B&J Shift Buttons

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by nxs7280, Oct 8, 2007.

1. nxs7280

nxs7280 New Member

I'm running a B&J 3 spd in an alcohol FC. The shift buttons, across time, get progressively harder to push to the point that at times, I steer the car while trying to shift. I've had the shifter module rebuilt by B&J but over time (2-3 months), they continue to get harder to push again. I would like to go to a toggle set up for shifting, but B&J's operate at ~375psi and I'm not having any luck finding the switches and/or plastic/teflon tubing rated for 400psi.

Anyone know of another shifter set up or where I can find the components to to use tubing and one-touch fittings like used on the Lenco's but capable of 400 psi? Anyone else with a B&J experience the same problem...any solution?

Frank

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The one I have is no spring chicken. I occasionally spray WD-40 into the air feed line that supplies the assembly. Keeps the O-rings lubed up. I would assume you using CO2 supplied by a commercial gas supplier to feed it?

3. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I had some problems with the B&J valve and ended up going to the local seal and bearing supply house and buying some buna o-rings with a harder rubber.(I think a 90 durameter number) solved the problem.:)

4. nxs7280

nxs7280 New Member

Thanks Randy. Yes, I use a welding supply shop to fill my bottle. I'll give the WD 40 a shot...inexpensive solutions that work are always appreciated by an unfunded racer.

Thanks,
    Frank

5. nxs7280

nxs7280 New Member

Thanks Dale, I'll give wd 40 a try and also go to a different ring as you recommend.

Thanks for the reply.

Frank