44 Amp Mag , running time.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by lucky devil, May 1, 2013.

1. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

I had. Friend call today , he asked if I had ever heard of a points box going bad after a couple of minutes continuous running , he has been told its a known issue.

Has anyone experienced this ???

2. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

I'm thinking there are Bonneville cars running them successfully for extended periods ---

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have done warm ups longer than two minutes. Never had or heard of that. I mean they are not designed for street use continuous running.

4. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

That was my response too Mike , the story is that a twin pro charged "street motor" running a 44amp mag , has a problem with the points box. This is all on the Dyno.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

points box

sounds like a bad points box

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Boy, and we do get bad ones. Lol

7. fed-west

fed-west Member

About a year ago I contacted MSD and asked to talk to someone in the Mag shop. I said I was interested in running a 44 pro mag for extended periods of time. He ask me how long is extended and I said 2 to 3 minutes. He told me the mag would probably be OK for that amount of time, but no way would the box survive. He said that in the shop they have had boxes explode do to overheating, and that there really was no way to keep the box cool even with extensive heat sinks.

Also I was talking under load and not at an idle or motor warm up type deal. He recommended that I look into hopped up 12's converted to 20 amps and put lots of heat sinks on the boxes and in an area that gets good airflow.

Disclaimer, this information is one year old.

Tom

8. blown375

blown375 New Member

I have had one go bad and I was told that it got run too long and overheated it.

9. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

Thank you for all the replies , very helpful.

Thanks for the site Will :cool:

Wayne

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Here is the answer from Mr Pro Mag, Joe Pando of MSD.
    I quote "Donnie Cummings from Racepak ran this blown fuel roadster on the 5 mile track on salt flats. Basically a Top Fuel dragster engine blown hemi on fuel.
    This includes warm and run. Load and on load doesn't make that much difference." unquote.

So there you are.

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

extended time

2-3 minutes is hardly extended amount of time. An average pair of cars takes 2-3 minutes to run. Pro Mods in many instances will start up before the next pair is done.

Yes the points box does get hot. I would think 'extended' time would be north of 6-8 minutes. 2-5 min should be well in the 'normal' range.

12. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

That's exactly the car I was thinking of in my earlier post------------------the other issue that used to be talked about but isn't too much is the ground wires used from the heads , block to a common ground with the box and coils which what was supposed to help the box problem years ago --- does the OP have ground wires on his car ?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. fed-west

fed-west Member

Thanks Mike. I don't know why the tech guy told me what he did but that is the story I got.

As far as the Roadster at Bonneville goes I saw a video of the record run. The warmup before being pushed off was 1 minute. Also even though they were on the five mile course, they only ran 3 miles, and the reason was that their fuel tank was not big enough to go any farther. The total time for that particular run with the warmup was probably around 3 minutes, maybe less. Also on the record run Dave Davidson was the driver.

You can read more at http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_16314624

Tom

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  14. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

We covered the ground wire situation , and that is ok. I speak from personal experience with that issue.

I have some in car footage of a run we did here at Santa Pod . The overall run time was 3.15. We do spend a long time warming the car up in the pit , usually have the oil up to 150 before starting and get it to 180 , then switch the motor off. Iam going to time it next time round.

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The Point Box sometimes just fails regardless of run time. Most of the time they can be fixed by MSD or Leahy for a lot cheaper than the $700 to get a new one

16. 182 TAD

182 TAD New Member

Hydroplane Racing here with that MSD Pro Mag stuff , 5 minutes warm up going around the 1 miles course and then another 4 laps for the race , 10 to 12 minutes running time with no problem. Blown BBC burning up to 30 Gal of Methanol for a single race !!!!

Hope this help !!!:eek:

Serge........

17. eli

eli Banned

Hey Serge,
    Long time no see,
    hows it going?
    PM me before some one yells at me!
    Gene.

18. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

plugs

Gene now that you brought up about N57drs I have a few that never seen spark I guess they should be worth a beer each?

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I remember those plugs. They were used in Formula One racing and in aircraft engines. I guess that they either became too expensive to make or NGK spent more money on advertising

20. eli

eli Banned

Counterfit NGK Plugs

http://www.ngkbusi.com/index.php/nws/15-ep

Some a$$hole always got to make me crazy.