Barrel Valve Fuel Screen

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mike Canter, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I know we have discussed this before but I can't find the post. Who is it that makes a small screen filter that attaches to the fuel inlet to the barrel valve. I believe it is a cone. I know about the larger System One canister filters

2. Marty Palbykin

Marty Palbykin New Member

Mike, I got mine from RBS it works great. I clean it every round simple and easy to deal with.

Marty

3. 3-D

3-D Member

i have one in my fuel system. I am going to the larger screen type. if you get some trash in that, it can really hurt fuel flow fast. go mine at RBS

4. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

SAE filter

Mike;
    mfg.'d by Specialty Automotive Eng. (SAE-Barry Little)
    714-972-8006

also sold by RBS and Wizard.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thanks guys

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

One more question...does the screen alter the flow any?

7. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Mike,

We tested this and saw a 3% difference when leaking the barrel valve down.

Also while they do work great and we used it for a season, I don't like the fact that when you get (if you get) any grime in there it definetly hurts the flow.

All you can do is clean every round and filter fuel. We now run a System1 and can't fault it.

8. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

Relentess, Sorry to tell you this but I would suggest you clean your screen before doing a comparison because I think you will find that it is a well documented fact that the screen will NOT change the leak figure nor will it change the flow, you will see an increase in pressure on a flow bench but this is all.

Doug

9. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Doug,

Yeah that was clean, we also checked it a few times and it did make a difference. This was all before an event so all was spotless.

You say it also ups the pressure? By how much?

10. pete9857

pete9857 Member

screen

Mike, been using one for years, got it from Jeff Fowler.
    Glenn

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thanks, I fellow racer in the Atlanta area had one he was not using and is sending it to me.

12. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Hate to tell you this but if the pressure increases by adding this then you decreased the flow, if all else stayed the same.
    Cant change physics

13. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

We're ordering some today.
    Gonna put them inbetween the -8 check valve of the port distribution block and the hose. I'm just trying to catch junk as close to the end of the line as possible.

Any comments about what I'm doing? Good, bad or ???

I'm assuming they can stick into the check valve, or are they too long for that?

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I think you will find it too long. But try and see if it bottoms out or take the chaecl valve apart and look inside and see how far in it goes.

15. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

SoDak,
    I have to ask. Why do you have "junk" in your system?
    Are you not cleaning and pickling the system after the race?

Dave Koehler
    http://www.koehlerinjection.com

16. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Dave

Junk is a stronger term than I needed to use.
    We've run for years and years without filters and near zero problems.

I took a shutoff valve apart and cut the o-ring when I put it together. I tore the system apart looking for any o-ring pieces and found nothing, now I have what appears to be a slice of o-ring in a nozzle.

Mike

If the screen interferes with the check, I should be able to put it in the other end of that hose.

17. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

John,

You are absolutely correct! It is called Bernouli's Law. (sp?)
    If the pressure increases, the velocity decreases. If the velocity increases, the pressure decreases. It is a law of physics and it will not change regardless of the circumstances.;)

18. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

SAE Fuel in line filter

I have used the SAE inline fuel filter in the #10 barrel valve inline fitting for many years. On an a-fuel car this fitting is removed to blow the engine down after every run and the filter is inspected every run. Only a few times have we ever had any trash in it. We filter the fuel when filling the tank so there is no trash going into the system but we have found rubber from a fuel line a few times. The out put of the fuel pump is always equal to the flow sheets.
    Since we run a main jet and pump larger than needed if there was a 2-3% decrease can't see as it would be a deal breaker because we can always get more output than the motor can handle. Stop a nozzle up and see what that costs.
    Hey Bob M. you ever think about the old man Frank Huzzar? I do every once in a while.

19. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

SAE filter

On three different flow benches I've had access to, you will NOT find any change with anything, including pressure.
    One thing to remember is that no matter how well you filter your fuel, going in, you still have a vent system that becomes a vacuum cleaner that does a great job of sucking dirt, leaves, ect. out of the air or off the ground!
    He also makes a screen for oil that can be used at the out fitting on the pan, that can keep your oil pump healthier.

Long before, flow meters on the car, these were a great help with learning that the brass liner in your old pump was killing itself, 'cause the filter would catch them.

Bob H.; me too. I saw a little of his and your history in Phil's "H"'s today at NHRA.com.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Bob,
    My email address is bobholley33@yahoo.com. If you have time email me your phone number.
    Thanks
    Bob Holley