Air Supplied Helmets

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Rapid Randy AA/FA, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Rapid Randy AA/FA Comp Eliminator

Does anybody here use an "Air Supplied" helmet? If you do, what do you think of it??

Thanks

Rapid :cool:

[ March 31, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Randy AA/FA ]

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

MANDATORY FOR F/C- That said, I also use it in the TAD- why? cause at hot tracks and in the evening it helps to keep visor from fogging up- I don't ussually close my visor untill after the burnout, so I have had fog bother me. I have forgotten to turn off the bottle after a run, which deserves a kick in the butt, and have had tech people look at the guage in staging and comment if the bottle is low- since then, we carry a large bottle in the trailer and top up after each run.

3. Brownman

Brownman New Member

Note that the Air Bottle that you use must be the same manufactuer as the helmet that you use. Can anybody say "SIMPSON". Yes, the rule stinks as we have used some much smaller, lighter and cheaper bottles with our last car. Not a TA/FC. :D

4. Rapid Randy AA/FA

What brands of system are you guys using? It sounds like it is a bottle fed rather than a fan fed system like in the back of Nt'l dragster. Pros and cons to the systems if anybody has any. I run in the Midwest, hot humid, and fogging at nite. Really want something for the day sessions when I am in the car, waiting to run. Thanks. :cool:

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

SORRY RANDY- THOUGHT YOU MEANT THE nhra MANDATED FRESH AIR HELMET - NEVER TRIED THE ONE WITH THE FAN- MAKES SENSE TO ME- WHEN WE ARE COOKING IN THE LANES WE USE A BATTRY POWERED FAN- CHEAP BUT EFFECTIVE- HECK ONE DRAGSTER I DROVE HAD A CIGARETTE LIGHTER ON THE DASH (TEXAS TAD) AND WE GUESSED THAT IT WAS TO POWER A FAN- TROUBLE WAS THE TAD DIDN'T HAVE A BATTRY??? GO FIGURE! :rolleyes:

6. NITROITCH

NITROITCH New Member

Fan fed helmets not legal in NHRA afc or aa/fc, only Simpson air bottle with blue "approved" bottle,,,,,I suck one down every "hot" lap....get refilled from "much higher pressure large" approx 4ft tall bottle or scuba tank..when in division 4 don't leave home without it.....:)

7. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I just got my new Simpson air helmet and bottle. While they are probably the most popular, they aren't the only ones that make the bottle system as I found out just recently. The "one in the back of the national dragster" as you referred to also makes the bottle system, as well as the fan-type. On the web site they have their unit (bottle AND Simpson helmet) for $989, which is much cheaper than the Simpson stuff I think, but correct me if I am wrong. Probably would be something to look into. The web site address is: http://www.helmetventilationsystems.com/page5.html

8. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Thanks for the assistance. I will keep researching.

9. Brownman

Brownman New Member

We ran the "other" system in our last car and it works fine. The hardest thing is getting the correct part that will allow you to refill the bottles. They are a one off system. I have the set up along with four spare bottles and a trailer rack. Would part with it, but, as I said you will not get past tech unless you use a simpson. ( check the regs ) Brownman ;)

10. was R4K

was R4K Member

BROWNMAN- I FILL MY BOTTLE AT THE LOCAL FIRE STATION- YOU CAN GET THE PART YOU REQUIRE INSTALLED ON A LARGE COMPRESSED AIR BOTTLE AT YOUR LOCAL OXY SUPPLY COMPANY- COST ABOUT 150.00 WITH A 25 FOOT HOSE TO REACH FROM THE TRAILER TO THE CAR.

11. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Brownman, so you had a system like Nathan Sitko talks about in the back of the dragster? I am to then assumne you had a simpson helmet and had to buy the simpson bottle and lines to pass tech?? :eek:

12. Brownman

Brownman New Member

In a word...Yes! We were told by the D1 tech guys that would not break our stones over the issue, but if we went to a National event ...we may not pass tech. Why risk it. Simpson helmet and bottle. The fitting for the other brand is not very easy to get. The fire dept uses a cascade system, (Brother and crew men are firemen)These bottles are designed not to work with those heads / the same with the local air suppliers. They offset one of the mounting points to ensure that you can't fill them eleswhere. THe local dive shop directed us to a supplier who sold us the fitting, now we can fill our own. LOL ! Brownman :D

13. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Thanks to all you guys for the good responses. Can the simpson one be filled by local Fire Dept? Or does it have a different head on it also? :cool:

14. was R4K

was R4K Member

YES- I use a simpson and fill with the cascade system- one problem- only fills the Blue bottle to about 2600lb- when we switch to the 4500 setting on the Cascade it doesn't work- We retrofitted an Oxygen cylinder and fill it and use it to top up the Simpson bottle- This system is not required in TAD unless an enclosed cockpit so tech should not be an issue unless you are racing an f/c. [​IMG]

15. Rapid Randy AA/FA

Ok, cool. I drive a AA/FA 23t body so not enclosed this year. We are looking at a new body for next year, would be sort of enclosed. I usually just use the Funny car rules for all saftey equipment to be on the safe side. :D

[ April 01, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Randy AA/FA ]

16. Prospector

Prospector Member

I should chime in here.
    Bought the Simpson F/C RX air helmet system last season. Loved the air, hated the helmet. Couldn't see below horizontal because of the wa the eye ports were cut, and fit my head.

Bought a scubba bottle and filler hose, and just refill between rounds.

A word from the experianced. I had my new Simpson helmet roll off the roof of our car last summer. Stuff happens, it was an accident.

Because I couldn't see very well out of it, I planned to sell it and buy somthing else. The chip in the helmet from the fall worried me, so I sent it for inspection. Turns out it was damaged beyond repair according to Simpson. They told me the helmet was designed for one impact regardless of the severity.

I'm buying the new Bill Simpson Impact racing Nitro helmet for this year. I'll give you a report after I've used it. \

In the mean while. Pay attention to those helmets boys. Fumble it, and your gonna pay. =Jay

[ April 13, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Prospector ]