8 car field IHRA funny car..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by M Tigges, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

Nick,

When did this happen? I don't recall hearing anything about it. I asumed the injected nitro combo was ruled out because of furor raised by the alky guys over Wies' 244 mph pass at Norwalk.

I also don't think IHRA has anything against alky funnies at all. They are an important part of IHRA's show. But you can't advertise 16 car fields if you can't fill them. Lack of participation is the reason IHRA has no fuel funnies and an 8 car Top Fuel field. Allowing screw blowers doesn't seem to be a solution either.

2. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

I wanna say it was the cavilieri's (spelling) i do believe and I think it was in the pits at norwalk. Somebody help me out here.

3. JLibby AFC142

JLibby AFC142 double throw-down

to flash if you let the screw cars in what do you tell all the faithful ihra roots cars...Suckit? Happy thanks giving everyone We are getting ready to eat Thanksgiving dinner at the Tigges's and the Turkeys smells great however we are all 3 sheets to the wind and could care less abpout rt5acing right now

4. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Happy Turkey Day to the Tigges family I hope you guys have a great day. And Jim have another one for me.

[ November 25, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: nick bell ]

5. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Nick it was the RETELL BROS.AT NORWALK we were 3 trailers away man what a BOOM!!

6. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

HEY FLASH , IT' JUST NOT THAT EASY AND IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WHY GUYS RUNNING FOR $10,000 WOULD SPEND AN EXTRA $15,000(PSI$$ DIFFERENCE AND REAR GEAR AND RATIO'S ETC)TO GO RACE FOR $5000.00 TO WIN ! IT DOESN'T ADD UP TO ME WHAT AM I MISSING ??? I WOULD THINK OTHER THAN CERTAIN PEOPLE BY LOCATION LIMITATIONS YOU SCREWED GUYS SHOULD BE BUYING A CHEAP OLD ROOTS BLOWER AND COME ON OVER FOR THE EASY MONEY. WITH ALL THE EXPERIENCE AND HAVING THE MOTOR SORTED OUT AND HAPPY YOU GUY'S WOULD DO VERY WELL OTHER THAN THE CONFLICTS OF RACING FOR THE INFERIOR SANCTIONING BODY .

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

hey les, it works the same way with money going to a screw as going from a screw. to seriously compete you need the latest littlefield or kobelco , a carbon hat and gears. nothing is easy to go back or forth. i think in the end we all get screwed. also there isn't any way in my opinion to combine roots cars with screw cars. i have run with both combos and unless you made the screw cars weigh 2400 lbs.

8. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

M Tigges,

Thanks fo the info.

Nick

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

hey WILL thanks for this fine place so all us can discuss our opinions its really great.

10. flash

flash top alcohol

les mellows-well the money just got a lot harder for the little guy !! and I am sure all of you roots guys buy the cheapest old roots blower you can find,don't you? it cost a lot of money to do this which ever combo you run. the fact is nothing ever stays the same! and your loyalty to ihra and the roots combination just got you screwed!! I don't have the answer to the problem that we all are facing-low car counts,cost to race is skyrocketing,a lot of good racers are getting out and young blood is not replacing them.it just looks like combining all the funny cars under a uniform set of rules -that work-is in the best interest of all people concerned!!

11. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Ok, it's 8 cars. How about they make us the headliners at the Div. races also. This way we could race a little closer to home and give the fans something they may never seen before?

[ November 25, 2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Funnycarbob ]

12. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Lets say for a minute that for the sake of the class flash is right. Maybe we do need a unified set of rules, anyone got any bright ideas. Alright so we know that you cant speed a roots car up to compete with the screw so how would you slow them down and keep them slowed down. Add weight? Restrict the timing? I mean I dont know. I dont really like the idea, we all know the NHRA isnt interested in helping make the roots cars competetive so I guess then theres no reason for the IHRA to allow the screw cars to run over there.

13. The Zone

The Zone Member

How many Pro Am tracks are good enough for top alky funny cars.

Dean

14. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I remember back in '92 Brad Anderson had told NHRA that they(Alky guys) didn't need the Whipple. Pat Austin showed at some race with it, NHRA didn't say anything about it and Hence the Blower wars began!

15. prosportchoppers

prosportchoppers alcohol dragster

I THINK THAT FAT HEAD JOE HAS A GOOD IDEA. A BLOWN ALTERED CLASS ON THE EAST COAST WOULD BE GREAT. HELL HOW ABOUT IHRA RUNS ALTERED BODIES ON THE FUNNYCARS. SAME RULES ONLY ALTERED BODIES.
    THAT WOULD GET THE FANS ON THIER FEET. THEY HAVE BEEN RUNNING THIS TYPE OF THING ON THE WEST COAST FOR YEARS AND THE FANS LOVE THEM. THIS WOULD GIVE IHRA A CLASS THAT COULD BE TELEVISED THAT NHRA DOES NOT HAVE. THIS COULD BE AWESOME.

16. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

In 1994 as far as i can remember 46 over was the limit on whipples. Newberry and Randy Anderson said they were going to run PSI's in 1995, Newb went to houston in spring 95 and ran 70's all weeekend at like 246 @ 125 over, just like the 9 finger lockup clutch (with witch a rule of only six fingers were allowed) then that same year all of a sudden you could turn the -980 60 over. if iam not perfectly accurate im sure someone will help me out!? then the race was on -980 was better than b series PSI so everyone had to have it(because Newberry was first to go 250 with it). the rest is history IT WAS REDICULIS FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS!

17. Tad117

Tad117 Member

I hate to disagree but I had heck of a alot more fun at the track from 95 to 99. I was more pissed at the two following years with rules changes one right after the other.

18. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

Hay I'am game for a ALTERED CLASS. I have a brand new Body and wing in the rafters. I was going to use it at MIR for the Outlaw supercharger class but it would be cool with wind in my face. Less trouble if your on fire.

19. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

funnycarbob......
    we have a blown altered, and built it for the sole purpose of running ihra. the class was called SUPER ELIMINATOR....remember that one? well, we and alot of other teams got the shaft on that one! they gave us 3 years(IHRA) to have the class be "self supportive". we did that and then some....the next thing we know there is a meeting at norwalk, and we got the news. "you guys have been replaced by TOP STOCK ELIMINATOR."
    i mean we had blown small block dragsters,blown hemi altereds,big block nitrous dragsters that ran in the 6.0's an over 230. i guess that wasn't exciting enough for Bader. honestly, look in the stands when the fast cars get thru running, they empty pretty fast. it's a real shame that IHRA doesn't take the racers opinions to heart more than they do.the whole problem was they didn't want to police the class. there were too many different combinations out there....and they basically said "screw this,we're going to drop this headache." so guys, i wouldn't get too excited on IHRA changing the rules to accomodate the racers.....been there, done that. they used to be a great organization to run for, now all they care about is putting on a 4-5 hr. show. watch and see, it's coming. i would love to be able to run an alky funny, but it's not in the budget right now.i wish you guys all the best this year, and i hope everyone has a great season.
    p.s. lol anyone know where i can run my car this year? we have a blown altered on alky.
    thanks for listening to me vent a little
    darren

20. Thurston

Thurston New

Adam,

You were looking for information about the World Alochol Racers, go to www.worldalcoholracers.com/
    they have just updated thier web site. You will find information on the two races I mentioned and info on the racing format and payout. This is a great place to run if your an alky funny, a blown alky dragster with a roots or screw blower, or a injected Nitro dragster, or a Pro Modified At this time the only restriction they have is on the funny cars they must be a roots blower - no screw blowers. There hase been some talk about alowing screw blowers but not until next year. Also they are talking about alowing injected Nitro funny cars but they don,t believe any exist. They might allow them if they could get a committment from 3 or 4 Nitro funny car racers.

Thurston