AJ Fuel Head on Alcohol?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by JRB, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JRB

JRB Guest

Has anyone used his fuel head in a blown alcohol combo?

And does anyone have and idea on differences between it and the Muscle Head?

Thanks guys.

Jason

2. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

Jason, not sure if this is the FUEL HEAD you are refering to, but I run AJ stage II fuel heads on my blown hemi.

3. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

yes it will work

4. William Payne

William Payne New Member

I have a stupid question , when people ask these kind of questions I allways think to myself why wouldn't it work ? . Its not like a cylinder head knows or cares what kind of fuel is going through it , or am I missing something?

5. JRB

JRB Guest

I wasnt asking if it will work, cause yes, its a cylinder head, it has no clue what is going through it. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to know the differences between his Pro Mod style Muscle Head and his newer fuel head as far as the Runners, Ports, Chamber Sizes or anything thats different. Or if there are many at all. Obviously the chambers a a bit different.

Hope that clears up my question?

6. fasttimesracing

i would love to see what some guys out their are running and to know the pros and cons of fuel heads. im looking at a 526 aj fuel headed motor and would like to know what to expect

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

fuel head

the fuel head has a much bigger combustion chamber than the muscle head.

old fuel heads are usually a lot cheaper, but they don't perform anywhere as good as the newer heads.

william: "fuel heads" have a much bigger combustion chamber than the modern 'fat head' design most alcohol cars run. top fuel still runs the big chamber 'fuel heads' hence the name. brad anderson alky heads are referred to as 'fat heads,' and alan johnson's new alcohol head is called the 'muscle head,' as it has a smaller fat head style chamber. these heads also take a different rocker assembly and valve covers than the fatheads.

someone may correct my history here, but i think the fat head, small chamber idea has it's origins in the donovan head and i believe veney had a small chamber 'dragster' head in the early 80's. i don't know if brad or walt austin came out with the first 'fat head' design.

8. H BROWN

H BROWN blown alky

I only speak for my junk, I have to basically look for great deals on hand me down parts, mainly top fuel stuff but if you look real hard u can find stuff thats not to beat up:eek:

I can say the 170 something cc chambers take a heavy piston to fill it which adds rotating weight. my motor has 4.5 crank and 4.310 bore and AJ stage 2 fuel heads. I have an ol 1471 littlefield and a very modest fuel system, hell some one on here named Will convinced me to finally put the high speed in service.:rolleyes:

she aint pretty or fast, at a beastly #3025 we finally got her in the 4.30s @170 mph footbraking her. This year doing some major timing work with a computer and actually going to use the trans brake and we are shooting for the 20s this year. Again no bad ass car, but we have fun playing on a very small, i mean no buget and we luck out and put a few on the trailer first round:D:D

9. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i just figured i would chime in on this one........ these are just my thoughts, and i'm not trying to offend anyone here. you can make either head ( brad or fuel ) run fast. the brad has small combustion chambers, and the fuel heads have the large chambers. 90% of the alky cars run Brad stuff, the market is flooded with it, and with all of the R&D time that has been invested....the point is, they work!!! now, i am no tuning guru by any means, but there have been alot of races won with fuel heads. ask Pat Austin and Bob Newberry, they have won a few. it all comes down to tuning if you ask me. unless you are trying to rotate the earth, you can be competitive with either. i think alot of people see someone with "this" or "that" and think they have to have it. i have seen alot of people over the years outsmart themselves with the new "trick of the week".
    just my thoughts

10. fasttimesracing

thank you for the help. i still run a chevy with 360s on it . we are thinking of putting the 526 in another car we have. i really dont know anything about the hemi stuff and see the post . sounds like they will make good hp to me them

11. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

i have a friend that runs 4.15's in a 2800lb auto promod with an older 14-17 he uses brad fuel heads

12. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Veney

How does Veney's heads stack up against these?

13. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Veney has great stuff, makes lots of power. Bob Newberry ran his stuff, and i think Cy Chesterman ran Veney stuff when he won the championship a few years back. there are quite a few people running the Veney/Newberry stuff.

14. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i like the venney stuff but damn you have to change a lot of stuff i have ran good with the fuel head stuff but the venney heads i have on the bench require more money pistons lifters rockers ect........cant wait to get them on the car

15. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

The big question should be- What are you trying to do with the heads? A competitive top alcohol car uses a smaller chambered head these days. It is because the big chamber head uses a heavier piston, especially when you get into the bigger bores. Most competitive TAD/TAFC are turning the motor over 10,000 rpm, thats harder to do with heavier pistons and still keep it together. But if you aren't trying to be competitive at a National/Divisional level in NHRA events there isn't any reason you can't run the big chambered heads. No offense intended to any of the guys who don't bring a truck load of money with them to the dragstrip. I certainly don't have that kind of money so I ran big chambered Walt Austin combos for years and loved them. The bigger chamber heads were the kings in the days where NHRA allowed 125% OD on the blowers. With that OD on the blower you didn't have to turn the motor so fast. Guys were shifting them at 9400-9600 rpm. Now to recover the lost boost from the decrease in blower OD everybody turns the motors over 10,000-10,200 rpm shift points. Dave Germain

16. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Cough,..cough,......loved them......:rolleyes:

But your lovin it now,.. with that Minor Motor

:D:D:D

17. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Dave, well put..:)..secondwind racing