A/FRO MEETING

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Wendland, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Lance Flanakin

Lance Flanakin New Member

Folks as a vendor for both A/Fuel and BADs I stay in neutral when things like this come up, but just as a suggestion I say, get your shit together and make it work.
    I will say this, as long as Carey Menard( former Pro Comp racer) offices with the top 3( NHRA brass ) your class is safe. However dont give him reasons to defend you.
    I tip my hat to the fuelers for figuring it out. I spent 15 years with Bubba Sewell and Jay Meyer and Saturday nights went and watched for the Sunday pairings hoping we'd get Niver first round.I'm glad I got out before he made idiots of us.
    Pro Comp ( which is what it is was called when I started) is still my favorite class and the teams that I do work for go to the head of the line when their work comes in. So needless to say I'm partial to the class.
    Work it out and Fuelers take what Wally gives you and make the best of it.
    I have over 20 years in the class and I've seen racers come and go_Only Kosky and a couple others have been doing it as long, so heed the advice of your your founding fathers.
    If you'd like to bash me or question my opinions, take it up with me after Memphis. Like a fool I've come out of crewman retirement and am working on Mitch Kings T/F. What an dumbass huh.
    I'm giving up Kalitta's hospitality buffet table so I can pull heads.

Lance Flanakin
    ps,Shelly, glad I could help out at Indy, Actually I was just coming by to hit Kosky up for a cold one and the next thing I know we're in the middle of a thrash.Enjoyed it.
    pss, Damn Rob, when you told me Friday you had something for them you were'nt screwing around. 280!! You got to be kidding me.You just forgot to tell Mikey G to go Rampy and back off at 1000 ft. you probably just tuned yourself into a CIC.

2. King Boogaloo

King Boogaloo New Member

Howsa comes I wasn't invited?

3. Wendland

Wendland Guest

King,
    Blown cars have the same ops as the a/fuel cars when it comes to low Q money. If they feel an A/Fuel car has that advantage, maybe they should go get one....Like several others have done... Who received the low money at NO PROBLEM this last weekend? Haley? By the way, who won that race? Blown car? Why are you so tied up with dragster problems when you own a funny car? I don't get it....King, thanks though for your imput...You always let everyone see both sides!!

4. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Fuel Cars,
    Everyone here can voice their opinion and I have heard yours. I post my name so that everyone knows who is posting what. I have nicknames though some of them can't be posted given to me by others..Thats why I said I don't know who you are...Who are you....I am asking in a good way....

I think that the reason more A/Fuel drivers and crew members did not join TARA is because of the cost and it's biggest issue. Pairity. Afuel drivers and owners feel that this issue will resolve itself if left alone like it has been for two years...How can you have unitiy between the two cars when there is no resolution to cure the issue? In the past, many top ten players have switched to a/fuel. Why do you think that is FC?
    Seriously, as one guy to another...Sorry about my opinion about your design, I will try to refrain myself when it comes to that kind of stuff....

5. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Rob, did you say I owned a flopper? I wish!

6. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

How, through the extinction of BAD's?

[ September 17, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Pat McGill ]

7. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

Mr. Wendland, actually, I did not state my opinion. I was simply trying to clear-up any misconception on the TARA logo design.

My name is Paul Flies and I am currently building a AA/AM altered, a blown alky setup. You probably still don't know who I am, and, I still don't know who you are either. I don't see how adding my name made it any more pertinent.

I came from the old-school of racing, do-it yourself, and, all classes are in an evolutionary state. It is up to each racer to determine how far and how fast to evolve within the class they have chosen. This weeks champ could be next weeks chump. I believe that alot of racers purchase hp and have difficulty on to how make hp for themselves.

"Parity" in a class is a perception of the majority in the class. When the majority of racers in a class say there is a problem, and, according to NHRA, the BAD's are the majority, you cannot simply ignore it and hope it will resolve itself. IMHO, the answer to the future of TAD is deeper than what has been argued. BAD's see a bleak future, the A/F saw a bleak past. Neither one is seeing the other sides view. Neither one sees what is transpiring today. Both are dividing sides up and that is not good for the class. Each side has "volunteered" what the other side should do for "parity".

I joined TARA because I thought, and still do, that a united front would have much more of a positive effect for the class. If anyone really cares about the future of TAD then they will realize the answer has to encompass both types. The BAD's should not stipulate what the A/F's must do, just as the A/F's should not stipulate what the BAD's should do. Each side must be willing to sacrifice for the future of the class good. Would you want the majority of racers, the BAD's, to leave the class? If that where to happen, you can kiss TAD goodbye. And I cannot believe that the cost was a major factor for not joining TARA. If you are not willing to spend $250.00 for future of the class of your choice, then it really is not the class you should be racing in.

I had been leaning towards the A/F side, but, after reading of the A/FRO, I am not so sure.
    A/FRO, seems to be intended for the A/F cars only, and to me, that is very divisive and not good for the future of the class.

8. Bill Severino

Bill Severino webmaster

Wow talk about hashing and re-hasing.....

9. King Boogaloo

King Boogaloo New Member

Rob,
    Thanks for the response. I'm currently not racing right now myself, but the last car I had was a alcohol dragster.

Randy G,
    For your information, it only took 2,000,000 signatures, obtained from standing out in front of K Mart, Target and Walmart to get this recall going. Since when did these establishments become the neigborhood polling booth in regards to the 32,758,000 other residents? Please tell me your smarter then some old bag jumping to attention evey time the blue light goes on!

I'm not a Davis person at all, in fact I think he is an idiot, but what this stupid recall has done is cost you and I, millions upon millions again and ultimately the man did not receive a hummer in the Governors office nor commit a crime to face such a call to arms.

Plus, if you think Arnold Sharznegger would be a better governor, well, he is just as clueless as having Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton in there, and they're brothers!

10. GUY CHAFFEE

GUY CHAFFEE New Member

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON A QUESTION I HAVE? A FEW YEARS BACK NHRA TOOK AWAY BOOST FROM THE BLOWN CARS BECAUSE OF SAFTY REASONS SINCE THEN I HAVE SEEN MORE OIL DOWNS AND CRASHES. AND NOW YOU SEE THE A/F CARS RUNNING .2OS AND SOME TEENS BUT WHEN THEY WERE RUNNING 40S AND 30S YOU DID NOT HERE FROM THEM.(NHRA) IS THE REASON BECAUSE WE AS A SPORTSMAN CLASS ARE CATCHING UP TO THEIR PRO TEAMS WHO GET THE BIG DOLLARS OR IS IT FOR SAFTY? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE 125% COME BACK AND MAYBE A CHEETER BLOWER BACK IN PRODUCTION AND LET THE BLOWN CARS HAVE THE CHANCE TO RUN 280.

11. was R4K

was R4K Member

Bill- the topic deserves to be continally rehashed because it has and will continue to evolve- NHRA will still be changing rules 50 years from now. That is a job requirement of a sanctioning body to keep racing current and vibrant! You may be tired of the topic, but it is an important one to those of us who race in this class whether you are an a/fd ot a tad.

12. Wendland

Wendland Guest

You know what really matters to NHRA? It's not if Joe is going faster than Ed....It's about money, putting on a good show for the fans who will buy lots of merchandise, food and the main sponsors products. TAD is a fill catagorie.

What they don't like is the amount of oil downs. Here is a stat you won't like but came from Jim Collins concerning oil downs:::: 90% of them come from the blown cars........This does matter to NHRA. I would like more than anything to shake hands with others and go out and race our nuts off. I really would...This is as life itself, the other side of the story. Everyone tried to bash my creditability. Why, for voicing the ideas of others in this class. I have used my own money to help this cause. I am adimant about the cause and the future of TAD. I have too been around TAD for most of my life and have givin' my fair share. As stated before, some of the members who were with TARA felt stifled, and chose not to contuinue with TARA. I think TARA is a great idea for some..Others have felt A/FRO is a great idea. If TARA would like, we could set up a meeting between the two organizations and have tea...eat a cookie...and beat on each other about parity....

13. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Rob,

You sound more and more like an a$s every day. The class is well on its way to being extinct. And the Afuel combination is much to blame. The obvious performance advantage is making the blown cars lean harder and harder on their combinations until they can't take it anymore. Most of the Afuel cars these days, are well funded teams that can take parts out of service, not replace after they break. The two cars that blew up at the grove last weekend, have no business racing in this class. Neither one of them has a chance to be competitive, and are more than likely to oil the track down as you saw last weekend.

ps. good luck Mr. Gunderson, I just wish you didn't have such an ass representing your team.

14. was R4K

was R4K Member

Dan- you are obviously more aquainted with Rob than I am, but I feel that the Gunderson family shows nothing but CLASS! and I really wonder if they would not have similar members on the team? Are we just maybe caught up in the controversy of a/fd vs bad? :confused:

15. GUY CHAFFEE

GUY CHAFFEE New Member

DAN I DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU ARE REFERRING TO ABOUT LAST WEEKEND AT GROVE BECAUSE I WAS NOT THERE BUT THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS WHERE DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY SOME ONE SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE. MY FAMILY MIGHT NOT HAVE THE FASTEST CAR AT THE TRACK BUT WE HAVE WORKED HARD TO BE THERE. IN 2000 WE SHOWED UP TO DALLAS WHERE THERE WERE 25+ FUNNY CARS WE DID NOT MAKE THE SHOW BUT WE AT THE TIME WERE PROUD. THRU THE LAST COUPLE YEARS WITH HELP FROM BAE, DAVENPORT, MOATS, STIDAM AND ALOT OF OTHER FUNNY CAR GUYS OUR PROGRAM IS COMING TO GETHER SO WHAT IS TO SAY THEM OTHER TO GUYS THAT YOU SAY HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE THERE CAN NOT END UP #1 QUALIFIER SOME DAY.. I THINK THAT IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS HERE TO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS CLASS THINKING OF WHO SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE. WE HAVE TO REMEMBER WE ARE A SPORTSMAN CLASS. YES I AGREE WE SHOULD ACT LIKE PROS, BUT WE SHOULD REMEMBER WHERE MOST OF OUR CLASSMATE COME FROM LIKE THE BACK YARD GARAGES AND LITTLE REPAIR SHOPS, TO JUST CHASE A DREAM TO SOMEDAY WIN A WALLY.

16. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Dan
    Always great to hear from you, I see you have diahrea of the mouth again.

Please leave Mike and his family members out of this, now it's between me and you. Nothing that I personally state comes from the lips of Mike. I am my own asshole. I would like to invite you to an A/FRO meeting to hear your side. Please e-mail on a location that would suit you...??? Thanks for your input. JO.....

17. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

Originally posted by Lance Flanakin

(I tip my hat to the fuelers for figuring it out. I spent 15 years with Bubba Sewell and Jay Meyer and Saturday nights went and watched for the Sunday pairings hoping we'd get Niver first round.I'm glad I got out before he made idiots of us.)

Hey Lance, thanks for the back-handed compliment (and I truly hope it was a compliment). I would like to think that we (the Niver team) is one of the more-respected teams in the class, even though we aren't one of the elite teams in performance. Anyway, what do they say? Bad press is better than no press!! LOL

18. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Mr. Wendland,
    I have spent that past hour and a half reading up on your thoughts here. The one opinion you have stated time and again is that the A/FD folks have no representation on the Top Alcohol Racers Association web site in the graphics. This one I would like to put to rest permanently. Let me start by saying that I volunteer my time to help the Top Alcohol Racers Association by building their site. I am not a member per se, but I do what I can to help them out. I am not here to debate the parity issue. I have not the knowledge nor the inclination to do so. I am just a fan of the sport. With that said, I have cut out the left top hand side of the header at the Top Alcohol Racers Association web site. Here is the cropped picture.

[​IMG]

I know for a fact that this dragster shown here is an A/Fuel Dragster, manipulated with Photoshop. I know this because I took the picture myself earlier this year at Firebird International Raceway. The picture is a shot of Mark Nivers A/Fuel Dragster. I did this just because I had a premonition that it might cause sour grapes if no A/Fuel Dragsters were used, such as your posted complaints. I am currently working on a revamp of the site which will include an equal amount of A/Fuel and TAD Dragster graphics and pictures, along with an equal amount of TAFC representation as well. I have no control over the logo itself. The site itself was never built for just the TAD folks or just the TAFC folks. Maybe I am remiss in my duties by not updating the site sooner. All I can say is that I have a couple of sites that I have built and maintain along with my paying day job. There was never an intent to not include the A/Fuel cars. That impression is a shortcoming on my part, that will be rectified in the next few weeks. I think your cheap shots at Shelly Howard are nothing but sour grapes and do nothing to improve your standing in the community. You may not like Mrs Howard, and that is your choice, but by attacking her publicly and not having the whole story is childish at best. I am sure the NHRA is just thrilled to read what you have posted here, as far as your negative and accusatory remarks against some racers here. I am sure this will incline them to take you more seriously than they have taken the Top Alcohol Racers Association. I do not hide behind a nickname. My name is Mark King. I am the webmaster of DeepStage.net. My email address is sharky@deepstage.net By the way, I have very thick skin my friend, fire away........

Mark

19. GUY CHAFFEE

GUY CHAFFEE New Member

MARK, I BELEAVE EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SAY HIS WORD. BUT I HAVE READ THIS FORUM TWICE AND I HAVE NOT SEEN WHERE ROB HAS PUT DOWN SHELLY HOWARD. THE SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN MY FATHER WAS ASKING SOME QUESTIONS A FEW MONTHS AGO WHEN YOU RAN TO HER DEFENSE. I WOULD LIKE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW SINCE THEN (IN BRAINERD MN) WHEN MY FAMILY HAD SOME HEAD PROBLEMS SHELLY AND PAUL TRIED TO HELP US OUT AND I THANK THEM BOTH FOR THAT. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM. BUT WHEN YOU BRING SHELLY INTO A ISSUE I THINK IT IS BAD BISSS. I HAVE ALSO MET ROB AND HE HAS BEEN AROUND NHRA FOR ALOT LONGER THAN MOST OF US AND HE ALSO HOLDS RESPECT OF ALOT OF VETERAN RACERS IN THE TOP ALCOHOL CLASSES. THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME NHRA HAS PUT THE AXE IN A CLASS. LOOK WHEN THEY ALLOWED THE SCREW BLOW AND THE ONLY RACERS THAT HAD THEM WERE THE ONES WHO COULD AFFORD THEM. IT IS NO DIFFERENT NOW. BUT I THINK THIS ISSUE DOES NOT HAVE TO DO WITH MONEY. NHRA TOOK THE POWER AWAY FROM THE BLOWN CARS. SO I SAY GIVE BACK THE 125% INSTED OF TAKING THE LIFE AWAY FROM THE A/F CARS THE BLOWN CARS STILL HAVE DATA SOME WHERE WHEN THEY WHERE LIVING LARGE. AND ROB WHILE YOUR ON A ROLE SEE IF YOU CAN GET A/F FOR FUNNY CAR I KNOW SOME GUYS THAT ARE CHOMPEN AT THE BIT TO GIVE IT A TRY..

20. David Smith

David Smith Member

Guy Chaffee hope this link works but A/FRO Thread on this forum had some things said about Shelly that I did not like either. If link does not work click on pit buzz and the Header title is A/FRO A/FUEL RACERS ORGANIZATION .

I really hope all these racers can work something out some of these postings have been outright crazy, slanderous and getting no one anywhere at all.All its doing is causing lose of respect for eachother and the Top Alcohol class as a whole and must of all ruining friendships. I never seen such low balling before and this is by both camps a/fuel and blown car teams. I know most of these people and just can't believe what the heck I am hearing at times right now.