Base Line Tune UP

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by secondwindracing, Feb 28, 2006.

1. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

This might sound dumb but I was lost for words.. when we got our bae motor it came with tune up papers from the last owner. A friend of ours ask me to help him on getting a base line tune up for his car!!! what would be the best route to take????HELP!!!!

2. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Tune Up

What Combo Is Your Buddy Running

3. secondwindracing

526 14-71 hyhelix 2 speed power glide 410 or 430 gears. the bore is 4.310 4.500 crank with a bird and ports with a 1100 pump

4. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Although I won't be able to provide you a base line tune up. You are going to have to provide a lot more info for others that can. Car type, weight, trans gear ratios, converter specs, cam specs, comp ratio, rear gear ratios, blower over drive, cyl. head specs, ect!!!!!

Bob

5. eli

eli Banned

The way I read this, your friend?:eek: wants you to give him the tuneup you just got with the motor you just bought???,:( tell him an alky freelance crew chief gets, $ 1,000 to $2,000 per race,:cool: or he can send his fuel system to Randy Anderson, Jim Oddy, and get it flowed and a tune up will come with it, as every system is differant.( if you want to stay friends be diplomatic) Never give away for free what you just payed for.:rolleyes:

6. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Tune Up

Depends On How Good A Friend He Is I Guess! Myself I'd Help Him, As Long As I Felt He'd Do The Same If The Tables Were Turned.

7. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I don't mean to say or post anything to hurt anyone's feelings, step on any toes or whatever. If I do I apologize.
    We all have to learn some way, some shape, some how or some form.
    No body just wakes up one day and knows how to tune a nitro car, alky car etc!!
    All of the current crew chiefs, tuners and consultants learned what they know or the basics from someone else and the person who taught them learned from someone else and so forth and so on.
    And some learn the hard way like myself by screwing things up and trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to figure out how to fix it. And I am by no means a Randy Anderson or Austin Coil caliber person.
    And when you really get out in left field you ask for help!

By the way I think nick names are great, I have lots of them and most I can't post. If you want to use a nick name thats great, but post your full name at the end of your message or reply that way people on this and other message boards can get to know each other.
    If you don't want anyone to know who you are then don't post anything.

Sorry everyone It's been a real bad day and I was ready to vent.
    Please forgive me if I offened anyone.

Bob Kraemer

8. Leon

Leon New Member

You are correct Bob. What is also needed is nozzle sizes he has now and pump flow and sizer jet and pressure and current overdrive on blower with pulley #s.Static comp,what ign?,and is free coffee provided?

9. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Tune ups aren't like cake mixes. You cant just open the box, throw in a couple of eggs and mix and bake. They are a highly specialized menu designed for each and every different car. I paid a bunch of money for my first one years ago and will do it again pretty soon. Many of the freelance crew chiefs will set stuff up- once again for a fee but you can't expect them to give away the farm for free. Don't sweat the venting thing Bob, we all have days like that.

10. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

I guess the point I was trying to make before I got out in "Left Field" is that if someone wants to help out a friend that's great. I'll help out anyone anyway I can. Hell I'll give you the shirt off my back if you need it more than I do.
    But the best thing to do is send the fuel system out to be set up by a pro. That way it can be set up to meet the unique needs of the race car it is to go in because no 2 cars are the same. They will also be able to offer advise on timing, tuning, gear ratios etc! and what to do and not do.

Sorry guys
    Bob Kraemer

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  11. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

Bob, The part of your post when you talk about " nick names " is great , i will take note of that in my future post
    Claude Beaulieu

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Bob:

I think your advice is good. Just how good will the friendship be when bogus advice does about $40,000 worth of damage on the first run.

RG

13. Leon

Leon New Member

Their are certain things that no matter what go with certain combos, A little rich and a slower blower along with short squirts and checking everything is always advisable no matter who set it up as similar as engines dont mean they are the same.Unless you have all the current flow sheets and fully understand what is going on with each component,you are at best p...ing in a cross wind.

14. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Randy G.
    Your 100% right, I guess I never really looked at it that way. An oops could cost a friendship and that's never a good thing. Friends are to valuable to have.

Take Care Everyone
    Bob Kraemer

15. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Someone selling advice will ask you to check your compression ratio and recommend a good starting point. CC/ML burettes can be found cheap here:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=burette&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

They will also recommend a camshaft. The fuel system will be flowed, you'll get the sheets and there will be no doubts. Instead of making 50 "safe" runs to sort it out, the right help will get you there in no time. Get a Davenport "Jetsize" program and start learning it. The advice should include setting Jetsize up for you, too. Otherwise, be prepared to "P" in the wind for many years.

16. secondwindracing

everyone has a good point..all this guy is going to do is take his car out on test and tunes not at a national event!!!! sure you could call tom conway but I hate to waist a mans time, tom only lives 70 miles away but all as my friend want to do is get down the track without killing the motor. I told him to call enderle ask for jim, he will get you in the ball park over the phone. What do you guys think? I'am like bob I will give you the shirt off my back some times the shirt is returned and sometimes not....Again all of you guys are GREAT we all live in a small word of (drag racers). thanks Dave Lowe

17. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Fuel

Call Enderle.. They'll Get You Close.
    Sent All My Stuff To A "professional" About 8 Yrs Ago.not Mentioning Any Names, But 3k Later,new Pieces, It Slowed Down About 2 Tenths! Went Back Closer To My Tuneup-picked Back Up!

18. Silverhawk

Silverhawk New Member

Tune Up

Hi, lots of great information here, I have been tuning alcohol cars for 10 years and my advice is very simple. Have your fuel system flowed by someone like Les Davenport or Rob Atchinson, you will recieve a baseline tune up which is a great place to start because it is always safe. Davenport has a program called Jetsize into which you enter data like altitude, humidity, temp, etc. The program will make all the calculations, you can fine tune from there. The money you spend on this will save you so much time and headaches. As I said the starting point is pretty safe and you can creep up on you tune up. You also have to remember, you have to get that horsepower to the rear wheels, so the tune up is only one small part of the big picture. Don't know if this helps, but I hope it does. Good luck and keep her straight.

Fraser R Dalziel
    Crew Chief
    Road Hammer Racing
    dtdude@shaw.ca

19. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

How close is your engine to your friends.If your fuel pumps are the same gallonage and good,you could use the same nozzles and jets as yours and be fairly close. Might want to neck the main down .015-.020 to be safe. Even a paid expert tuner is going to start with a richer baseline just to be safe.The main thing is , if you dont know what the pump is putting out,send it to someone that can find out.Aren't you in Rob Wendland's neck of the woods, cause he is one of the best.