the same track (Mission, BC), same event, same day and we are 30 pounds lighter with the beadlocks.

As Will said, the beadlocks will grab harder on the line versus the tube & liner type.

Our preference with our TAD and our TAFC is to run the beadlock rims (16x16) with 34.5 M/T slicks. It's all in how you set your car up, we tried switching back and forth and the clutch setup (weight and base) has to be quite different between the two. We found when we swapped to the tube & liner tires we were having tire shake problems. We've only had a handfull of times when we shook the tires with the beadlocks in the past 3 or 4 years, and only a couple that I remember were bad enough to abort the run.

7. BLOWN INCOME

What Kind-a Tire Pressure With The Beadloc's.....

8. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

we have been running 6.5 lbs seam to work ok

9. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Usually we run them at 5.5 psi, have run as high as 6.25, and as low as 5.

10. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

santo....what size tire you run? hoosiers? we run 33.5-17-16 hoosiers with beadlock....usually around 5-6lbs........works good.

11. BLOWN INCOME

17 X 34.5 With A Lencodrive,leaving at 4000 rpm...

12. Dragin'Don

Dragin'Don New Member

Reason im asking you TAFC guys is because not many Door car guys run that combo .Except for one guy and hes seems to have the rest of the door car field coverd maybe hes on to something ? I know he was running bead locks last year but has really stepped up since switching to the convopro linner type you can clearly see in this photo 3.70@205 1/8 good even for TAFC no ?
    http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3970&Itemid=6
    :cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  13. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

Don, good eyes,you should be lookin at the clutch too: I have been wondering if the rear shocks are just for decoration:confused: looks like a TAFC with doors:eek:but I will give the guy credit for his talents.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  14. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

brand vs shake

Any experience with whether Goodyear, Hoosier, or MT's shake more or less with beadlocks or liners?

bob szabo, author of racing manuals; FI Racing Secrets & 5000 HP on Meth
    bob@racecarbook.com

15. eli

eli Banned

Tire shake comes from the clutch going in and out ( grabbing then slipping ). Don't any of you old timers remember driving your old mans car when the clutch wasn't adj. right, And the car would shake your false teeth out of your mouth? It's just more pronounced with a race car and it happens faster. richen up the low speed lean out ( SCREW BLOWER CAR ):D;) P/S As far as rims, Liners are better, 14 in wide x 16 will let the tire grow more on the top end. It will be like an extra gear, and for you guys using a blank jet in the main and using the loop to tune, You go boyz!!! some one i know has been doing that from the 70's. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

photo looks like jason scruggs adrl pro extreme. up to 50% nitro ok, 225 over screw ok, suspension optional, no weight min.,rules did say 15.1 beadlocks...yes he is the one to beat

17. Dragin'Don

Dragin'Don New Member

Is there any special procedure to mount the liners,tires and tubes on the rims or just go to a tire place ?