Ball Hone Abrasive and Grit

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Brad Hiatt, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Brad Hiatt

Brad Hiatt Member

I have a very small amount of rust in a cylinder sleeve on my KB.

Was going to buy a ball hone to dress the cylinder wall up.

Can you help me out with an abrasive type and grit?

Brad Hiatt

2. craig moss

craig moss Member

Wipe it out with liquid wrench and finish it off with oil if it is a small amount of rust works great on surface rust

3. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

I went to an auto paint supply shop and bought some 3m scotch pads, the brown one I found worked best, with some kerosine polished them up absolutely mint, wiped in with some inox also, I find this is better than wd40, for you guys inox is made in australia so not sure in you have it in the US.

4. MKR-588

MKR-588 Member

OwnBlock, what makes that inox better & what does it do differently. Are the contents much different?

5. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Hone

I have a ball hone, have no idea of grit, it is old. But with a 1/2 drill with WD40 on reverse rotation does a excellent job. Wipe it with break clean and wipe it with oil until the shop towels wipe clean. I have never had a bad leak down or cyl. pressure . You just have to figure out the speed for the cross hatch pattern. Not that hard. What would you do if you only have to fix one or two cylinders? Good luck Don

6. Brad Hiatt

Brad Hiatt Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am off to try a borrowed ball hone from a fellow ITA member.