autostart rule modification

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Blown Chances, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

I watched the coverage from norwalk last weekend and saw the "drama" between kosky and c. Force. My question is does anyone really need 8 seconds to stage? I would think 5 should be more than enough for every category.

Just a thought for discussion.

Flash

2. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I haven't seen the coverage, so I'm definitely not taking side (don't even know who staged first), but I've been on the wrong side of an 8 second burn down before, and it's waaay too long. I also think 5 seconds would be good.

3. eli

eli Banned

That has to be another issue with the two different type cars one idling into the lites and the other winding the shit out of there motor. What happened to the 7 second rule? i doubt if it was Mike taking his time to stage.:p

4. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Oops, I guess I meant 7. I found this which explains why I was thinking 8 seconds.

"The auto-start system limits the time to seven seconds that a driver can stage once their opponent has lit both pre-stage and stage beams. The lower end of the spectrum could extend the long suffering driver’s wait to 8.3 seconds before the green light."

Thats still a long time IMHO.

Flash

5. blownracer/a-fuel

You live by the sword you die by the sword. Kosky plays his own games from starting the car to staging. I haven't seen that pass either so I don't know the whole story. If you didn't get to see what happened from the time they started the cars you have no idea what the cause of the slow roll to the stage light was. We haven't ever had a problem with her staging the car and have raced her several times.

6. pennance

pennance Member

We a couple of years ago had an issue like that when Ashley was in the car. After the pass JF personally came over and apoligized for the issue. Jf and JD so not tolerate or encourage game playing up there. Im positive there was another issue up there we dont know about.

7. Vernon Wilde

Vernon Wilde Member

We've raced Jerry for years and never had any kind of a problem, I'm certain with Kosky's experience that he has been exposed to all kinds of situations, I find it hard to believe that he did not take into consideration the possibility of a first year driver with not near the experience level that something might take place. We always consider the person in the other lane and what their experience level is. That being said the first time is an accident, there won't be a second time.

8. $candal

$candal New Member

Courtney did not burn Kosky down...at all. She took 5 seconds to stage..max. I was honestly suprised to see Mike stage first with a blown car! He should not have blown up on her like he did. And made her cry. Very "sportsmanlike".

9. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Didnt they apologise and make up? What's the purpose of this thread again?

One shopping spree at the galleria with daddy's credit cards will make it all better.

10. Speedude

Speedude Speed Demon

Allowing throttle controlers would fix this...

11. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I raced Mike one time in Bristol, div.2, 03 race. My Crew cheif warned me saying Mike can be a tricky sometimes and no telling what he going to do at the line, so be ready Green Pea.

We get to the line, fire the cars up, it seemed as soon as Mikes starter was off his car he was rolling through the burn-out box, he does his back-up real fast :eek:. Mike Cooper and Denny Savage were keeping their cool doing the normal thing.

By the time I do my burn out and back up real fast. I see Mike rolling forward towards Pre-stage( I getting pretty shaken up by this whole Mike moving real fast thing) As soon as I get backed up for Mike and Denny to prep me for pre-stage, Mike pulls into the pre-stage bulb!!!! I about go into panic mode!!, I try to start moving forward:confused: not waiting for Denny to wave me forward into the
    pre-stage bulb, like we always do, Denny firmly puts his hand up to stop( Mike Cooper not done with his thing yet) finally Denny waves me forward and puts me were he always does just shy of the pre-stage bulb. I am really shaken up, but I think I am ready. Mike see's me coming in and is reving his motor already. As soon I lite the pre-stage bulb, Mike lites the Stage bulb, :eek: Panic!!!I am about ready to screw it all up, I am so nervous!!!, I think Mikes tactics are working and he is going beat me. I quickly find my rpm mark and lite the stage bulb. Out we go, I think he may have got the jump on me! But my car flat out runs him anyway.

At the end of the track as we get stopped and are getting out of our Dragsters, Mike is screaming at me about playing games with him on the line and how he should kick my ass or something. I just about busted a gut laughing so hard at him. I let him know that he was the game player. I laughed real hard some more.

Oh the memories :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  12. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

The guy sounds like a tit.

13. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

I have raced Mike alot over the years. His routine was always the same. He doesn't dick around, just does what he needs to do then pre-stages.
    He told me he was mad because he was up on RPM for 11 seconds against Courtney. Supposedely his stage light was lit for 8 seconds of that. He ask Rick Stewart later and Rick said the Autostart "was supposed to be on" but asked repeatedly wouldn't say that it was turned on during that pass. All he would say was that Mike seemed to be in a long time before Courtney. Courtney's dad evidently felt it was a long time also, since he came to the turn off and apologized to Mike. Mike then apologized to Courtney for hollering at her. He was told that Courtney was held back from staging, and was only doing as instructed. I have had no problems racing any of the Force ladies. As long as they're treated the same as the rest of us, I'm glad they're in the class.
    I would like to see our class do the same thing as the Top Fuel classes do. Everybody time there own car from starting the engine to staging. Then you share that time(adjusted for your warm up needs that pass) with the other crew chief before you run. If I need 75 seconds and you need 85 seconds, I will start 10 seconds after you. It would take most of the guess work out. Problems could still arise, but not as often.

Have a great day all,
    Marty

14. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Could it be that Autostart doesn't apply to some drivers/teams?

15. Bob Perkins

Bob Perkins New Member

sounds like what

:eek:I dont know MR KOSKY but anyone that has done this for as
    long as he has ,WELL WHAT DOSE A TIT SOUND LIKE?PLEASE I JUST
    NEED TO KNOW,then we can return to bashing a guy that should get
    a metal,6,ooo rpms 11 seconds on the wood?I always herd money tearing out of
    my wallet ,purse,whatever .THE ET SLIP SHOULD SAY AUTO START ON
    WHAT DID IT SAY MR KOSKY? BOB

16. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

No need for this is there? This is meant to be a sport. Ok so over there your racing for money but if someone did it to me I'd knock em over there car.

17. PROCOMP1

PROCOMP1 New Member

I was told this weekend by a pretty good source it was 7 seconds for pro's and 10 seconds for sportsman. Can anyone else confirm this?

18. Chsbldr

Chsbldr Member

I have been told that the tree is not activated untill both pre stage lights are lit... Nomally it is set before that point. So lets say the starter goes into brain fade for a second or two then does not activate it till after one car goes in! That also adds in the fun. So with that in mind it could be 2 seconds and still not help. That could be the reason he did not get a answer if the auto start was on or not, and the length of time he did sit there.

At our track here the compulink is set up for the tree to be activated before any pre stage light is lit. If one is lit then the starter activates the system the ET Slip will say Starter late. Has anyone had that on their time slips??

19. griselmotorsports

griselmotorsports New Member

If kosky would tell the truth he would be saying that the first eight seconds of his 11 seconds with the rpm's up were before he lit the stage light. Courtney was in and gone in 3 seconds. No One Gave Her any instructions other than to beware of any tricks kosky has been known to play. And when Has there been a rule against an a/fuel car staging last? To prevent any problems with a blown car screwing with her on the starting line. He was just outsmarted and outdrove by a 21 year old girl.. and he didnt like that too much:D The Autostart was on and is the same 7 seconds for all classes. Maybe koskys reputation has preceded him as you can see by john haley's article.

20. blownracer/a-fuel

For everyone that thinks Mike does the same thing every pass you are sadly mistaken. He does and will always play games and then cry about it when it doesn't work the way they intend. They have a game plan from the minute he gets in the car. If you say something to him he crys I was only doing what they told me. Spoken from first hand experience.