Balance counter weight on finger

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dcwinters, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Chas116

Chas116 Top Alcohol

Clutch

Wow this is good stuff, what one word ( aggressive ) will start.
    Ok Mike, no apologize needed it was my fault for using that word in my statement.
    I have spent many hours, years, painstakingly trying to study and analyzing the two parts of Dynamic's of a clutch. One is with the Kinematics, which is the geometry of motion and its relation to displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time with out reference to the cause of motion. Two, is Kinetics, which is the study of the relationship existing between the forces acting on a body, the mass of the body, and motion of that body. Kinetics is used to predict the motion caused by given forces or to determine the forces required to produce a given motion.
    I use SOLDWORKS engineering software on the computer to study this, I built a complete part by part, in complete detail 10.7 inch clutch to run simulations to check theory on what happens inside that can on a run, what I have found is true, the curve of the levers stays the same on the curve and only the applied pressure changes depending on the weight I put on that lever, I then began to change levers with different profiles to change the curve and found levers to react to the rpm's as predicted in theory.

I know it is a sickness, I kind of sleep with the clutch. I can say that because all of this stuff is in my bed room the Clutch is on my night stand with my alarm clock. I know its nuts. :eek:

I'm in the process of trying to design and build a Clutch dyno just to test the hat, pressure plate, levers, and springs. :rolleyes:

Justin if you could help me out on some questions I have and I'm stumped on with this dyno I would appreciate it greatly :D

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

Wow! Maybe it is magical. :p

3. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

We have FEA, Soildworks, Cosmos and all that jazz that our engineers use. You are right about the lever curve. Data will give you a base polynomial and then as you add weight your coefficients change. The nice thing about the dyno is having multiple scenarios and data sets to give you the most accurate results.

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

4. Creech

Creech Member

This is great.
    Ive been reading Insidetopalcohol for, I think about 2 years and I learned as much in in the last 2 on years than 10 in the dirt, clutch dust and engine oil. Every time I put something in I get more back. It still has to be applied, but its allot better than learning from my mistakes.:):):):)

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Simulated Result

So I had one of the engineers run an FEA (Finite Element Analysis) on the pressure ring and cover of our all titanium 9.5" and the results were interesting. I don't have access to post pics to our website, or I'd have a picture attached here.

Kind of like I was thinking before about lever load discrepencies, FEA showed the pressure ring warping :eek: in the three heavy spots, leaving the other three pressure points warped upwards ever so slightly. Average force exerted by the pressure ring was actually slightly less, but not enough to boggle the mind.

I'm still wanting to try it on the dyno to see the profile of the plate load application vs. RPM. But the computers tell us it is plausible, but you may screw up a really expensive piece of clutch by doing it often with a 6-8gram weight stagger.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

interesting

how much difference in finger weight? so more weight staggered theoretically can cause LESS plate load with more weight due to uneven distribution.

here's one to run on the FEA. at what stagger point does the above effect happen? take the old standard crower book tune up, 3 turns 30 grams, start staggering it around until the plate load actually drops...

so what about the guys out there that run no weight bolted to 4 fingers, then 4 grams on 2, resulting in 8 grams total?

7. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Will, it really only started with 6 gram stagger on our clutch and the effects started with about 7,000RPM's worth of lever force. I think it would be safe to say that the crower would be fine with 4 gram stagger, as their levers aren't as aggressive as ours.

8. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

I have an AFT clutch and i have played with C/W stagger before. also though about staggering the lever height or angles that would let each lever ''come in'' at a different rate but still have the c/w the same on each lever.it's a simple adjustment on an AFT but could be a pain on the others