40 spline axles & spools, MW / Strange

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by thjts, Feb 25, 2008.

1. thjts

thjts New Member

Does anyone know (with regards to the splines) if you can mix axles and spools from these two manufacturers? I've heard some say yes and others say no.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. vwsamba

vwsamba Member

splines

i'm going to say a definate NO.i have 35 spline MW floater axles and they did not go anywhere near a 35 spline strange spool.i called MW and they said their spline pattern is unique so i had to get a MW spool......fitted up again..........:rolleyes:

3. Bob69

Bob69 Member

The teeth angles are differnet from the manufacturer to manufacturer, dont try mixing or forcing.

4. thjts

thjts New Member

Well, here's a turn-up for the books;

'fast-et', 'Blownalky', and 'Chi Town Brown' have all said the 40 spline are the same, but the other splines aren't. In fact, 'Blownalky' says he has got both and they fit together.

The only issue is (to quote 'Chi Town Brown'); 'MW spools are splined at the outer ends of the spool under the bearings. Strange is splined in the middle'. Strange must have changed their design as the spool in my PRF220 center section is splined nearly all the way through. There is a very narrow section in the middle that is not splined, but a one-piece axle will still go all the way through. Or maybe it's just that particular spool.

5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

I run two piece MW floater axles, 40 spline, with a strange 40 spline spool. Seems to fit fine, however, with the splines in the spool and end of floater housing ends it sure seems to have more "slop" than my old 40 spline plain axles did before I went to a floater rear, is this normal? In other words, when on the stands you can rock the rear wheels back and forth a bit before the coupler moves, seems like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play.

6. IGO1320

IGO1320 T/D 2268

slop

how much of that play is ring and pinion backlash?

7. thjts

thjts New Member

I would expect there to be more free-play than with your old axles because there are more 'joints' in the driveline. With your old axles, the wheel flange and axles are all one piece, whereas with a floater there is a 'joint' between the axles and the drive plates.
    In an ideal world there should be no free-play in a drive system of splines, but there will always be some, otherwise you wouldn't be able to assemble it. All that free-play adds up. Add that to the free-play in the diff gears, and multiply it by the diameter of your tyres, and there's where your 1/4 - 1/2" movement will be coming from. But check it all out to be certain.

8. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Kind of what I was thinking, thanks guys.

9. thjts

thjts New Member

Final Word

I have taken delivery of a pair of MW axles, and they fit my Strange center section very nicely.

Note; these are 40 spline.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  10. Alkyguy

Alkyguy New Member

mw uses a different pitch than strange except on 40 spline