API Big Brute

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Jezman, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Jezman

Jezman Member

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with an API Big Brute? Looking for information good or negative. Not trying to bash this tranny just trying to find out if it would work for temporary solution to not being able to get a converter drive for current car.

I don't want to use a P/G!

This would go into a blown T/D approx 1800HP.

2. wheelie

wheelie Member

I know someone that used one. Send me a PM with any questions and I'll ask him.

Thanks

3. Eric Vollmer

Eric Vollmer Member

We used one in a blown altered with not much success. The concept of the transmission sounds great, but we just had no luck with this tranny. Shipping it back to big brute became rather costly and it just seemed that the tranny couldn't take the power. The motor was a 572 chevy with dart pro 1 heads. My advice would to be buy a good powerglide or just spend the extra money and invest in a lencodrive. In the long run you will be glad you did!

4. Jezman

Jezman Member

How long ago? and what model trans?

5. Eric Vollmer

Eric Vollmer Member

It was about 4 or 5 yrs. ago. We started off with the big brute two speed with a lock up torque converter, then converted it over to a converter drive unit and ran a lenco 3 speed behind it. The transmission never seemed to be able to hold any kind of power without smoking the trans and having to send it back to be repaired. Also, we found the trans-brake to not hold the car very well at all on the starting line. If we tried to leave any higher than 2500 rpm the car would walk the beams. The concept and idea behind the transmission is great, it just didn't work as well as advertised. If your making over 1100 hp I would say your money would be better spent on a different transmission. Just my 2 cents and experience with it.

6. jonimus333

jonimus333 New Member

trans

What is the problem with a powerglide? Just asking Don

7. cd3d

cd3d New Member

glide & brute

sir, if you don't have to run a powerglide, DON'T.....
    they keep making better parts for them but all are fragile if abused.
    if you pedal it or drive through shake it won't last.
    the best and most cost effective converter set up is a lencodrive, (and if you drive through shake or reverse too fast.....guess what!)
    converters do yield good reaction times but the clutch $ lenco is the alltime champ of strength! chuck

8. Jezman

Jezman Member

This engine has the capability of making 2400hp. I don't know of any powerglide that will handle this type of abuse. When the car gets dialed in there is going to be alot of torque being pushed through the tranny. Looking for dependability minimal maintenance and somrthing we can afford and still go racing.
    BUDGET is a large problem now. So trying to do everything with all that in mind.

9. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Call Torque Convertor Services in Columbia S.C. ask for Camerron. 843-754-8139 He builds some of the best glides and convertors in the industry and is good on his prices. Several of his customers run an outlaw promod class that requires glides and they all run 4.00 in the 1/8. One 53 vette has been 3.90's in the 1/8 at over 2600lbs with a Fontana Hemi and a superman. I think his trannies have been very reliable, he use'es the best parts sourced from diff. manufactures. Also try Harry Trans in N.C. 336-674-5406, ask for Dave. He and several other cars have been 3.90 - 4.00 in the 1/8 in dragsters, no problems. I run one from each and have been 3.90 - 4.00 with each with little problems in a 2025 lb dragster with a chevy motor. Do yourself a favor and call Dave or Camerron before you spend 8 to 10 thousand dollars on a bruno or lenco or name brand powerglide, both of these guys race what they sell and are honest to a fault.:)

10. Chuck Anderika

Been there, done that. Everyone who runs a glide has 2, So you can buy 2 glides and keep fixing them or buy 1 lencodrive ( price will be about the same). We made 40 passes with the Lencodrive, all in the 5's with 0 breakage in 2008. Do yourself a favor and call Larry Snyder or Lenco and get yourself a unit that won't break.

11. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I should have said that I have to run a glide due to the fact that spitzer talked me into building the chassis so that only a short glide would fit. I can't run a lenco even if I wanted to. I did have some breakage but it was always the clutches or the band. After we figured it out (Dave and Cammeron) I had no problems since. Turns out that with a regular valve body the fluid was climbing the back of the trans and uncovering the pickup. A hipster alum valve body with the pickup at the rear seems to have fixed the problem.

12. John byob

John byob Member

Did u find ur answer? Or any more infr on them thx