Another Grid timing question

Discussion in 'Manton Push Rods Top Alcohol Tech Questions' started by Big Steve, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve Member

Blown BBC TD application. Using a small crab distributor cap how much timing do you think can be pulled before I start having cross fire or other issues due to rotor phase. Went 3.87 this weekend, base timing at 28*, pulling 6* with 4* back in by 1 sec. that 87 equates to about a 5.94 or so. Need to find a curve that works to slow to the 6.10 index for Houston in 2 weeks

2. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Member

Big Steve,
    You could try taking out a 0.1 at a time from 4.0 deg. until you get to your 6.10 index.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well, 360* divided by 8 is 45*. So you have 45* between posts so if you divide that by 2 then the middle crossover Point is 22.5* max theoretical degrees before you have cross fire but you never want to push it that much. If you have a fouled plug or a bad plug wire that the spark has a hard time going down then it will find another path. If all is in great shape then I would say you are safe pulling out up to 8-9* with no problem. Your plugs need to be gapped at .015-.016” to make it easy for the spark to jump when the cylinder has high pressure and lots of alcohol in it. You didn’t say if you were using a crank trigger or not.

4. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Typically I’m phased around 24, base timing at 28-31. I’ve gone down as low as 13 or maybe 12 degrees for a couple ticks (11-12 degrees out of phase). Had a friend that went 14 out of phase and claimed that’s when it started cross firing. These were crab cap crank trigger distributors.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes with a crank trigger and moving the rotor phasing like you have done you have added safet and can safely add another 4*. Wouldn’t go any further than that.

6. Big Steve

Big Steve Member

My big concern was with the crab cap because it is so small. Yea I have a crank trigger. I know someone who knock 15* out this past weekend but only for .400 and brought it all back in by 2 secs but he has a large cap. It was a procharger car and I would of thought it would cross fire but didnt and made a good pass

7. caseyspradlin

caseyspradlin Member

i have successfully pulled 12 with this distributor set up

8. Krister johansson

Krister johansson New Member

45? It is 90 "crank" degrees between cap terminal.
    My tow cent from Sweden...