8 car field IHRA funny car..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by M Tigges, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Prospector

Prospector Member

Concerning our Edmonton track.

I'm thinking that about 9 of the cars to hit the Edmonton event are our local guys, and these guys pretty much don't really have a hope of winning the race.

With entry fees, memberships, crew entry, camping fee's ect for that event, I wonder if any of the nine would fork out $600.00 - $1000.00 (per team) just to try to get into the 8 car field. I also wonder how many butts in the stands are paying to see there own local teams give the big guys a run for there money.

This ruling will absolutely effect my decision to move up to IHRA f/c. My home track is surrounded by NHRA tracks. Why would I ever bother going with a screw blower, if I only could race it once a year, and that's a race I likely wouldn't qualify for anyways. They are there to compete, and enjoy the exposure the nats brings.

Geeze, I feel sorry for our locals that did spend the money to change over, now.

Reading Scooters letter over, It seems to me that despite the fact he says the classes best interests are in mind, you have to assume otherwise. His logic isn't logical. 14 cars? its and 8 car race, 17 cars, its a 16 car race. How tuff is that?

Jay Mageau

2. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Well, it would be "more fair" but not "fair". Fell the sudden urge to sell and go farming. Extremely dissapointed with the decision that was made, as I'm sure a few others are at least. We just put this Funny Car together last winter, we were really looking forward to going some rounds next season at our home track national event, but if we're gonna have to murder it to qualify we may not have enough parts to race on Sunday! Last year in Edmonton the #8 spot was a 6.26/225mph, on a miserable weekend where there were only 2 qualifying shots...so it'd be pretty tough if there were 2 more shots at it by everyone.

3. Tad117

Tad117 Member

I know it is terible to see the field cut in half but 10 grand to win and only three runs on Sunday might not be all that bad. Sure a hell of a better pay out than a divisional race

4. I'm Not too familiar with IHRA. But when you say 10 Grand to the winner is that at a divisional or a national

5. Outlaw Nick

Outlaw Nick Top Dragster

National. IHRA does not contest A/FC at the divisional level.

6. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I bet if NHRA discontinued Alky classes at Div. races the car counts at the Natls. would increase!

7. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

This really sucks for the IHRA guys.

I wonder if IHRA had allowed the screw blower, would they have had the same problems? IMO they dug their own grave. I know for a fact that the San Antonio race had low car count because of it.

I quess if your one of the top 10 or so teams I bet your licking your chops at that prize money though. Thats a good payout. I'll bet you will see some NHRA teams put together some combo's to try and win that $10,000. I wound'nt be surprised to see Manzo, Newberry, and a couple of the other NHRA teams give it a try.

Bad, bad deal for new teams.

[ November 24, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: ROF ]

8. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

I spent the last 3 years getting the car together, finally got my license in july and was very much looking forward to trying to qualify in the last few spots of the field next year at select events around home. I had no wild dreams of competing for the win or for points but with 16 cars there was the chance of getting in and having a good time for the weekend and getting some of the entry, crew fees back.
    Well there goes that idea. Now I need to think about that screw blower...See you all in about another 3 years.

9. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

LOOKS LIKE REV JIM HARTLEY OF (ICRA)IS GONE FROM IHRA, HE WASN'T AT THE LAST 2 RACES ETHIER. SOMETHINGS GOING ON!!

10. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

NO MONEY FOR ALKY CARS, CANT PROMOTE EM MAJORITY OF FANS DONT LIKE THEM, TORCO IS THROWING IN THE MONEY FOR PROSTOCK AND PROMOD. BOTH CLASSES FULL OF CORPORATE PEOPLE.

11. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

MARK , REV. JIM HARTLEY WAS AT ROB' WEDDING LAST WEEK AND HE HAS HAD A RIFT WITH THE IHRA SINCE THE START OF THE YEAR, AND ALTHOUGH I BELIEVE HE WOULD LIKE NOTHING MORE THAN TO RETURN AS A MAINSTAY WITH IHRA HE HAS HAD TO KEEP MOVING HIS GOALS FORWARD AND HAS FILLED HIS DATES WITH OTHER WAYS AND SHOWS TO SELL THE TICKETS FOR THE HABITAT PROJECTS THAT ARE DEVELOPED THROUGH HIS RAFFLE.
    AS FAR AS THE "SCOOTER ERA " ITS HERE BIG AS LIFE AND ALL THAT ARE WILLING,WILL GO FOR A RIDE TILL HE DECIDES THAT HE IS WILLING OR NEEDS TO CHANGE IT AGAIN . IF (NOT REALISTICALLY) BUT IF THE CAR COUNTS OR TOTAL RACERS PER YEAR WERE TO INCREASE TO THE 2000/2001 NUMBERS THEY MAY IN FACT GO BACK TO 16 CARS (JUST NOT LIKELY).

12. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

oh hell so much for trying to put something together

13. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

be lucky if 12 cars show up.WHICH IS WHAT THEY WANT. we dont go racing based on the payout it something we love to do. theres people that would just race for the trophy im sure.

14. Thurston

Thurston New

Hey, Alkyholic, keep the faith, there are alternitives to IHRA, and a less expensive one at that. Especially if your from the upper midwest or southern Ontario. The World Alochol Racers (WAR) have two races booked at National event tracks and are working on 3 or 4 more races for next season. We had planed on running as many WAR races as possiable (working on our tune up while compeating for the dollars they have to offer) as long as the race did not conflict with IHRA races, but now it look like we'll be doing it the other way around. Running IHRA when they don't conflict with the WAR races.

I would realy like to know what TTUTUBONO heard the fans saying about Funny Car, would you care to share this with everyone?

15. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

Thanks Thurston, its just a little disheartening.
    Is there any info you can post on the WAR schedule or contact information for next year? I may need to do that till I can step up the program or switch sanctioning bodies.

What I really don't understand is how they believe this will help the class in any way, shape or form. There has to be more to come.

16. Thurston

Thurston New

Gene,

In no way did I think you were the enemy, and I certainly did not mean to give that impression. I only wanted to better understand what the fans were saying and maybe better understand why IHRA made the decision to cut back to 8 cars. Just wondering if fan reaction to IHRA funny cars had any influence on thier decision.
    True that it’s hard to keep fan in their seats for the Alcohol cars after watching Nitro at NHRA events, but I have seen the stand full of spectators at IHRA races when the Funny Cars run. You have to remember IHRA does not have fuel funny cars, so next to Top Fuel, IHRA funny cars are the quickest and fastest things on the track.

Thurston

17. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

If this new payout is 10K to win, 5K runner-up. What does first, second round pay?

18. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

$1750 and $2000

19. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

How about Clasic style body? It seems to be the craze. Then we could justfy a sec. slower than AA\FC

20. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

DARREN , $1750. 1ST ROUND
    $2000. 2ND ROUND

THIS IS STILL A FAR BETTER PAY OUT THAN NHRA HAS TO OFFER, AND THEIR DIVISIONALS ARE ONLY 8 CARS ??
    SO WHY IS THERE A DECISION FOR SANCTIONING BODIES ? IF YOUR INTENT WAS TO RUN IHRA THEN DO IT,JUST SPEND EXTRA TIME IF YOU ARE STARTING OUT TO REFINE YOUR PROGRAM SO THAT YOU DON'T FEEL YOU HAVE WASTED YOUR ENTRY FEE. YOU CAN'T TELL ME BUYING A SCREW IS EASIER TO GET A HOLD OF ?? THATS JUST ABSURD , AND IT ISN'T CHEAPER , ASK ANY WHO HAVE TRIED TO RUN MID 60'S. THE FACT REMAINS IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE EASY OR CHEAP, STAY WITHIN YOUR MEANS AND DO WHATEVER IS FUN FOR YOU . TO THE F/C BOB'S WHO REALLY TALKED MORE THAN THEY DID,IT HASN'T CHANGED YOUR LIFE , THE MOST COMPLAINTS ON THIS THREAD ARE FROM THOSE WHO WERE "GONNA RUN" OR LIKE BRUCE MULLINS WHO HAD IHRA DO BAD THINGS TO HIM (BY THE WAY WE WERE 3 TRAILERS FROM THAT TERRIBLE PIT THAT HE SAID HE HAD). REALISTICALLY THIS HAS CHANGED 4-5 TEAMS VIEWS ON WHETHER TO STAY OR GO TO AN EVENT AND IT HAS CHANGED THE LIVES OF 7-8 TEAMS FROM WESTERN CANADA WHO HAD BOUGHT GREAT CARS AND MADE HUGE STRIDES TO IMPROVE THEIR EXPOSER IN A GROWING AND DEPRIVED MARKET IN EDMONTON ( AND THOSE FANS LOVE FUNNY CARS !) ITS A BIG ADJUSTMENT FOR ALL CONCERNED.