a fuel

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by tad2155, Dec 5, 2010.

1. tad2155

tad2155 Member

a fuel info

little info wuld it b possible to run an a-fuel engine pro mod with a lencodrive 2 speed

gk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

wouldnt it be cool to see a/fuel funnycar either nostalgia (Veneys vega) or .... ta/fc .... dont shoot the messenger haha

3. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Gene Snow was talking with us about this at Dallas, we run a Lencodrive in our TAD. I think it is very possible and would be a very neat car to watch.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

4. ITS IN MY BLOOD

,...:D

Current tipping @ 26% N/A Hillborn stack inj BBC with 2spd powerglide, No real numbers yet, But I know were my Tire Psi should be Now..:rolleyes:. Upping the dose next year for Pro Nostalgia, and or Pro 7.0..??? ...atleast on paper so far.

:cool:

5. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

gary rettel tried that a few times on fuel no rotors in the blower bolwer was just so you could start it

6. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

I think ADRL was letting a select few try injected nitro this year. I don't know the results.

7. tad2155

tad2155 Member

a-fuel pro mod

the southern outlaw series has approved me to run a -fuel engine 100 %
    were is hanna with all his insight and knowledge;)

8. ITS IN MY BLOOD

If it is a NHRA track I dont believe you can run more than 50% per NHRA rules, other than in Top alky Dragster, and the Heritage series races.

BBC on 80% is going to sound badd ass !!!!

:cool:

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

idle

Leaving at idle may be the killer, if everything else worked fine...

I had a transbrake issue one time right before q1 at a national. Weather was iffy, so we decided to leave at idle. Ran like a 6.01 or something (we ran 5.86 next hit with the tbrake). The car was very slow to react leaving off idle. We had a looser converter back then, and I don't think we tried it with the tighter converters.

Making it go somewhere when you step on it would be one problem. Might be really fast, but I'd say with current converters you would be a .150 player at the tree if you ripped it. Maybe you have to stage it really deep and a tighter converter?

The A/F motor makes quite a bit more torque at a much lower rpm range than a blower motor. Our torque converters were rated to be about 2 to 1 torque multiplication. Reaction time problems would come after you figure out how to get the beast off the line.

Just thinking this through, the motor will be constantly loaded when in gear...there is no clutch. You can go into neutral when stationary, but it's not as easy as pulling back on the shifter like an auto. You have to use the tbrake to stop the input shaft, go into neutral in the reverser, then tbrake, and into fwd or rev. I don't know if it would be prone to load up and kill a hole idling.

Direct drive on the converter is going to create an immense amount of heat in the fluid. The lencodrive is a shared fluid unit, so that superheated fluid might wreak havoc in the unit. I've seen the results of making a run when the transbrake plunger locked up and didn't release the brake. So thats another issue to tackle. Go price synthetic ATF at Autozone. It's not cheap. If you have to feed this thing synthetic ATF every run because it kills the fluid, will get expensive in a hurry.

Will it be cool if it works, damn right. Will it be as easy as switching from a clutch to a converter on a blown car, not no, but hell no. You will be a pioneer, but remember pioneers always have arrows in their backs.

At the end of the day if you want to race and go fast, I'd stick with the clutch. You would already be pioneering a new combo with the A/F doorslammer. This deal will be more headache than dealing with the clutch maintenance.

I'm sure it can be done, just don't know how easily it will be to get there, and how competitive it will be when you do get there.

10. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Didn't Tom Conway do an A/fuel Camaro about a year or so ago to be run in the ADRL and there was a pissing match between the NHRA and the ADRL as they shared some of the same tracks and the 50% rule for door cars?

11. tad2155

tad2155 Member

conway and monden had the problem with being a nhra track with adrl , the local tracks no sanction other than mtg i think is now ihra may i'll just do the clutch if i decide to do the a -fuel i new will wuld hav some good info wat ya think if regular a-fuel with clutch

12. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Af

I'm sure if someone really sticks with it and makes some laps, it will come around. I think Monden got Wooton as quick as 4.03 or so with it. About that time he bought an A/FD and I don't think that car has been out for over a year.

Gene Snow has one in the works at Monden's shop.

With some practice, I would think you could get the clutch in and out of that thing in 30 minutes or so.

13. tad2155

tad2155 Member

a mod

after talkin 2 the track last nite he offered some $$$ per event if i do one for the show it's gotta b cool with the flames and noise and maybe less work i no the dragster was

14. aj481x

aj481x Member

ADRL is 50%, this is something Kenny would like to forget about.

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

If you don't plan to chase the ADRL deal, why don't you put a nostalgia style blown nitro motor in it? I'm sure ADRL would find a spot for you....Quain talked about doing something like this a couple of years ago. Might take a bigger pump and a 44 amp mag to make it work, but this combo might work better with the converter...

16. tad2155

tad2155 Member

fuel mod

that is a good idea the IHRA cars were so cool

17. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

But your only allowed 50% Nitro!

18. tad2155

tad2155 Member

not in the outlaw series here in ala, it is real run wat ya brung,,,dont care for the adrl
    it has lost its way also

19. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Don Wooten was the one running it in ADRL, think Conway was helping. I think a 4.11 best at 180 ish or so mph. I think that NHRA mandated the 50% max on their tracks or the tracks risk losing sanction. Not sure what he ran for a transmission

20. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Was a high gear only car, w/ a loooong driveshaft, that broke more than once. Cool car though :cool: