-6 to -8 pressure drop

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Don Onimus, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Is there alot of pressure drop between a -6 &-8 hose? Want to put -8 on my powerglide to coolers. I figure length and ends factor into it, but just general ideas.I be leave in volume over pressure, Since I can turn up the pressure in the trans.anyway. Anyone got any ideas? Don

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Depends on how good the pump is. Don't know how the pressure of the pump is. Most likely it will not be much of a drop.

3. Moore

Moore New Member

-6 vs. -8

Depends on the gallons /min., the pressure of the pump, the length of the hose & the type of fittings on the ends of the hose. You can google "Hydraulic oil pressure vs. hose size" and finds lot of info to help answer your question if you have the input info.

4. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

Don't they only have a 1/4" npt hole? The ID of the fitting will tell you what size line makes sense. Bettin on 6.

5. fastavenger 588

fastavenger 588 New Member

trans

it only moves about a quart on a good run 6.00 dont waste your time

6. Kendrick Roberts

The pressure in the cooler is determined more by the size of the passages in the return section of the trans itself. It (the cooler) is fed directly out of the converter which in turn is fed by the pressure regulator (unless you are running an aluminum VB, then the feed is .078"). The larger line will add weight to your car and slow the speed of the fluid in the line, but nothing else. If you want it cooler, make the cooler bigger.
    Some of the ringless shaft designs have reduced the flow through the cooler and those can be harder to control the temps on. The ringless shaft configuration that puts a bushing in the stator where the rings used to be does a good job of separating the hot fluid from the cool fluid.
    Hope this helps.

7. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

pressure drop

Yes I want to slow the fluid down some. My input is the one with the bushing. I also am going to run a shogun cooler = 5 + qts. it is -8 in & out + a B&M cooler..1/2 " pipe in & out. I also run light weight lines so I am not worried about extra weight. Also I machined the inside of all the pipe to AN fittings. I want to thank everyone with there answers. I haven't read anything to make me think it would be a bad idea. may run it both ways and see if I can tell the difference. Thanks to everyone Don