anyone here race in the old Pro Comp?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Bobby Bennett, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Old stuff

First dragster I drove was a 210 inch RED with FED dragster (I think a Garlits) 392 and a 417 Donaven 354 Steel heads. The 392 was the old style HHH block with 300 type rockers. The trans was a BJ 2 speed with a hand pump for the aqumalator. It was owned by a guy in Hagerstown MD by the name of Lenny Knots. Went to one race at MIR went a 7.47 It mast have been 1979.

I also had a FED that I bracket raced and owned that was Dale Halls Last FED to win with SBC

2. Scott @ Fragola

Scott @ Fragola New Member

Funnycarbob,
    check your private e-mail, or call me at 203-689-4010
    Scott Hall
    Now known as "Scott @ Moroso" again...............:D

3. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

New England Dragway Pro-Comp

I dont think I would take any bet's on pro comp at new england dragway being lost at this time. There are quite a few people that are getting together to work out the details of keeping and making this series bigger.
    It is going to take getting additional sponsorship and some give and take by the racers. head's up racing is what people want to see, at least that is what i like to watch, i can't figure out the other racing,that go fast for 100 feet slow down, go fast for another 1170 feet and then 50 feet before that flashbulb slam on the brakes.. I really can not understand it. Why would you want to slow down in a drag race? confused:confused:

4. Frankie

Frankie Jr. Dragster

Hey gang,

I think you all kinda lost the point of Bobby's original post. He was simply asking if anybody here raced in the Pro Comp days and if so to contact him. If you want to reminisce about the good days of Pro Comp or talk about reforming a new Pro Comp class, form a new thread, dont hijack this one

5. Bobby Bennett

Bobby Bennett New Member

Thank you so much

Wow ... thank you so much for everyone who responded to my plea. We are planning a story on the old Pro Comp class and I just wanted some other names outside of the usual suspects -- Veney, Armstrong. Is Wilfred Boutillier still alive and well out there?

6. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

didn't lose the point Frankie, most all of those I listed don't post here or even go on-line. With a list of names given by "reminiscing" Bobby can follow up and contact them. Bruce Horner still races and I know for a fact he doesn't go on-line. Scott Weney owns/runs S&W race cars. Etc etc, If Bobby is doing a story with the qualifier that they post on ITA and ran pro comp in the seventies I can assure you it will be a very short list/story.

7. Wes Tarkington

Wes Tarkington Megalomaniac

Division 4 was a killer Pro Comp hotbed. You had AHRA, NHRA, and an independent series all running in the region. Tracks would also put on their own shows throughout the year. A dedicated Pro Comp racer could run every single weekend in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and New Mexico. My dad and his partner ran two, sometimes three times a month from February to November. I began to believe that the back of our Ford E-350 Club Wagon vans was home and I just visited the house in Carrollton from time to time!

8. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

At times it did, leading to separate classes in 1981. There were weight breaks RE hemi, canted valve, or wedge. The dragsters had an edge with consistency (that increased on marginal tracks). The Funny Cars could make up for any disadvantage with match race options. The neat thing about the era was the variety cars and engines.

9. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Jimmy Scott

I can have Jimmy Scott contact you. He won national events back in that era. He drove such cars as the Natural Light dragsters and the Captain Crazy themed cars.
    -larry

10. cknight

cknight Member

To continue the deviation of this thread, regarding parity, there were over 20 weight to CID breaks in Pro Comp. Dependent on engine cylinder head type (wedge, canted valve, hemi), intake system (normally aspirated, supercharged, turbocharged), fuel type (gasoline, methanol, nitro), NOS (where permitted), and chassis type (dragster, funny car, altered). Bet the folks today would like to wade through those parity issues.
    Happy Thanksgiving, Chase

11. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Chase; well you certainly did your part to confuse them!:D
    I think it would have been great fun if your combo could have advanced through the years with: maybe a Whipperator on top of a PSI with the turbos still blowin' through..:eek:
    (as old as you) Bob

12. wkdivr

wkdivr Member

Ahhhhh.......the Golden Gator!!! I remember it like it was yesterday!!!

13. TAFC 5 81

TAFC 5 81 Member

One of the few Pro Comp cars you could hear the tires squeal (when standing behind it).

14. Wes Tarkington

Wes Tarkington Megalomaniac

I would LOVE to find some video of that car. I remember seeing it run one year in Indy but was too young to retain the details.

15. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

There was also a twin turbo TAD from Indiana I saw run at Columbus for two years. it would practically blow the tires off their rims on the burnout but fall flat 400 feet out during the run. that was after pro comp if i recall. Forgot the team name, someone and smith. Anyone remember this car? It may have been silver or unpainted.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  16. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Grew up in Ft Lauderdale, raced at Miami-Hollywood, one of my all time favorite cars to watch, was the twin turboed/supercharged golden gator car, was amazing, warped my fragile young mind :D Now the only rush I get, is blasting down the track in the rear engine funny car called BackMotor :D www.BackMotor.com We are an A/Fuel car, and would love it if they brought back Pro-Comp !!

17. Chris Gerber

Chris Gerber New Member

I would think that Jones and Goad would be the team you saw. They ran a twin turbo TAD and then put the motor in a BB/FC. We were towing down the return road at the Quaker City division 3 race when the funny car went through the finish line. It was the only time I ever heard the "pop" from parachutes being released.

18. JC Sparks

JC Sparks New Member

Twin Turbo AA/DA

I think that turbo dragster from Indian was Don Dean's car. I think he was in the pit next to us at the 1979 Columbus race. I was with a AA/A of Chuck Finders.

19. Chris Gerber

Chris Gerber New Member

Yes! Same car I mentioned. Dean and Goad "Turbo Shaker" driven at least later by Jones...I think.

20. LEN COTTRELL

LEN COTTRELL Member