Base line tune up for hemi

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BlownAlkyMopar, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BlownAlkyMopar

Hey guys i need some input on nozzle sizes for a new car & engine combo.
    combo as follows:
    2000Lb 125" altered.
    34.5x17x16 slicks
    1.90:1 1st gear Powerglide with trans brake.
    4.30:1 gear ratio
    511 ci kb 4.375 X 4.31 bore 11.25:1 compression.
    mild .740" lift@valve cam
    Dart/Total flow cast water heads with 16 bolt magnesium manifold.
    Kuhl 14-71 hi helix @ 35% overdrive.
    Bird with square methanol valve. 8 hat & 8 port nozzles.
    NO HIGH SPEED LEAN OUT.
    enderle plain 110 pump.
    MSD 10 plus ignition.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

mike this is just my opion but send your pump to someone and have them flow and do your tune up they will give you the nozzle aera pilll sizes high speed size without it your just guessing and wasting your and wearing out parts tring to figure it out i know there is several great guys out there that do it fowler , gore , enderly , among others but i have jimmy rector do mine i know him personally because we have raced together alot years ago and he has not been wrong yet with mine it was bad ass right from the start good luck

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

1/4 mile car? if so and you want it to mph the 4.30 gear will hurt it 3.90 to a 4.10

4. BLOWN INCOME

I agree wiyh jim ! It's money well spent..everyones car is different...it will save you money and headaches..
    Santo

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I 3rd what Jim said. Professionals with fuel systems are the only way to go, and along with the baseline setup, they also give you a great idea on how the tune-up will change with weather conditions and for different power levels. Even after getting it flowed, I would also recommend getting the Davenport Jetsize program. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT!!!

6. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Fuel System .BAE

My suggestion is to leave the set up of the car as it is , A 3.90/4.10 gear will slow the car down ,slow the pump curve ,slow blower curve ( especially @ 35 %) .
    I also would suggest the pump to be flowed with a reliable surface area for that pump . ( I reccomend changing to a Waterman or Rage when you can afford that/ more reliable,stronger )
    I have a reliable Tune up for that combination but I would never sell it without flowing the pump / poppets and timers in place as intended.

Take your time this is the time to spend your $$$ wisely.

Les Mellows.

7. GregM784

GregM784 Member

When i started on my combo, i did NOT have it flowed. It took 10-15 passes to get the numbers close. I figured it was cheaper to do that than have it flowed. Let's think about that. 4 gallons a pass, 4 sets of plugs, car wear & tear, tires, tech cards....guess what. I should have sent my stuff to www.spud.com!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have saved money, helped a fellow racer out, and had great baseline numbers to fall back to!

Don't see it as an expense, see it as an investment (that saves you money in the long run).

8. Dragsterbus

Dragsterbus Member

Thats what i've just done , a really helpfull enthusiactic guy to deal with :D

9. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Money

One thing I have figured out over the years- a blown alcohol motor will hurt itself if things aren't done right. Sometimes catastrophically. Rods kicked out, windows in the block, broken cranks- all manner of wallet draining ailments. So unless you have tons of money most of us really can't afford to break stuff while we try to learn how to tune a blown alcohol motor. You would be so much money ahead to send the fuel system to somebody and buy an initial tune-up. There are lots of guys that do this- Les Davenport, Randy Anderson, Spud Miller are some that I know of and I am sure there are lots more. Call them up, talk to them, pay attention to how receptive they will be in helping you over the phone after they do your fuel system. There will be things coming up after you get the tune-up. Dave Germain