A/Foolishhhhhh

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by G.Reichert, Feb 18, 2004.

1. eps938

eps938 Super Comp

You are not paying attention. I said I have great admiration for the amateurs who perform well. Some are every bit as professional as "Professionals" Outfits like Manzo, Randy Meyer, Darien and Niver among others are the exceptional examples. Peace be with you my son. The Reverend Doctor EPS

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the safety aspect doesn't need to be just directed at the new guys, it needs to be a continuous effort done by EVERY team. i dont think it matters if you've been doing this 20 years or 20 days, an a/fuel team should discuss safety on a daily basis.

3. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

YOU ARE RIGHT WILL! ! ! ! ! !

4. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Ch3 No2, I thought TFD's run more like 8 to1 Compression. Who runs 6.5?

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

All top fuelers run around 6.5, maybe 7 to 1. I've never heard of anything higher than that. With a blower the nitro doesn't like much compression. It starts to get mad and goes boom!!!

[ February 24, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: ch3no2 ]

6. '66 Vette

'66 Vette New Member

Speaking of going boom, anyone know what happens when you have an a/fueler, and someone puts nitro in the warm-up tank, instead of alcohol?

7. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

No, but I bet there's a loud noise involved!

8. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I dought it would do anything but start and run.
    The alcohol nozzles are small and if the engine is turning over when the mag is energised it will prob. do nothing but start or at least try to run.
    Might be a little on the lean side!
    Injected fuel engines have not always used alcohol to aid in starting.

9. '66 Vette

'66 Vette New Member

hawk,

Sounds like you need to get educated, as did one of the teams in Pomona. Make sure you have some spare head gaskets and rods.

10. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Hawk,

I think your wrong. It would scatter some parts. 12 to 1 compression squeezes pretty hard.

Vette

Who had trouble in Pomona?

11. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Sounds like 66 Vette needs to get a little educated also. There was a team in Pomona who had an incident but no damage. The warm up tank was not filled with nitro. There was a small percentage in the tank but noting much. No damage. No harm.

12. The Zone

The Zone Member

Actually Larry, the team did apparantly change the rods and pistons after the lift off. This I heard from an A/fuel team next door to them. It was a slip up for sure. The team did recover quite nicely afterward.

Larry you should head up to Mission this year for the div race. No charge up here in the "Land of the Leaders". Ya I know you finished in the top ten so you don't have topay but it is still a great trip and we are having a golf tournament this year on the Wednesday.
    Dean

Dean

13. David Pace

David Pace New Member

I'm with Nitrohawk. Unless the weather's too cold (the engine, too) and it's 98%, it should just start and run lean. I know some guys who are still starting one right off the fuel shutoff-no alky tank at all. Nothing new about it.

14. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Without giving my age away I will tell you that I have been fuel cars as owner and driver for many years.
    The one problem that I have observed with some fuel cars when cranking is that they pull the mag grounding wires turn on the alcohol and then hit the starter button.
    This scares me to death as it is sure one day to cause serious problems.

15. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Actually Dean, they only changed rods and pistons as a time saving effort. Everything checked out fine. They checked out the rods and pistons after the fact. Most good teams would not take a chance and do the same. Remember.....Dana and Ralph are San Diego boys as are my guys......

I would love to visit your land. But us So. Cal. boys need to find an adequate budget to visit your great land.............
    -L

16. was R4K

was R4K Member

Larry- coming to Canada to race is "almost free" Give us a 20 bill for a meal or whatever that costs 20 and we will give you change, just for coming! ;)