Batten B4 DOHC 4-Valve Big Block (Max-12) V8 V12 Arias

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by TOL, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TOL

TOL Active Member

I am looking to talk to anyone who has experience with, or owns, or knows of people who own, this sort of oddball engine.

The Batten is/was a DOHC engine which was once produced as a conversion for the Chev/Arias shortblock (BBC).

Am looking for old literature, pictures, engines & parts, and especially stories related.

The Batten B4 (and Max-12) came & went shortly before the advent of the internet. Documentation is sparse, yet this engine did run in a variety of venues from 1987 through to 1999. The venues in which it did run briefly included pulling tractors & drag race & boats & land speed & planes, etc.

If any of this rings a bell with you, I sure would appreciate either an e-mail or a phone call. E-mail is whome@look.ca. Phone is 905-263-4599. Secondary phone is 905-644-1948.

Thanks.

2. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Call Tim Grose, the old fuel funny car guy. He's not old---just ran some time ago. He's at 123 Crane Street Fennville, Michigan 49408. He was in town here not too long ago dynoing a Batten set up on gas and alky. His cell phone is 616 403 5113. Nice guy. Been working with Battens for some time. They can be a nightmare. Never did well drag racing, (acceleration to 9500 is not good) but once up to speed, they really go. You might also want to call the guys at Skater Boats in Saugatuk, Michigan (they produce the worlds fastest offshore 38' and is it a piece!). I believe some one from Nevada put a Batten in a Skater 23' for Lake Havasu fun by the reconstructed London Bridge.

3. poolman

poolman Member

Try calling Pat Donovan Racing 540-829-8396

4. Joseph Satterfield

Is this the engine that was on the TLC dragracing special about 5-10 years ago?

5. TOL

TOL Active Member

Yes, similar.....

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

Thanks for the leads bobbyblue359. Spoke with Tim. His work has all been with the Schubeck DOHC (aka the Eagle), which is another equally interesting DOHC BB engine design from the 90's.

7. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Tell us a little about these types of motors.
    I spoke with Shubeck several/many?? years ago and he was wanting to sell one for pulling, but they are not legal. Who used them for what?
    Did Arias build a V12, was it based on the Allison or Rolls Royce?