BBC tuning problems, EGTS are way hot

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alcohol altered, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

we all have probley had the same problems at one time are another i had the mag move one time had the flames coming it look cool but wouldnt run worth a shit the degree wheel ring was moving i liked to never figured that out finally started from scrach after looking at ever thing and taking the motor apart sent the mag off ect. the problem was so simple i thought how could i be so stupid to miss that now after about 15 years of running a funny car the problems are usally simple you just have to find them:eek::D

2. trblmkr

trblmkr New Member

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ASK ANYONE 'WHAT EGT SHOULD I HAVE?' and expect that to somehow help you tune your engine. every motor is different and there are soo damn many variables that affect the reading. tune the thing like it doesn't have a meter... plugs, bearings, oil, pistons, etc THEN and ONLY THEN look at the EGT so you know how all the things relate to the number the meter gives ya. and even then it is just a reference. otherwise you'll get tunnel vision on that damn number. seen guys nip plugs and keep leaning the bitch out 'cause it was only running XXXX degrees'.

This is typically followed by some jack-ass on the team saying 'man it never ran so damn good!!!'.... yeah just before it ate itself alive. This scenario is often repeated multiple times a night at the local circle track

3. alcohol altered

alcohol altered New Member

Thought that I would let you know that the local track let me make one pass before the Pinks show started. After talking to Jim on the phone I turned the high speed backwards, put a 100 pill in the main, richened up the ports from low 30's to mid 40's, ran 78% leak down. This is fatter than the car has ever been.
    I always have shifted my car at 7800-8000 rpm. After launching, the car would not rev over 7000 rpm, so I went ahead and shifted it and ran to the 1/8. I ran a 4.77@ 130 ( I used to always run high 4.40's @ 155). I came back and the car ran Identical numbers to what it did last time out (1.03 60'/ 3.03 330')That makes 4 passes in a row when changing the fuel that my times were identical. I pulled the plugs and no ground straps were melted, only 2 plugs looked what I think is good and the rest were hot. I checked the EGTs and they were actually 20 degrees hotter on almost every cylinder. I did get the cylinder temps to be within about 100 degrees of each other. The car left the line at 850 degrees and crossed the 1/8 at 1130 degrees. Someone mentioned earlier that the cam could be in the wrong place. It cant be cause it hasn't been out of the car since I put it in 3 years ago. I checked my timing wheel, and top dead center on the timing wheel is top dead center with cylinder 1. I did however borrow a fresh Enderle 110 pump from a racer and will see if that does anything.

4. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

hang in there it will come around keep reading the plugs the plugs will let you know what the motor is doing then your egt,s will give you some reference once you get it fattened up and the plugs looking the same then you can get back to using the high speed and leaning the main back down good luck PS REMEMBER AS LONG AS THE RODS ARENT HANGING OUT OF ITS BEEN A GOOD DAY

5. alcohol altered

Put new pump on today and tried it out in the driveway. I changed nothing other than the pump. Car now idles with a very heavy lope. Before new pump it had no lope at idle whatsovever. The throttle is very crisp. I think the gremlin has been found. I will test Wednesday to prove it.

6. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

you sound pumped up now if thats the problem i believe i would be calling the guy that flowed your other pump ask him whats the deal good luck

7. eli

eli Banned

Well, Well, Well, you knew the answer all a long, you were just messing with us dummy's, (see my signature ) Hope you make it to the alt natl's, kick ass! :D:D:rolleyes:;)

8. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

you know its hard to find are figure some thing out when you rely on some one to tell you something is ok being you cant check a fuel pump your self and if they tell you its in good shape if a pump is off just a little it makes a lot of difference i still think your nozzels were to small i hope the new pump saves the day if i can help give me a call some times everyone just needs a little help even my self and im glad i have a friend to bounce somethings off of are just ask him for a direction to go in none of us started at the top your deal looks impressive on the web site i might have to put the altered body back on my car and look you up and do dome match racing melody and i booked nine funny car match races 2 and 4 car shows we might try booking 2 blown altereds and put on a show we get 1400.00 each for 3 passes

9. alcohol altered

Thanks guys for all your input on the subject and to you to Jim for your help on the phone and willingness for me to bug you. I would love to do some match racing! Call me anytime. As for the flow bench deal I am not sure exactly what the difference is from the bench to the car but obviously there is something. This is the second time I have had a pump flowed and it checked good and when put on the car continually gets worse. The only difference was the other car was not blown. I let you know what the car runs Wednesday.
    Adam
    alteredracing.com

10. 560Jim

560Jim Member

Pump

You mentioned that the pump flowed 12.2 GPM@ 123psi. What prompted the 123 psi check? Is that a known standard?

11. alcohol altered

That was at 4000 pump rpm

12. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

Your Welcome Any Time Let Me Know How It Does If I Can Help Are You Just Want Dicuss Tune Ups You Have The Numbers You Have The Stuff To Run Low Fours Teens For Sure Let The Plugs Tell You What The Motor Likes You Will Be Fine A Happy Motor Is A Good Motor And It Doesnt Eat Parts

13. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

That sounds like great news Adam,,,now that your car will haul A**, stay away from me in the lanes!! I want to go some rounds! ;):D

Seriously good luck and you had some great guys jumping in here to help you out,,pretty neat deal. :cool:

Rapid

14. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

Sounds like you found it. There is nothing good about a bad pump. I had bad one (110) in my first BB/FC and it fell on it butt at 600 ft (if I had a tight blower and or port nozzles it would have been way sooner). However, I've had a car sould like a world beater at home and still suck at the track (I hope you don't experience this).